No "I disagree" choice?

ThorinII

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder why there is no "Disagree" choice among the given reactions to a post. Right now there's only the possibility to either "laugh" at a post :D, or to be "confused" O.o about it - which, in my opinion, isn't enough. Sometimes you just don't have the time to write a post simply stating that you disagree to the opinion or argument of somebody else, or you are so objecting that you can't write down what you think without getting admonished (at best). In such a case, a simple "disagree" button would come in handy...

So, forum lords, is it possible to introduce a "Disagree" button soon-ish? :|

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ThorinII said:

Right now there's only the possibility to either "laugh" at a post :D, or to be "confused" O.o about it - which, in my opinion, isn't enough.

You currently also have "Thanks" and "Like" and "Sad".

I figure that if I disagree enough, I'll create a post, otherwise I'll just ignore it.  I don't see any reason to specifically react with 'disagree'.

We have asked for more reactions in a few other threads.  I want:  Hug, Awesome, WTF?, and OMG.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the lack of a "dislike" or "disagree" choice all boils down to LL's goal of retaining people via endorphins. It's the same reason Facebook doesn't have negative "reactions". I don't have a Facebook account, but I think they have "sad" (like LL) and "angry" (unlike LL), but both of those are sympathetic and therefore affirming.

We're all being manipulated.

• Like 5

I've seen 'disagree' buttons employed on another forum. Within minutes of them going live they were being abused by trolls and the less savoury members of that forum, which caused a lot of upset. The buttons were removed about a week later.

I'm of the opinion (and yes, of course, you may disagree with it) that - if someone has written a post that you find disagreeable, it is only courteous to give them your reason for disagreeing. Nobody is so damned busy that they can't take three or four minutes to type out a line or two of reasoning why. Nobody expects a ten-paragraph screed of reasons why someone else disagrees with them. A simple few lines are all it takes.

Imagine having a RL discussion in a room with other people - for example, in a boardroom at work - and you come out with an opinion. Someone else says "I disagree" and then doesn't say another word. No reason as to why they disagree; just a negating of your opinion. Most people would probably regard that as pretty rude. It does nothing to further the discussion or take it in a different direction. In fact, it's another way of saying "I think you should shut up".

So here we are. It's taken me five minutes of my time to write a post giving my reasons as to why I disagree that there should be a disagree button. I could have just typed "I disagree", but I wouldn't be so rude (and someone else has already done it for a joke anyway!)

Since I rarely disagree with other people enough times that I wish to tell them so, it's rare for me to spend time typing up posts such as this one. It's easier on the blood pressure to simply ignore those posts, unless they're giving misleading information that could cause problems for others. I suppose someone who is in the habit of disagreeing with others more often would find it easier to just click a button and not have to spend a few minutes typing in addition.

However, the advent of the 'like' button has made people lazy enough. Let's not lose even more healthy discourse to yet another simple button-click.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've seen 'disagree' buttons employed on another forum. Within minutes of them going live they were being abused by trolls and the less savoury members of that forum, which caused a lot of upset. The buttons were removed about a week later.

Ugh - it would be like those stupid up/down vote buttons in Answers.

• Thanks 2

I agree with what Skell said, and I've seen 'dislike'/'disagree'/'downvote' buttons on social platforms which were abused to the point of it becoming a form of bullying. 

The 'like' button I think is handy, because if you're on a thread with a lot of pictures being uploaded daily, each participant in that thread replying to each picture to say 'that's a nice picture, I like it' would just cripple the thread. The 'thanks' button feels a bit 'meh'. If someone actually helps you, or credits you for something, a written 'thank you' would be a lot more polite - but I'm guilty of having used it on occasion, since it's there and it's convenient and well, again, it does keep the thread tidy in a way.

Then again, there's the whole psychological thing about like buttons and social convention in modern media... Receiving a lot of positive feedback, through 'likes', causes us to release endorphin. Likewise, expected high-like posts and pictures that don't receive all that anticipated attention, well they damage our self confidence and could potentially lead to self-loathing and depression in the long term. It's basically an electronic drug driven by our own ego. I'm pretty sure disagree/dislike/downvotes would have the same impact. So no, it's not just an issue of trolls downvoting good answers to important questions, being a bit of a nuisance, it's potentially harmful to people who do not perceive any distance between themselves and their ethereal presence - of which there are plenty in the SL community. Thus, I disagree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.