How to use same skin for mesh head and mesh body

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have a logo head, which I love. and a belleza body, which I love. Instead of trying to tint the skins that come with the body to match the head Id like to use the skin that comes with the logo head. Obviously, as it has the face I like. But the same question applies to any skin I might purchase.

HOW on earth do I use these skins with both the head and the body? As far as I can tell Belleza has no way of allowing me to add a skin to the hud, and neither does the logo head. Ive been told use Omega but Ive no idea how to do that and the videos I found tell how to activate the omega for the belleza body, but that was not helpful as it didnt show me how to use it. Im guessing I have to make my own hud? Not what Id prefer to do. Since all of this has been around awhile surely someone has made an applier system that lets you drag your skins into it and then use it on various mesh bodies?

Im stumped and I dont know enough to know what to look for.

• Like 1

What MaggiJin said.

Omega solutions is a compatibility system which allows appliers to be compatible between different mesh replacements (hands, head, body, feet, etc...).

In few words, once you've enabled Omega on your Logo head and Belleza body, all you'll need is an Omega skin applier. Once this compatibility is enabled then any Omega skin applier can be applied on them.

• Like 2

OK, what the others said is right, get an Omega applier.  Omega appliers come in various kinds and you need to have them to apply both head and skin - sometime Upper Body Skin and Lower Body Skin - you may also need Feet and Hands appliers too.

But if you have skin textures legally, then making an Omega applier for them is really easy.  You get the Omega Applier kit - IIRC it's free at their store on the Creator's floor.

You take a copy of the Applier Kit's Skin applier, and rezz it on the floor of a sandbox, edit it, and in the Contents tab you will find a notecard which you open.  Now you get the UUID of the texture (right click the texture in your inventory, you'll see 'copy uuid') into the place in the notecard - it's obvious where.  Now close the edit, and 'take' the applier.  You can leave any parts of the applier that you don't need as zeros.

Now you can 'attach' the applier you made as a HUD.

It is much easier to do than to describe.  And once you have done it once you will feel empowered to make your own skins.....  well maybe.

Here is how it looks when you do it, I have blanked the UUIDs of my IPR to prevent theft:

Editing an applier.png

Edited by anna2358
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, anna2358 said:

...But if you have skin textures legally, then making an Omega applier for them is really easy.  You get the Omega Applier kit - IIRC it's free at their store on the Creator's floor...

Ill look for this and give it a try. If I understand what you are saying I could take my favorite skin, which, yes, I legally own, and I could make an omega applier? So I could do this for Slink Male body and my adam make body? Or heck any of my female mesh bodies?

Im sorry to be so lame. I know omega has been around awhile but Im behind the curve catching up with the mesh. So, totally appreciate this help. Thank you!

6 hours ago, angeoco said:

No, you must have the original textures from which your skin was produced, and no commercial skin-maker will release those.

That's why I said : 'if you have skin textures legally...'.  Unless you do you will not have access to the UUID.

Nothing in my post should be seen as encouragement to illegal or non-TOS-supported acts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tenly said:

Ill look for this and give it a try. If I understand what you are saying I could take my favorite skin, which, yes, I legally own, and I could make an omega applier?

If you're customer who purchased a skin from a creator, you do not own the skin. You only own a released version of the skin but you need to be the original creator with the original skin and the content creator's copyrights to own this skin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 4:09 PM, Tenly said:

Hi, I have a logo head, which I love. and a belleza body, which I love. Instead of trying to tint the skins that come with the body to match the head Id like to use the skin that comes with the logo head. Obviously, as it has the face I like. But the same question applies to any skin I might purchase.

HOW on earth do I use these skins with both the head and the body? As far as I can tell Belleza has no way of allowing me to add a skin to the hud, and neither does the logo head. Ive been told use Omega but Ive no idea how to do that and the videos I found tell how to activate the omega for the belleza body, but that was not helpful as it didnt show me how to use it. Im guessing I have to make my own hud? Not what Id prefer to do. Since all of this has been around awhile surely someone has made an applier system that lets you drag your skins into it and then use it on various mesh bodies?

Im stumped and I dont know enough to know what to look for.

I own the Logo Alex Mesh Head and the Maitreya Lara Body, I Use the Head that comes for the omega system -as said above-, you have to buy the Omega appliers separately at around 99L$ each, and I use ItGirls - Irina as skin in the Summer Shade, it comes with the skin for the head, and the omega appliers for the body in the different shades, so if you buy the Irina Summer, then you apply the Summer shade to the body, or the Pale, or the Tan, etc, and I'm guessing is around the same with other skin brands ^^

It confused me at first too, since I started playing when Skin meant "Whole body + head + make up options", so let me also add that some skin creators offer fitting parts for both, like when you buy a head skin, it often says "Tone 2" or "Tan" and then they have universal appliers for the body with the same coloring descriptions (Tone 1-x, Tan, Light, nude, dark, whatever), so if you find a skin for either body or head you like, also check their store to see if they have fitting skins for the other part.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, Tenly said:

Hi, I have a logo head, which I love. and a belleza body, which I love. Instead of trying to tint the skins that come with the body to match the head Id like to use the skin that comes with the logo head. 

did you check logo store if there is applier for belleza?

• 1 month later...

Lost track of this thread and trying to make sense of what people are saying.

I dont think anyone understands what I actually said. when I purchase a skin -- yes, I own that skin for my avatars personal use. I never said own it as I can sell it or transfer it but when I check object profile I am yes, listed as the owner. and I  own it as I can wear it.

Wear it should mean that I can also put it into an applier and wear it on a mesh body that I also own for my own personal use.    But it sounds like I cant do that because its not transferable, even though technically, Im not trying to transfer it anywhere.  

It seems kind of silly to say you cant use an applier to apply skin you own to a body you own. since the applier could be limited by its content. i.e if it has my non-tranferable skin in an omega applier then that particular applier would become no transfer as well. And why cant we do that?

I dont know enough to know if thats what the issue is. I think Lindens need to figure this one out.

As for the body parts. Here I now have head, body feet and hands by different creators. Every skin I purchased for belleza has not applier for hands or head. What is the point of a skin that doesnt match all other body parts?

If I understand correctly, I just need to make sure that ANY skin creator I purchase from includes appliers for my belleza body, my lelutka head and my slink hands and feet, or that the skin creator has included an omega applier and that all my body parts work with omega?

Does anyone else find this as daunting as I do? Spending way too much time trying to get simple things to work. :-(

On 12/12/2017 at 5:09 AM, anna2358 said:

OMG anna thank you for this description. I do have skins I made myself as well as full perms I purchased. Ill give this a shot. Sounds like might not solve my problem with other skins that I own for my avatars use but even this is one step in the right direction.  

12 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Lost track of this thread and trying to make sense of what people are saying.

I dont think anyone understands what I actually said. when I purchase a skin -- yes, I own that skin for my avatars personal use. I never said own it as I can sell it or transfer it but when I check object profile I am yes, listed as the owner. and I  own it as I can wear it.

Wear it should mean that I can also put it into an applier and wear it on a mesh body that I also own for my own personal use.    But it sounds like I cant do that because its not transferable, even though technically, Im not trying to transfer it anywhere.  

It seems kind of silly to say you cant use an applier to apply skin you own to a body you own. since the applier could be limited by its content. i.e if it has my non-tranferable skin in an omega applier then that particular applier would become no transfer as well. And why cant we do that?

I dont know enough to know if thats what the issue is. I think Lindens need to figure this one out.

There are two kinds of skins:
1) Skins made for system avatars
2) Skins made for mesh bodies and mesh heads (these come with an applier)

We cannot make an applier from system avatar skin, it's impossible. System avatar skin has three textures in it: head, upper body, lower body. Those together form that system avatar skin. Only the creator has those original skin textures. When we buy the system skin that is what we get. We don't get the original three textures, we get the skin package ready to wear on system avatar. We cannot extract the original textures from the skin package for our personal use. We can only use the skin on system avatar.

If we want to make ourselves an applier for mesh bodies and mesh heads we will need the skin textures:
Head texture, Upper body texture, Lower body texture.

When we buy an applier there is a script in it which applies the skin texture to the mesh body and/or head.
Here again, we don't get the original skin textures. We just get the applier which does its job.

This is how Second Life works with skins.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

There are two kinds of skins:
1) Skins made for system avatars
2) Skins made for mesh bodies and mesh heads (these come with an applier)

We cannot make an applier from system avatar skin, it's impossible. System avatar skin has three textures in it: head, upper body, lower body. Those together form that system avatar skin. Only the creator has those original skin textures. When we buy the system skin that is what we get. We don't get the original three textures, we get the skin package ready to wear on system avatar. We cannot extract the original textures from the skin package for our personal use. We can only use the skin on system avatar.

If we want to make ourselves an applier for mesh bodies and mesh heads we will need the skin textures:
Head texture, Upper body texture, Lower body texture.

When we buy an applier there is a script in it which applies the skin texture to the mesh body and/or head.
Here again, we don't get the original skin textures. We just get the applier which does its job.

This is how Second Life works with skins.

Gotcha. light just went on! Thank you! that makes sense to me since I actually know what the three skin textures you refer to are. Didn't make the connection. DOH.

SO, can still use skins which I created and my full perm skins which I purchased in omega appliers for my mesh body parts. However, the insane amount of moola I spent on "system skins: is down the drain. Going forward, never ever purchase a skin from a creator unless s/he has made them with appliers I need for each of my body parts. And preferably only creators who support multiple mesh bodies as Im prone to changing out my body parts. Otherwise what fits belleza today will be down the drain with Lara tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenly said:

If I understand correctly, I just need to make sure that ANY skin creator I purchase from includes appliers for my belleza body, my lelutka head and my slink hands and feet, or that the skin creator has included an omega applier and that all my body parts work with omega?

Yes, that's exactly it. B|

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tenly said:

On 12/12/2017 at 1:09 PM, anna2358 said:

OMG anna thank you for this description. I do have skins I made myself as well as full perms I purchased. Ill give this a shot. Sounds like might not solve my problem with other skins that I own for my avatars use but even this is one step in the right direction. 

I would just like to point out I did NOT say this.  LL's stupid forum programmer may attempt to make it look like I did, but I didn't.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I have spent thousands of Lindens and I mean thousands, trying to make the skin on my Slink HG body, hands and feet match my Catwa Catya head or visa versa and even though I have purchased Omega system kit and Omega aplliers kit I am told I need a O hud and a relay hud, just how much Lindens do I need to spend to get my avatar's skin to match on all body parts including head. I am sorry but I am so very very stupidly thick because I really do NOT understand wth I am doing wrong!!! I also do not undersand what everyone is talking about skin textures, owning them and three textures...... I seriously can't follow the post because I couldn't understand it. Now, I have not even started on powder pack and Gatch yet because after months and months of trying to get used to this mesh body and head stuff and used to using the hud that comes with them, anything outside of that like trying to change the skins and matching each body part has completely lost me. Anyone got a video link to share in how to use all the different appliers, textures, huds and everything else Omega I need to learn PLEASE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samitra64 said:

Hi, I have spent thousands of Lindens and I mean thousands, trying to make the skin on my Slink HG body, hands and feet match my Catwa Catya head or visa versa and even though I have purchased Omega system kit and Omega aplliers kit I am told I need a O hud and a relay hud, just how much Lindens do I need to spend to get my avatar's skin to match on all body parts including head. I am sorry but I am so very very stupidly thick because I really do NOT understand wth I am doing wrong!!! I also do not undersand what everyone is talking about skin textures, owning them and three textures...... I seriously can't follow the post because I couldn't understand it. Now, I have not even started on powder pack and Gatch yet because after months and months of trying to get used to this mesh body and head stuff and used to using the hud that comes with them, anything outside of that like trying to change the skins and matching each body part has completely lost me. Anyone got a video link to share in how to use all the different appliers, textures, huds and everything else Omega I need to learn PLEASE.

It's a 2 part process.

You wear the (SLink) omega HUD along with the skin HUD for your SLink body that applies skins (the body applier HUD) Then you add the (body) skin applier you get from the skin maker. Apply the body skin. Remove those HUDS.

Then add the Catwa Omega HUD and the Catwa skin HUD then add the skin makers omega head HUD. Apply the skin and then they should match. Remove the huds.

An add-on to my last post, some skin makers will make a specific HUD for specific bodies. i.e. in the box you may get a Bellaza HUD, a SLink HUD and/or a Maitreya HUD as well as an Omega HUD.  If you have a HUD in the box for your specific body, use it.** It's optimized for that body. The same goes for heads. Demo demo demo any skin Omega tries to be as close as possible but unless it's been textured for a specific head it's always possible for it to not be entirely perfect.

**ETA: If they have a specific body HUD, you may not need the Omega hud to apply the skin. The body applier scripts should be in there for that body.

Edited by Roxy Couturier
Added an ETA

23 hours ago, Samitra64 said:

Hi Samitra :)

Ignore what people are telling you about 'owning three textures'. You only need to know about that if you're actually creating your own skins using the Omega developers' kit.

To get your body and head to match you will need either -

• A Catwa head (skin) applier and a Slink body (skin) applier - both in the same skintone and from the same skin designer

or -

• An Omega head (skin) applier and Omega body (skin) applier AND
  • The Omega System Relay for Catwa AND
  • The Omega System Installer for Slink

The two Omega System relays/installers (which I'll shorten to 'Omega Catwa/Slink HUD' for the rest of this post) look like this:

omega.PNG.32b21ae6de10ada596d71bf2d8619695.PNG

Omega appliers aren't a brand in their own right. Instead, it's a cross-brand system that acts in one of two ways (detailed below) and works across most mesh body parts from most creator brands, as long as you have the corresponding Omega relay HUD for your body parts.

• Some Omega HUDs act as installers: wear them once, click them, and they install Omega compatibility into that body part. The Slink Omega HUD is an installer.
  • Some act as relays: you need to wear them each time you want to add an Omega applier to your mesh body parts. The Catwa Omega HUD is a relay. It acts a bit like a 'remote controller' - communicating with the scripts in your Catwa head. If you're wearing it, and then click an Omega skin applier HUD, the Omega relay HUD will 'tell' the head which textures it needs to apply.

Let's say that you've found a great skin that you love. The head appliers state that they're for Lelutka (a head that you don't own) and Omega, and the body appliers are available only in Maitreya (a body that you don't own) and Omega. In order to wear that skin on your Catwa head and Slink body you would need to buy the Omega versions of the head and body (skin) appliers, and ensure that you have those two Omega HUDs shown above: the Slink Omega System Installer and the Catwa Omega System Relay HUD. Then:

1. Wear your Slink body and Catwa head.
  2. Add the Slink Omega HUD and click it. That will install Omega compatibility into your Slink body. You can now detach the Slink Omega HUD (but hang onto it, as you'll need to reinstall it if there are any updates to the body, or if you make a copy of it at any time).
  3. Add your Omega body (skin) applier and click it to apply the tone that you want. When you're done, detach the body applier.
  4. Add your Omega Catwa relay HUD. Keep it on your screen while you follow step 5.
  5. Add your Omega head (skin) applier and click it to apply the tone (and any other options that it gives you, such as freckles/brows, etc)  that you want. When you're done, detach the Omega head applier and the Omega Catwa relay HUD.

You're all done :) Any further questions, come back and post again and we'll do our best to answer them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.