MaggiJin

Something i've been thinking about

Is it generally seen as unacceptable for ones avatar to be something they're not in real life? a different race or even species i mean. i recently found this cute snake av i adore but i wonder if i'll be shunned for wearing it. I recently came across a woman yelling at someone because they where a white person using a black avatar (or are infohubs just bad places to be?), so i'm a bit nervous right now about making my avatar acceptable. I generally don't like people getting upset with me and i havn't quite gotten a feel for the "unspoken rules" of sl.

It is YOUR Secondlife, and you can live it how you choose. Some people are like that to where they have decided that we all need to look like and act like our RL counterparts. Linden Jebus blessed up with a block/mute button for a reason. ❤️

• Like 1

Be whatever you want and don't tell anyone the truth about what you are in RL.

No one knows I'm actually blonde in RL

*doh*

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MaggiJin said:

these are all pretty obvious "don't be annoying" type things (i don't even know what a mailing list is!). good to know, however i meant the more social aspects that the community generally agrees on.

No matter what u do someone will be annoyed and offended.

A good motto to live by is "To thine own self be true"

• Like 3

It depends where you go. I never go to any infohub so I can't tell how it is there but if you hang to some places where fun is more welcomed, you shouldn't be looked down for wearing a snake avie.

• Like 2

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

No matter what u do someone will be annoyed and offended.

A good motto to live by is "To thine own self be true"

thats true, but at the same time i don't want people to make assumptions about me based on what i'm wearing/what skin/hair i use ect.

1 hour ago, MaggiJin said:

Is it generally seen as unacceptable for ones avatar to be something they're not in real life? a different race or even species i mean. i recently found this cute snake av i adore but i wonder if i'll be shunned for wearing it. I recently came across a woman yelling at someone because they where a white person using a black avatar (or are infohubs just bad places to be?), so i'm a bit nervous right now about making my avatar acceptable. I generally don't like people getting upset with me and i havn't quite gotten a feel for the "unspoken rules" of sl.

Don't allow me to tell you how you should look, according to MY taste. It's none of my business to begin with.

With that said, dress and act in a way that YOU are most comfortable. Like RL. there are some here that demand that ones appearance adhere to their standards. In RL, once in a while, some in the public eye (news anchors for example) will talk of letters they get from some who dislike their dress, hair, general posture etc. Their response in general is FO! These are successful people in their occupations. Think of your avi as a book or screenplay. You will always be updating it to your taste and interests. It's an almost done thing, for you will always be finding an area to improve.

On the other hand will be some who will make actual helpful recommendations too. I'm sure you are bright and smart enough to be able to accept those.

To answer a part of your quest, I found Infohubs a place to avoid because of griefers hassling the noobs. I avoid them just out of non interest.

Have fun in your SL. Just keep in mind, you will always be improving your avi.

1 minute ago, MaggiJin said:

thats true, but at the same time i don't want people to make assumptions about me based on what i'm wearing/what skin/hair i use ect.

People say SL is a chance to look beyond the surface and get to know the person underneath, but you know, we are avatars and just like rl we are often judged by shallow first impressions.

5 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

To answer a part of your quest, I found Infohubs a place to avoid because of griefers hassling the noobs. 

Hey now,  I don't force those noobs to accept that $600 L diamond ring.

Besides its something every noob is looking for.

*grins*

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 1

Be unashamedly who you want to be.

If people want to make assumptions, let 'em. It'll say more about them than it will about you.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Be unashamedly who you want to be.

If people want to make assumptions, let 'em. It'll say more about them than it will about you.

I guess thats true. I worry too much about what other people think anyway..

1 hour ago, MaggiJin said:

I guess thats true. I worry too much about what other people think anyway..

People are always going to have an opinion no matter how you dress so might as well just dress the way you want! Im often in my Neko avi and it I have yet to experience a negative experience because the people I surround myself with are extremely open and supportive.

At the end of the day you are still you whether youre in a human or snake avi. 

Edited by OnlyMon
spelling mistake lol

16 hours ago, MaggiJin said:

You are unware of the whole furry community, are you? :D

The "controversity" you encountered as nothing to do with generally haveing an avatar that does not match your real life self. I would go as far and say that 99% of SL population are not using their avatar as a visual representation of their real life apperance. Be it age, gender, species, weight or whatever.

With the increase of a certain type of "political correctness" on the internet, some people have developed a habit of being offended by absolutly everything that does not fit their own narrow view of the world. Thats what the block function is for. Just relax, you can't stop people from being idiots, rude or otherwise unpleasant.

My main is currently dressed like a 60s hippy and my building alt is adorable as a baby dragon. She'll engulf anyone who wants to complain in a ball of fire.

Thank you Abranimations Advent xx

Do what makes YOU happy. If conforming to others' expectations make you genuinely happy, go for it. If you'd rather do something else, do that. Some people get their happiness from scolding others, so let them carry on. Those of us who displease them are providing a valuable service. :D

• Like 2

SL gives you the freedom to be whoever or whatever you want to be. Why not take advantage?!!

Sure there will always be those Real-Lifers who take offense - but they are much less fun and cool so who cares what they say? :P

20 hours ago, MaggiJin said:

Hey MaggiJin! I can absolutely assure you that I have been so many different races, species (both real and fantasy), and both genders and no one has ever said anything to me. Second Life is what you want to make of it. I think a good rule to live by is if someone is going to judge you for your second life persona, they may not be good company in the first place. I hope you have fun and find the look that makes you happy!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, MaggiJin said:

Girl, people are going to rant and rave no matter what.  It's the nature of the beast.  I've never morphed into an animal or changed my race I do portray a woman 99.9% of the time.  Have I received blowback?  Not really.   But if it ever happens I'll pay no attention whatsoever.  I do sl my way.  So don't expend energy worrying about those who throw shade.  All they deserve is  the old mute and block.     

Oh you'll be fine. I dress as a nonhuman all the time. As long as you don't enter anywhere with a strict dress code, no one's gonna give a hoot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Magnek Fang said:

Oh you'll be fine. I dress as a nonhuman all the time. As long as you don't enter anywhere with a strict dress code, no one's gonna give a hoot.

And don't show up naked on a mature sim unless the land owner specifically mentions that its allowed.

Its is one of the biggest misconceptions about the LL TOS and land maturity ratings, but non sexual nudity is allowed anywhere on a mature rated sim. A land owner on a mature sim can ban nudity, but by claiming to be enforcing  LL rules, hes just exposing his own misunderstanding of them.

Or...... hes hiding behind this misinterpretation to avoid being seen as uptight and a prude.

Either way, his land his rules. and there's lots of places that don't mind nudity.

:)

On 12/17/2017 at 5:15 PM, MaggiJin said:

Maggi, 

I am SO grateful to have come across your post, as I also have been pondering these same questions for some time.

I have been in SL for over 12 years. I have role played a lot, and I would usually keep at least 2 avies geared up at all times. I adore all colors in the human rainbow, the music, and fashion that gives dimension and brilliance to the different cultures.  That said, I would love to have a couple of different races for potential rp, and/or photos;  but I've been afraid of being offensive if I do that. 

I can't afford to keep up multiple avies now. It's really expensive. So, everyone would know my regular avie is as lily white as I am.  Oh, also.. When I do wear another color of any sort, I just speak as per 'my normal'.  Because one's skin color does not decide how one speaks, firstly, and secondly, it would, to me, be ignorant and rude to mimic my idea of how someone "should" or "might" speak. 

I would love perspectives/input. 

Happy Holidays! 

pix

Edited by Pixie Ringo
Added a line at the end.