How to use old skin with new mesh body

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About to pull my hair out. My fav skin for my male model is Redgraves "Craig". The creator provides Slink feet and hand appliers but nothing for the slink physique body. Is there a way I can use the redgrave skins and make my own applier? My thinking is no. 

which brings me to my second problem. I spent hours and hours trying to find a vendor that would have a skin for the body and my the system head. but it seems anyone who has appliers for slink body does not also give the system skin...so no head matching whatsoever!

There has to be a vendor that provides the skin for an old fashioned avatar and a slink body. I started at the slink site where they have a list of vendors that supposedly support slink. they support slink hands and feet but rarely did I find they supported the body AND provide a skin for the old avatar. In fact many on the list didnt even exist anymore.

There is a lot out there if you have a slink body and a catwa head. I dont want a catwa head. I dont want a TMP head. I just want the option to use slink body, or no slink body and support my models old fashioned system head with my favorite Redgrave Craig. Alas I dont know enough to know how to make it happen. I found some Omega appliers but when I purchased the demo and tried to use it not only was there no skin demo for my head nothing happened when I was wearing the slink body and added the omega demo. Operator error I guess. I looked for information, help cards. Nothing. Im so stumped. :-(

It should be easy to find skin packages which contain both a system skin (for your head) and an Omega applier which will work with Slink, if you have the Omega relay for Slink. I think all the main skin-makers produce them or at least still sell them. I have combined system/Omega skin packages from 7 Deadly, Wow, and Lumae.

About making your own skin appliers, you would have to have the original textures to do that, which is extremely unlikely.

14 minutes ago, angeoco said:

It should be easy to find skin packages which contain both a system skin (for your head) and an Omega applier which will work with Slink.....

that is exactly what I thought. But I went to several of those and the demos did not have a system skin to try. Or they had the system skin but no demo for slink. I wont buy unless I try.

Some did have omega and the system but I had on the demo body and could not get the omega demo to work. My goal may be impossible. I like to see if I can find skins I like before I decide on the mesh body. Because they are sooooo expensive. 

Im willing to bet the problem is with me not knowing how to make the omega work with the body. 

Im not aware of WOW or Lumae. If you have links for them handy I would love to check them out. Sometimes for me, half the problem is knowing where to look. Im more familiar with where to go for female bodies skins and the like. Not at all experienced with the male. 

Thanks for your feedback!

9 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Im willing to bet the problem is with me not knowing how to make the omega work with the body. 

Im not aware of WOW or Lumae. If you have links for them handy I would love to check them out. Sometimes for me, half the problem is knowing where to look. Im more familiar with where to go for female bodies skins and the like. Not at all experienced with the male. 

Thanks for your feedback!

To apply an Omega skin you need to have both the Omega relay for Slink (bought from the Omega shop or Marketplace) and the skin's Omega applier attached, then just click the applier. I can't test the Slink demo right now as I'm typing this on my phone, but I would be surprised if it doesn't accept Omega skins.

A Marketplace search should find both Wow Skins and Lumae, and links to their in-world shops.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenly said:

About to pull my hair out. My fav skin for my male model is Redgraves "Craig". The creator provides Slink feet and hand appliers but nothing for the slink physique body. Is there a way I can use the redgrave skins and make my own applier? My thinking is no.

Have you asked Redgrave if they can make an applier for it? Otherwise no, it is against copyright and you put your account at risk.

1 hour ago, Tenly said:

I found some Omega appliers but when I purchased the demo and tried to use it not only was there no skin demo for my head nothing happened when I was wearing the slink body and added the omega demo.

You would need to purchase and install the Omega relay into the demo slink body to see the demo omega skins.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-System-Kit-Slink/7671377

If you buy that for $99, unpack it and wear, then click the purple ball, it will unlock the Omega feature for the slink body, then all Omega appliers will work. Skin, clothing layers, and tatts.

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

If you buy that for $99, unpack it and wear, then click the purple ball, it will unlock the Omega feature for the slink body, then all Omega appliers will work. Skin, clothing layers, and tatts.

If you join the Omega Applier Systems support group first, which is $5L, all the Omega kits are all half price at their main store, if I remember correctly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tenly said:

Redgrave does have skin appliers for Slink Physique. They're very close to where the Craig skin is sold, just on the other side of the center section in that room. I have the Craig skin and use those appliers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to add a couple of things. The group for the Relay discount has changed and wearing the support group tag will not let you buy for $50. You need to buy from the group which is Omega Obsession EVEN THOUGH they try and get you (and did) to join the other group.

What the OP really needs is some OLDER skins from maybe a year ago when there weren't near as many folks with mesh heads. Now many maker as the OP stated are ONLY makeing appliers and no system skins. But a year ago or more they were making both appliers and systems skins and they came in the same pack -- back when there were still people with Maitreya bodies but no mesh heads (for gals obviously). 

So look for the "sale" section of some stores for older skins. Other than that the only choice would be to try and get a skin applier that is close to your system head skin. It WILL NOT MATCH not matter how hard you try, but you can get it close and then wear a collar or tie or manly necklace to cover up the seam (or a turtleneck of course). 

There IS a reason why people have gone to mesh heads, that is the only way you can get a clean fit with the skin applying on mesh and mesh --- :D.   I know it is harder for guys as I have guy friends still in their system bodies because they can't find what they want. 

• Like 2

Hi :) I have a really old skin made by Linden (newbietemplate Linden) the account is from 2002- 15years old. that says it is able to mod and copy and I want to use it on a Maitreya mesh body. Can I do this and is it not infringing on someones copyright? ? Is there a way to do this? If so can i be directed to a place where i can get instructions on how to do this? I would be sooooo grateful :) thank you *hugs*

also if it could be used on another mesh body would work too :) Slink or whatever. Thanks :)

Edited by VeronicaVelvet
add other mesh body options

14 minutes ago, VeronicaVelvet said:

Hi :) I have a really old skin made by Linden (newbietemplate Linden) the account is from 2002- 15years old. that says it is able to mod and copy and I want to use it on a Maitreya mesh body. Can I do this and is it not infringing on someones copyright? ? Is there a way to do this? If so can i be directed to a place where i can get instructions on how to do this? I would be sooooo grateful :) thank you *hugs*

also if it could be used on another mesh body would work too :) Slink or whatever. Thanks :)

no you can not use that, yes you infringe copyrights, there is a way to do it but will make you a criminal.

thank you for your reply :) i guess i don't understand what the ability to mod is checked for if i can not mod or re-purpose it? I thought that is what mod meant? to modify for personal use. Could you give a simple explanation what the mod permission is for then?

Well if i somehow got ahold of the creator, could the creator do this for me?

and thanks again :) and i am an artist so i would never steal another artists work. I have legal experience in mechanical liscensing that requires a written approval from the creator, for monetary exchange. and have done so in the past.

1 hour ago, VeronicaVelvet said:

I have a really old skin made by Linden (newbietemplate Linden) the account is from 2002- 15years old.

I suggest reading the comments on this blog post. (Not the post itself, which is rather misguided, although its author corrected their assumptions in an ETA.) The Newbietemplate Linden name was a genuine old Linden name, but because it was used by LL to create free, full-permission content many copybotters used it as a base to overlay their stolen skin textures onto. The fact that the skin appears to have been created by a Linden doesn't mean that the textures on the skin are original Linden textures. In fact - if the skin is good enough that you want to keep it and convert it into a Maitreya applier - that alone is about 98% proof that it's a ripped skin. Old Linden skins were terrible and certainly not worth converting into appliers!

If you show us a screenshot of you wearing that skin, I'm fairly certain someone here would probably be able to tell you which store it originally came from.

Edited by Skell Dagger

Thank you for your reply :) the skin isn't that great, and will probably look like crap applying it to a mesh body, but i was going to see what it looked like anyways and modify it or at least try.. After reading the helpful link you provided, I believe it's not a linden skin none the less. Thank you for the information. guess i will go searching. Personally I like old system AVi's and their components and skins. less the terribly designed feet . The system AVI's deform less than more modern mesh bodies in poses and such, and If you do not zoom in to a extremely close view (the squared blocky look) they surpass the modern mesh and i never zoom in that close for it serves me no purpose. I would say the purpose of my converting such a "terrible" skin as you described it, is to modify it thus making it a not "terrible" skin. :)

Also now that I pondered the subject of this copying in it's entirety, It is fully probable that the early skins of skin manufacturers could have and in all probability utilized, thus using LL original skins as a base to create their skins, which would make them in public domain, thus copy mod. but would not inform any to this fact. This seems the most probable especially in the early years, and even today to some extent, for all in RL or SL is built upon the generations before and none original but the creator which is known by none but felt by all. Change a nipple and hue and crotch and claim it as your own. This is the way of people in RL thus the way of people in SL. In all probability and mathematical insignificant calculation of logic.  Thank you for expanding my intellect on the subject. It is much appreciated and the answer with explanation was most satisfying and eye opening. A lesson in the idea of SL's creator perhaps? A community of self expression forming an environment of sharing and building to a goal of togetherness, but thus derailed by capitalistic nepotism and totalitarianistic reflection of society as it seems to be put forth in definition *smiles*

and yes totalitarianistic is a word because i say so and that is how words come to exist. *winks*

7 hours ago, VeronicaVelvet said:

It is possible to adjust the body colour in the HUD when i was using an old skin, i demoed the body and using the closest pre-set skin tone then used the 'colour picker' to fine tune the body's skin to perfectly match mine, Slink has a skin tone HUD too so you can adjust the body skin to yours but i found i couldn't get it to go pale enough but will work out well if you are more tan

Thank you for your reply :) and thanks for your knowledge also :) I think that may be a simpler solution. Changing HUD hue i did not know existed. I guess I'll start there.

Thank you all for your time and your help. It was very kind of you all. :) Now to embark on trying n tweeking lots of skins n stuff, but i sure wanted to avoid that n use the skin that i found that fits my skull and body the best. darn.

Edited by VeronicaVelvet

On 12/12/2017 at 11:51 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

Redgrave does have skin appliers for Slink Physique. They're very close to where the Craig skin is sold, just on the other side of the center section in that room. I have the Craig skin and use those appliers.

Yep, I use a Redgrave skin and that is correct, the Slink Physique applier package contains a number of different skins, for some reason they do not place any sort of clue near the actual skins they sell, but it is sold in a different spot, in the in world store, when you walk up the stairs to were the guy stuff is, you pretty much look right at this wall that stands in the middle of the room, just like Parhelion says. It was not clear to me based on the demo, which contains a different or smaller set of items. I did not buy the full pack for the longest time, thinking it would not match as my particular skin was not in the demo and I could not get any other to match.

Finally i figured what the hell and just bought it and found that the actual product included the applier for my exact skin.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 9:29 AM, VeronicaVelvet said:

I do not think it infringes on copy right to use a skin you legally have the right to modify and copy on a mesh body you legally own. Its no difference legally than using the old skin on your system body. Im planning to do this myself with skins I purchased and skins I created. Its my understanding it can be done using developer kits from the mesh body manufacturer. Or create your own Omega skin applier. I don't think its physically possible if you can not copy or modify. But do not quote me on that. I have not tried it yet.

Google how to create your own skin applier for Maitreya, or Omega etc. 

All that being said, I haven't had the time to figure it how to make my own appliers yet. Otherwise Id share that info. All I know is that it is possible, sanctioned and completely legal as long as you have the right to copy (and maybe modify) it and are not planning to resell it.  i.e for your own personal use on your own legally owned mesh body on your own personal avatar.

If you have any doubts open a support ticket and ask the lindens directly about the legality of using an ancient linden skin on a mesh body you purchased.  Also, think most of the free linden skins from back in the day were actually provided by a skin creator who put them in the public domain. But, cant recall where I saw those skins. Was eons ago. Maybe google linden skins, public domain or something like that.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:50 PM, VeronicaVelvet said:

Thank you for your reply :) the skin isn't that great, and will probably look like crap applying it to a mesh body, but i was going to see what it looked like anyways and modify it or at least try.. After reading the helpful link you provided, I believe it's not a linden skin none the less. Thank you for the information. guess i will go searching. Personally I like old system AVi's and their components and skins. less the terribly designed feet . The system AVI's deform less than more modern mesh bodies in poses and such, and If you do not zoom in to a extremely close view (the squared blocky look) they surpass the modern mesh and i never zoom in that close for it serves me no purpose. I would say the purpose of my converting such a "terrible" skin as you described it, is to modify it thus making it a not "terrible" skin. :)

Also now that I pondered the subject of this copying in it's entirety, It is fully probable that the early skins of skin manufacturers could have and in all probability utilized, thus using LL original skins as a base to create their skins, which would make them in public domain, thus copy mod. but would not inform any to this fact. This seems the most probable especially in the early years, and even today to some extent, for all in RL or SL is built upon the generations before and none original but the creator which is known by none but felt by all. Change a nipple and hue and crotch and claim it as your own. This is the way of people in RL thus the way of people in SL. In all probability and mathematical insignificant calculation of logic.  Thank you for expanding my intellect on the subject. It is much appreciated and the answer with explanation was most satisfying and eye opening. A lesson in the idea of SL's creator perhaps? A community of self expression forming an environment of sharing and building to a goal of togetherness, but thus derailed by capitalistic nepotism and totalitarianistic reflection of society as it seems to be put forth in definition *smiles*

and yes totalitarianistic is a word because i say so and that is how words come to exist. *winks*

HOW SECOND LIFE SKINS WORK:

The original "skins" for Second Life avatars had very little detail but they could have their skin tone and some other features adjusted by sliders. You can see what they looked like by creating a new skin - you'll get the old-style skin.

Almost nobody sees any of this because all modern skins use overlaid textures that completely cover these skins. The overlaid textures were originally meant to be used as tattoos but for at least ten years any skin you buy will be entirely made up of these overlaid textures which were made in their entirety by the skin maker. They use none of the graphical detail of the original skins. Some skins are made using templates and some use others' work illegally, but the one place they don't get data from is the original system skin. Saying that a modern skin has its heritage in these skins and therefore could be considered public domain is the same as saying a new book is public domain because it's written on paper and paper isn't subject to copyright.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.