Server or connection malfucntion?

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having some serious issues with Second Life these days. Most of the problems look like packet loss but there doesn't seem to be any. So far in the session I'm having right now there have been 12 packets lsot out of 53,321 - not nearly enough to account for all the issues:

• When I move objects, they often snap back to the original position right away (jsut like with packet loss) but then after a few seconds they move again to the new position. I've never seen that happen before.
  • Something similar happens with texture changes, they sometimes flicker back and forth before they settle, usually but not always, with the new texture. On some occasions the texture even changed back to one I had used several texture changes earlier.
  • Two days ago I opened a box and moved the content to inventory. Then I couldn't find the folder with the content at first, there was no folder in the inventory with the same name as that box. I found it eventually. It turned out the newly created folder was named "New folder". That too is a brand new issue I've never ever seen before.
  • Right now I was taking a couple of items into inventory. Half of them ended up in the Objects folder, the rest in Lost and Found. I did not return them by accident. Once I became aware of it, I kept a very close watch and carefully selected "Take" in the menu and the objects still ended up in Lost and Found.
  • I also have serious problems with getting stuck in animations, with being unable to move, with names temporarily missing from the item I'm editing, inventories and menus loading painfully slow - all the typical symptoms of a poor connection. Yet every check and test I make indicates that my connection is excellent.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar? And does anybody have any idea what the cause can be? I'm posting this in the server forum since I can't find anything wrong on my side but I'm open to any good suggestions.

Edited by ChinRey
Typos

Chin

What you are describing mirrors a problem I had over a year ago.  It, in the end, turned out to be inadvertent (they said) throttling of my connection by my ISP.  Since I pay a large premium for a fast unlimited connection I suggested that they were joking when they said what they thought the issue was, (ie I was exceeding my allocation of bandwidth).  So long as only a few packets were being sent, my ping and line speed were great.  As soon as the packet rate went above a really slow cut-off point the connection would grind to a virtual (sic) halt with all the symptoms that you describe, so that even if by chance I logged on anything else was almost impossible.

I could not even stream music reliably!

How it was fixed I have no idea, but my ISP pleaded "over utilisation"...god knows what they meant!  Only after I threatened to move to another ISP did the issue improve.  I have no suggestion other than contacting your ISP to see if it is their issue.  Good Luck!

Edited by Ayesha Askham
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It might reach more eyes if posted in the GD forum.

Yes but that would include a lot of people who would jsut grab the chance to complain for the sake of complaining. ;)

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do hope you're not using wireless connection.

Of course not!

17 hours ago, Ayesha Askham said:

What you are describing mirrors a problem I had over a year ago.  It, in the end, turned out to be inadvertent (they said) throttling of my connection by my ISP.

Yes, if nobody else has noticed anything similar, that's probably the explanation. It might be the season - everybody's busy posting messages about and pcitures of their chritmas decorations on FB :P

The bottleneck is probably somewhere in Sweden though and that may be out of my ISP's control too. All our transatlantic connections are routed through there and they have some really crappy nodes there.

It's straneg that I haven't noticed any similar problems on the OS grid though, it's only SL.

Pretty much the entire last week has been odd for me.  I have been getting stuck in annimation off & on - usually when I switch from fly to hover, then suddenly my avatar is back in fly position even though I'm not moving.  Or I'll TP somewhere and only see 1/4 - 1/2 the objects and hanging around for many minutes doesn't change the scene.  Yet, I have figured out that if I land and nothing is rezzing, I literally only need to TP home and back and within 1-2 seconds the entire scene is there.  None of this normal for my SL experience - almost every place I go will typically fully rez within a couple of seconds.

I've been writing it off as a combination of overloaded internet during the holiday season, possibly higher than normal usage of SL during the holiday season (gift buying/giving, advent calendars, higher than usual number of events & hunts), and many places having a lot more than usual amount of laggy type holiday decorations.  I've assumed that whatever is going on will go back to normal after the new year, if not before.

ETA: My assumptions might be correct.  I was on early this morning - US time - and was able to pop all over the grid without encountering any of the issues that I've been experiencing latest.  Avi never stuck in an annimation and everything everywhere rezzed pretty much instantly.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

This is the second time in 2 days I cant log in because it tells me my internet is down or theres a SL problem. I go check my net blazing fast down and up but still cant log in. Everything was working fine this morning now cant get back.

Edited by Sim Myoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.