How do I stop my invisible avatar casting shadows?

Snodge Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have a full alpha layer hiding my avatar but there is still a shadow being cast on the floor showing a human outline. Am I able to hide the shadow somehow without using an animation to stuff my transparent carcass under ground?  I don't really want to use an animation because its not really stopping the shadow being cast when I fly or jump.

50 minutes ago, Snodge Snoodle said:

So I have a full alpha layer hiding my avatar but there is still a shadow being cast on the floor showing a human outline. Am I able to hide the shadow somehow without using an animation to stuff my transparent carcass under ground?  I don't really want to use an animation because its not really stopping the shadow being cast when I fly or jump.

Create a new alpha. Instead of dragging textures into the texture slots, click the small check boxes next to the  texture slots so that they're all selected. The check box will completely shut off rendering for those parts of the avatar and you'll cast no shadow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Create a new alpha. Instead of dragging textures into the texture slots, click the small check boxes next to the  texture slots so that they're all selected. The check box will completely shut off rendering for those parts of the avatar and you'll cast no shadow.

Thanks, but my shadow is still showing :(

Still have a shadow.JPG

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Snodge Snoodle said:

I'm using Firestorm. I have re-worn the alpha layer and the shadow is still there.  

I'm stumped.

Check your shadow settings. I know Firestorm has various settings for avatar shadows that were meant to reduce the performance hit caused by rigged mesh avatars and the one you're using may be bypassing the code that makes a full-body alpha work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snodge Snoodle said:

Thanks for the video, but The whole idea of having an invisible avatar will never work because I cant control other peoples settings.

no and thats a good thing... a totally invisible avatar would be the best tool there is for griefers and others with nasty plans.

Perhaps a bit unconvenient for you.. but a good thing.

I cant hide my name tag so greifing would not be anonymous anyway. 

I was planning on wearing a small object connected to my avatar center and just hide my avatar. If you can still see my human shaped shadow then it defeats the purpose and ruins the effect.

So I am forced to give up.

Thanks everyone

I've dropped an alpha to your profile.  This one is not showing my shadows when I wear it.

ETA - Nevermind.  As Whirly said, if I chance my "Avatar Shadows" setting from Optimized to Simplified, the shadow does indeed show.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 hours ago, Snodge Snoodle said:

I was planning on wearing a small object connected to my avatar center and just hide my avatar. If you can still see my human shaped shadow then it defeats the purpose and ruins the effect.

May be i'm wrong, but for what i experimented myself if you're wearing an object then you'll get the shadow of this object.

I guess the viewer absolutely needs something to display when shadows are activated, so during your tests if you're wearing nothing then viewer uses the default human shape to reflect a shadow.

A friend wearing my robot avatar, you can see the shadow, it's clearly not a human shape ;)

5a2d7866dcce6_Ke-CubeRobot.png.95d54997d5f255db5ea5b9d07272ec01.png

/me facepalms...

I'm stunned at how many people who should know better, actually think that ANY setting in THEIR graphics preferences will have ANY effect on what other people's viewers display.

As for the suggestion that you can control what other people see by choosing a specific viewer, and more especially, one of the WORST viewers, Frankenviewer...

Dark Gods of the Grid give me strength!

Like I said, if you want to sneak around as a shadowless spooky invisible person, ONLY GO OUT AT NIGHT. :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.