How did SL gain its "bad" reputation?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We ought to start a convention where op means the original post, and OP means the original poster. The poster being capitalised because it refers to a name, and names are capitalised.

When I was in search engine optimisation some of us used to do it so that, SEO meaning search engine optimiser - one who does the optimising - and seo meant search engine optimisation - the doing of it.

I think I'll use op and OP in that way in the future. Maybe it will catch on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

We ought to start a convention where op means the original post, and OP means the original poster. The poster being capitalised because it refers to a name, and names are capitalised.

No. If you cannot make your meaning clear, and the OP takes it personally when you really are talking about the post and not the OP, then either your communication skills are sub-par, or they are a snowflake. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I disagree. Yes, it's quite easy to make the meaning clear, by using the full words, for instance, but in common cases such as, "The OP said ...", does it mean the post or the person? I know that I've often written stuff like that, wondering if people would think it's one thing or the other. In some case, it's both, so it wouldn't matter.

I'll adopt lower case for the post and upper case for the person. It's so much easier than writing in alternative ways just to  make it clear. In fact, it's by far the easiest way.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

I can see it now. "When I first read the op, I thought the OP meant thus-and-so, but then I realize what the op really said was this-and-that. So while I first was in disagreement with the OP about the op, now I am firmly on-board and agree.  Thank you OP, your op was well-written and well thought out."

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ForrestChild said:

06-serious.jpg

... It's just a jump to the left...

... and then a step to the right...

... Put your hands on the thread...

... and twist the Memes in tight!...

...But it's the derail thrusts...

... that really drive you insane...

...LETS DO THE THREAD-WARP AGAIN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

the media coverage didn't focus on the sex part but more on other stuff like the Linden economy

Well for one they made too deals in the past to help enrich a tiny group of land barons regarding private islands (We are talking about a handful making millions of real dollars every year off of it)

Right now I've seen something that has me putting everything in updated perspectives.. I've seen this kind of stuff happen more and more in the last few years.. really my feeling it is a line crossed in ethics I cannot tolerate ..they are supporting my competitors..promoting the brands they sell.. Helping them take my customers money by putting it into my competitors purse instead..Starving me of sales to benefit those they choose to like (Are they RL family members or friends? who knows!)...they are not even close to treating residents equal when you see this.. I know three things..(1) I am going to work much harder to polish my mesh skills..(2) Find more ways to use those skills outside SL ...(3) I'll keep that decision to myself!

I'll be on an extended hiatus for some time to come from this forum/activity in general in SL, I'll respond to topics I've already commented on here if need be. (Basically breath a Sigh of Relief and/or Celebration Time for those here who do not like me)

Shop & Hop Participating Merchants:

!APHORISM! / !Rebel Hope Designs / .{PSYCHO:Byts}. / .TeaBunny. / [ JUSTICE ] / [ west end ] / /*KC|Couture* / *YS&YS* / #adored / ~Tableau Vivant~ / ADRIATIC line / alaskametro<3 / alme. / amara beauty / Apple May / AZ Emporium / bella moda / Blueberry / by Crash / Cae / Canimal / Cheeky Pea / ChiC buildings - surrounds - prefabs - decor props and poses / CONSTRUCT / Contraption / Dictatorshop / Dynamic Evolutions / e l i a v a h ~ / E.V.E / Envious / etham / eXxEsS Hair / Fancy Decor / Grimes Central Design (GCD MESH) / Heart Trees Flowers Plants / hello dave / Hucci / ISON / Lapointe Bastchild / Lemon Chilliz / Lune Bleue / MadPea / Maven Homes / Maxi Gossamer / MOCO HOMES Emporium / Musa / Nani / Never Totally Dead … / New CHEZ MOI Furnitures / NOX. & Third Eye. / PATRON / Petit Chat / Potomac Signature Homes / ROC / Sweet Thing / The Forge & EZ / The Mesh Shop / Vanity Hair / www.studio-skye.com / zed designz / Zibska

839a49bc083188b64064fbbe29b2093551e87c39

Edited by NevaehHeartstrings

1 hour ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Well for one they made too deals in the past to help enrich a tiny group of land barons regarding private islands (We are talking about a handful making millions of real dollars every year off of it)

Right now I've seen something that has me putting everything in updated perspectives.. I've seen this kind of stuff happen more and more in the last few years.. really my feeling it is a line crossed in ethics I cannot tolerate ..they are supporting my competitors..promoting the brands they sell.. Helping them take my customers money by putting it into my competitors purse instead..Starving me of sales to benefit those they choose to like (Are they RL family members or friends? who knows!)...they are not even close to treating residents equal when you see this.. I know three things..(1) I am going to work much harder to polish my mesh skills..(2) Find more ways to use those skills outside SL ...(3) I'll keep that decision to myself!

I'll be on an extended hiatus for some time to come from this forum/activity in general in SL, I'll respond to topics I've already commented on here if need be. (Basically breath a Sigh of Relief and/or Celebration Time for those here who do not like me)

Umm, LL supporting certain events, and by trickle down theory, other merchants, is not an ass-kissing contest in which *you* can't win. It's also not a new practice. Anyone and everyone could have participated.

I have participated in LL supported events, numerous times, over the years. I am, by far and large, competition to absolutely no one. If someone in the past had seen me participating and said "LL is supporting my competition, taking my customers away", in relation to me..I would have accused them of being on every drug possible..and probably drunk too, that is, if I didn't die of laughter first. There are also plenty of LL supported events that I have *not* participated in. I don't get butthurt when I don't, or can't..and assume LL is simply helping others who are trying to put me under...or worse...kissing the almighty LL ass/somehow related to the almighty powers that be, and are getting some kind of special treatment. 

I mean, really, on what planet does that even remotely sound reasonable? No one is starving you of sales except yourself. LL opened the offer for folks to join in the festivities..some chose to, some didn't...not he end of the world. LL has been doing this since at least 2009, from my experience, though it's likely stretched much, much further back, from others' experiences (I simply wasn't a merchant that even bothered participating in them until 2009)

You're getting really butthurt over nothing, and I'm guessing you haven't been a merchant very long-hence why you're getting butthurt over nothing. You had equal opportunity, just didn't tyake it..,it's cool..loads of us didn't take that opportunity. We're not all worse for the wear because of it, I can assure you ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Umm, LL supporting certain events, and by trickle down theory, other merchants, is not an ass-kissing contest in which *you* can't win. It's also not a new practice. Anyone and everyone could have participated.

I have participated in LL supported events, numerous times, over the years. I am, by far and large, competition to absolutely no one. If someone in the past had seen me participating and said "LL is supporting my competition, taking my customers away", in relation to me..I would have accused them of being on every drug possible..and probably drunk too, that is, if I didn't die of laughter first. There are also plenty of LL supported events that I have *not* participated in. I don't get butthurt when I don't, or can't..and assume LL is simply helping others who are trying to put me under...or worse...kissing the almighty LL ass/somehow related to the almighty powers that be, and are getting some kind of special treatment. 

I mean, really, on what planet does that even remotely sound reasonable? No one is starving you of sales except yourself. LL opened the offer for folks to join in the festivities..some chose to, some didn't...not he end of the world. LL has been doing this since at least 2009, from my experience, though it's likely stretched much, much further back, from others' experiences (I simply wasn't a merchant that even bothered participating in them until 2009)

You're getting really butthurt over nothing, and I'm guessing you haven't been a merchant very long-hence why you're getting butthurt over nothing. You had equal opportunity, just didn't tyake it..,it's cool..loads of us didn't take that opportunity. We're not all worse for the wear because of it, I can assure you ;) 

Yes — I do not approve of Linden lab arranging behind closed doors with some favorite group of creators to have some event they’re going to promote but this is not what happened this time. The event was open to anyone who applied for approval . 

And I see our very own Chic is participating. :D 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Yes — I do not approve of Linden lab arranging behind closed doors with some favorite group of creators to have some event they’re going to promote but this is not what happened this time. The event was open to anyone who applied for approval . 

And I see our very own Chic is participating. :D 

Exactly, this wasn't some back alley deal.

Of course, I'm sure some folks will "swear" it was/is..makes them feel better I guess, dunno. 

At any rate, LL does these events now and then, always has, probably always will. We're all free to participate, or not, as we see fit. But LL isn't hurting our individual businesses in doing so...we do that plenty enough on our own ;) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.