help please, newbie can't rez item

CharlieCooper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, CharlieCooper said:

Sorry to be a pest. another newbie question. I've taken some purchases to sandbox and followed the instructions to open the box and  take t=the contents to my inventory but still  am unable to place them in my home. it's saying it cant rez because the "parcel is too full". Advice please?

if that really pops up.. read it again..  "parcel is too full"(= you used the amount impact by onjects that your land supports)  ..  take some things back in your inventory and try again.

another often seen message is "the owner doesn't allow it".. this is mostly caused by rezzing on a  mesh surface, when you put a prim box first and rezz on that it's mostly solved.

12 minutes ago, CharlieCooper said:

Is there any way of expanding the amount of items I can have in my house?

No you can't. The amount of ressources a parcel has is more or less tied to its size. The bigger your space, the more you can put there. To make the most out of the space you have, its best to not place objects that have a high prim count and/or landimpact.

Some more detailed explanation:

Every land parcel in Second Life can support a certain amount of items. Some people still call those items 'prims' (short for 'primitive') and some call it LI (short for 'land impact'). 'Prims' is the older definition, dating back to when everything in SL was made from the basic building blocks that we all have access to in the Build menu. LI came about when mesh was introduced, and it's now universally used in viewers and in all new items.

Depending on which viewer you're using, you can find out the number of items your parcel can support by clicking:

• World > About Land > Objects tab (in the official SL viewer)
  • World > Parcel Details > Objects tab (in the third party Firestorm viewer)

This is what the Firestorm viewer tells me about my land. The top arrow shows that I currently have a total availability of 17973 across several parcels that I own in the same region, that I'm using a total of 5974, and that I have 11999 free still to use. (The second arrow shows you that the individual parcel I was standing on when I took that screenshot can hold 4708 LI. If you own multiple parcels in a single region their land impact capacity is pooled.) The land impact capacity of a Linden Home is 175 LI (and the house itself does not count toward that number).

LI01.png.ac0beb353fd450599352824062cc45da.png

Likewise, every item in Second Life, from houses to furniture, hairstyles to shoes, has a certain land impact. This older, part-sculpt bookcase, for example, has an LI of 12:

LI02.thumb.jpg.e76af64818bef6680449d9d962d2c80f.jpg

That's a pretty high LI for what it is. I could undoubtedly find a much lower LI one in mesh now, but I like that one and I don't exactly need to scrimp on LI ;)

(BTW, only rezzed items count towards land impact capacity on parcels. Items that you're wearing don't count.)

Let's say you had a parcel with an LI capacity of 100 and you're using 89 of that. If you tried to rez that bookcase you would get the 'parcel too full' message, because the bookcase would take the total amount that you have rezzed on the parcel to 101, which it won't support. It's not completely full (you still have 11 LI available) but it's too full to support that specific item.

Many creators now put the LI of furniture into the item name, but with older items it's rare to find that (and older items - the ones made with prims - tend to be the ones that have higher land impacts).

If your home isn't very full of things and your parcel won't let you rez something that has even a low LI, you may have something rezzed that has a high land impact, so right-click everything and go into 'edit', then look for its LI.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CharlieCooper said:

My home is set to moderate - and I don't seem to be able to change it to  adult. how do I do that?

Info on maturity ratings:

In short: you can't change your land maturity setting, short of moving to a location whose setting is already Adult. But, as Talli said, it's perfectly fine for you to have adult items in your home on Moderate land. The guidelines against adult items on Moderate land are more to do with not promoting that activity on that land. There's much more info about it at the link I just pasted.

Be aware of the prim counts for your items, they can vary a lot. Most likely you have plenty of prime available if you are careful to use low prim items, another thing I learned early on, do not leave the packages from items you but laying around, they can be very prim heavy

1 hour ago, CharlieCooper said:

fantastic info folks thank you. So I guess I need to buy another property really.

Before you go to the expense of buying a larger parcel look as see if you can find areas you could do what i call "eprimamising" it's quite easy to find furniture items that when not in use occupy a single pim/1Li or you could source a lower LI home (if you are not in a Linden home) if your home and/or furniture is copy/mod you could always try getting rid of some unnecessary prims/Li (which may be slightly advanced for a newbie) if it goes wrong you can always rezz a fresh version and start over. if reducing your prim usage is a no go by all means find a larger parcel

2 hours ago, CharlieCooper said:

fantastic info folks thank you. So I guess I need to buy another property really.

In addition to what everyone has said about finding the LI of items and buying items with less LI, if an item is modifyable, you can SOMETIMES bring the LI down by changing a single prim in the linkset to 'Convex Hull'. You 'edit' the item and make note of the current Land Impact (see pictures below).  Then click the box for 'Edit Linked', click any portion of the item and then change the "Physics Shape Type" from 'Prim' to 'Convex Hull'. IF the Land Impact value goes lower, you can close the edit window and you've reduced you LI usage.  IF the number goes up - it sometimes does - change the piece back to 'Prim'.  You can try changing different link pieces but if it still doesn't lower anything, then you are simply stuck with the original LI of the item.  I was able to reduce my LI usage by a bit over 100 with this trick - which will work until I find replacement items with lower LI that I like.

pic1.JPG.9acff93a0e92c9684c874a23945597af.JPG       pic2.JPG.1142845b46c2487e9e75bc51d3858b12.JPG

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In addition to what everyone has said about finding the LI of items and buying items with less LI, if an item is modifyable, you can SOMETIMES bring the LI down by changing a single prim in the linkset to 'Convex Hull'. You 'edit' the item and make note of the current Land Impact (see pictures below).  Then click the box for 'Edit Linked', click any portion of the item and then change the "Physics Shape Type" from 'Prim' to 'Convex Hull'. IF the Land Impact value goes lower, you can close the edit window and you've reduced you LI usage.  IF the number goes up - it sometimes does - change the piece back to 'Prim'.  You can try changing different link pieces but if it still doesn't lower anything, then you are simply stuck with the original LI of the item.  I was able to reduce my LI usage by a bit over 100 with this trick - which will work until I find replacement items with lower LI that I like.

Find a sandbox with lots of free prims/LI to test this sort of thing. If you do it in your house & the LI goes up significantly you run the risk of having other things in your house returned to you.

Just now, Parhelion Palou said:

Find a sandbox with lots of free prims/LI to test this sort of thing. If you do it in your house & the LI goes up significantly you run the risk of having other things in your house returned to you.

True.  When I did it I still had a lot of LI to play with so I wasn't concerned about the values jumping a bit.  Though I suppose if something had managed to jump by many hundreds I would have been in trouble.

Land Impact is also region shared and not parcel dependent. Say you rent on a private estate. The sim owner can set whatever allotment to your parcel for usage but they have to be aware that this will take away from that 'Land Impact Pool' as it were, because you are in effect sharing the resource on a region wide (sim) scale, the same goes for mainland, only there are generally no sim owners aside from Linden Lab (Governor Linden) .

Parcels alone will have a hard started resource limit set on them otherwise and this is what is known as Prim Count Allotment. Don't worry too much about exact maths with Primcount/LI because in the end you would just end up calling the Lab with yet more questions than answers and a items on your errand list for Aspirin.

Edited by Hunter Stern

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.