It's Easter, lay an egg!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh no :( I almost forgot about Easter. I dread Easter! Does any other country have this pre-Christian Easter fire tradition? (Not that the sacrificial eggs and bunnies to honor the fertility goddess Eostre are a Christian tradition. They too are as pagan as a christmas tree).

In many German regions, people are gathering around huge bonfires on Saturday or Sunday evening, and let them burn until deep into the night.  For many, it's a great excuse to burn yard trimmings and other garden rubbish, often along with old furniture that adds burnt lacquer and wood preservative to the already poisonous smoke.

In some parts of Germany, the arsonists stick to rural areas. But around here, everybody lights a fire in their backyard in order to greatly increase their CO2 footprint, roast some hedgehogs that love to hide in the wood piles, condemn the first brood of countless songbirds to a slow and painful death by smoke poisoning, and generally cause a huge amount of stress and panic among the terrified local wildlife, pets and livestock.

Aside from the abovementioned environmental disasters, and the fact that this madness occasionally causes a house to catch fire, the firebugs manage to cover the entire city in thick smog saturated with carcinogenic hydrocarbons that takes days to dissipate. And since I have to air the rooms at some point unless I want to try and breathe my own carbon monoxide, the stench gets everywhere and seeps into all fabrics and clothes. I'm going to smell like a house fire survivor for an entire week.

If they at least held an orgy at the Beltane / Eostre fires like our distant ancestors used to do. But no, all they do is get drunk and p*** or barf into the flames. Needless to say that I hate this time of the year with a passion. I mean, the neanderthals might as well have an annual well poisoning event and pour some arsenic into the city's water supply. Wouldn't make much of a difference for the environment and the public health record.

I didn't know about these German traditions. How interesting to see how different the celebrations can be in other countries.I had never heard about Easter fire.

The Easter eggs hunting is also completely pagan in France. It is rather an innocent game for kids and I cannot remember of any adult participating except for hiding the eggs all over the gardens. Obviously, in cities when people live piled up in appartements, this tradition has completely been abandoned.

But I remember when I was a kid living at the country, it was a funny moment. Easter bells were supposed to fly over from Rome and drop the eggs in the most improbable corners for the children to find them on Easter Monday. Nice memories from my chilhood... :smileyhappy:

Valerie, I wish I could post something more creative in line with your thread, but I am very limited here in what I can do on the ship, nevertheless an Easter Card I made for you and all the others (took me ages to upload ...) :smileyvery-happy: *meows*

WILDCAT@CORFU.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.