Confusion over Youtube Videos of Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Former Linden) the Respected Journalist, Mr.Hamlet Au... has an  article regarding resident supporters having YouTube videos promoting Second Life taken down by LL..

Top YouTubers Promoting Second Life Hit With Intellectual Property Complaints Sent to YouTube by Second Life Owner Linden Lab

Update: See ..Tommy Lindens Comment Below

Edited by NevaehHeartstrings

I suspect this thread won't last very long, but while it's here allow me to plant my tongue very firmly into my cheek and present to you my own (updated!) Newbie's Guide to Signing Up For "Virtual World whose initials are the letters before T and M", now rewritten to adhere to trademark guidelines ;)

01.thumb.png.6a4d46efe3d4b84ada28d342e809447d.png

02.thumb.jpg.ee878fff20285494b6854745e519e11a.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.0085239f8b21dd32fcec48bf80c6eade.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.bfa159ec65708332758d987699ea723a.jpg

(ETA: Hmm. Maybe still a little bit too visible?)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wow this is a shame..She really does make Second life so much better for a lot of users..

Her videos are always helpful to veteran users as well as newcomers..

Just a down right shame..

It is VERY sad... but they do nothing about the tens of thousands of Trolling YouTube Videos against their customers with most monetized too :(

Edited by NevaehHeartstrings
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

It is VERY sad... but they do nothing about the tens of thousands of Trolling YouTube Videos against their customers with most monetized too :(

and their unstoppable actions against illegal stuff at mp..oh wait... they get 5% on that...

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With specific reference to this page about unauthorised use of their trademarks - http://secondlife.com/corporate/brand/trademark/unauthorized.php - I suspect that what Linden Lab are possibly cracking down on here are articles 7 and 8: trade dress and suggestion of endorsement.

Screenshots/videos of the signup process might fall under 'trade dress' (Wiki: "Trade dress is a legal term of art that generally refers to characteristics of the visual appearance of a product or its packaging (or even the design of a building) that signify the source of the product to consumers. Trade dress is a form of intellectual property.") And it's an outside possibility that the video in question may have been viewed by Linden Lab's IP department as a possible suggestion of endorsement (as in: 'an officially-supported user sign-up guide'), especially since Strawberry Singh has been featured by the Lab themselves in some of their promotional material, including (but not limited to) the banner advertising on Marketplace.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

I'm sorry to bust the party guys, but if there is even a hint of Trade Mark or IPR infringement LL's lawyers are going to insist they react like this.  Trade marks have been lost before because they were not defended.  It's not nice, but it is necessary.  (I am only a lawyer on my days off)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

Oh hey look, we posted a blog! 

Between this today and Patreon's apology yesterday regarding its fee changes, it's heartening to see companies owning up to their mistakes, apologising sincerely, and (most importantly) actively working - either internally or together with their userbase/communities - to prevent similar issues from happening again.

Thank you :)

• Like 8

There is a secondary point here, LL by both making the complaint and then withdrawing it, has made sure that should a malicious attempt at Trade Mark infringement occur, they can stand in Court and say 'we vigorously defend this Trade Mark'.

It's right that they acknowledge that Strawberry Singh wasn't infringing the TM but enhancing it's reputation, but they also tell the world that they do watch, and do defend.  And actually we all need them to defend their IPR, because our enjoyment of SL depends on it being a commercial success.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.