Movement like in Third Person game with mouselook?

Danni Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

aka: How to not run around like a drunk idiot and slamming into walls?

So I use firestormOS and fiddled with controls and settings but can't get it how I want to.

In the past I THINK (It's been ages!) I had it setup like a regular third person game or mmo where I can move the mouse and the character turns towards it, while moving with WASD, possible while right clicking my avatar the whole time.

Now even looking around while walking locks my character into forward movement and turning takes ages or is fiddly and I end up looking drunk and run into walls and stuff.

I have no issue to change launcher if necessary, but I think it's just that I miss some setting combinations.

Does anyone understand what I'm asking for and can help me please?

Oh yeah, to hopefully make it more clear what I mean: I want to move like with Mouseview, but still see my character and not be in FPS view.

Edited by Danni Silvershade

3 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Danni Silvershade said:

aka: How to not run around like a drunk idiot and slamming into walls?

1. Make sure you turn off "always run"

2. Preferences panel, there will be settings for default actions when single clicking and double clicking on walkable surfaces, make sure single click is set to 'no action' rather than 'walk to location'

3. Lower your draw distance and or other graphics settings, if you are lagging because your settings are too high, the combination of always run and walk to ground click will have you careening about like a drunken rhino with tunnel vision...

4. Steer using the CURSOR keys, it's what they are for, letters like wasd are for typing words in chat, or since it's MOUSELOOK, use the damn mouse and only press the up arrow cursor key when you ACTUALLY want to move FORWARD...

5 In Third person, forget mouse steering, it doesn't work, use the damn cursor keys, turn off always run, disable 'walk click' lower your graphics so you don't lagstagger through walls while failing to steer.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 1

If you want to try another way for Mouselook here are my settings I use for Glytch hunting. I always have RUN on in this case. My draw distance is LONG.

The "M" key when tapped toggles me in and out of mouselook and I use the ARROW keys to run forward (or walk) and the MOUSE to control the direction.

It works perfectly!

Here are my settings that seemed important. I learned how to do this from a simple google search with Firestorm and Mouselook but it was a few months ago.

firestormwasd.thumb.PNG.60403d507937f0bb5c97eec7debf9c7a.PNGmouselook2.thumb.PNG.0dcdceb7851ca0ffa1f3aa2cb0780061.PNG

Always run is a checkbox in Preferences. But, Ctrl-R toggles it on and off.

I use W and mouse-steer in 3rd and first person. The mouse buttons work differently in the two views. In 3rd person one left-click-drags on the avatar to steer. In first person no button click needed. Just move the mouse. If Firestorm isn't working this way you may need to clear you settings and start over. Visit the Firestorm wiki for help resetting your settings. (http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clearing_settings).

Depending on where you are clicking on your avatar can be tricky. Club lights, grass, trees, particles, and other stuff with some transparent areas can get between the mouse and your avatar without you noticing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.