Jump to content
ChoiceRider

Don't Accidentally Delete Your SkyBox.

Recommended Posts

Okay, this is a little embarrassing, but I need to find out if there's a solution to my problem, and in that process, maybe others will benefit as well.

I have a SkyHome that I work hard to embellish. That's all fine and dandy until while selecting an object to edit, I inadvertently and unknowingly select the SkyHome itself. Because I like to select objects then hit my delete key to avoid taking it so as not to duplicate it in its folder. Problem is, sometimes I've accidentally selected the SkyHome and deleted it. I've done this on more than one occasion, at which point I find myself falling to the ground form 4,067 meters off the ground.

So please tell me a way to fortify my SkyHome from these frustrating deletions.

Thanks, ChoiceRider

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have all done that at some time maybe once  *coughs* or 10 times.  I have learnt over time to make a note of coordinates when I rez a skybox or home for just these little errors which are NEVER MY FAULT :D

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also helps to be sure that you ALWAYS have a backup copy of the most current version of your project.  I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted something by mistake, or when the system has deleted it out of pure mechanical malice.

The other thing to remember is that you cannot accidentally delete an object if you have LOCKED it in place.  If you try, you will get a confirmation dialog that says something like "Hey!  Do you REALLY want to delete this thing?"  I know you can't lock an object while you ar working on it, but it's really smart to lock it when you finish. 

Of course, I have never deleted MY skybox.  :$

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

In Firestorm you can choose Restore to Last Position and it will pop back into place.

As long as you have permission to rez objects in the SW corner of the region (<0.0,0.0,0.0>).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The other thing to remember is that you cannot accidentally delete an object if you have LOCKED it in place.  If you try, you will get a confirmation dialog that says something like "Hey!  Do you REALLY want to delete this thing?" 

And yet --- And yet ----

I STILL manage to delete my LOCKED building pad maybe once a month LOL.  We get in a hurry.

And yes the "restore to previous position" is great IF you own a whole sim but for most folks it won't work well :D.

 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I think we have all done that at some time maybe once  *coughs* or 10 times.  I have learnt over time to make a note of coordinates when I rez a skybox or home for just these little errors which are NEVER MY FAULT :D

That's just too cute Cindy Evanier. Thanks for helping me feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It also helps to be sure that you ALWAYS have a backup copy of the most current version of your project.  I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted something by mistake, or when the system has deleted it out of pure mechanical malice.

The other thing to remember is that you cannot accidentally delete an object if you have LOCKED it in place.  If you try, you will get a confirmation dialog that says something like "Hey!  Do you REALLY want to delete this thing?"  I know you can't lock an object while you ar working on it, but it's really smart to lock it when you finish. 

Of course, I have never deleted MY skybox.  :$

How the heck do you LOCK it in place? That's what I want to know. I'm finished adjusting the box itself. Locking it in place wouldn't prevent me from editing its interior, would it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

In Firestorm you can choose Restore to Last Position and it will pop back into place.

Well, I use Firestorm Pamela Galli, but don't recall running across that command. If that's the case, it would have saved me some time and trouble. How does it know where to start by gathering all the parts?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As long as you have permission to rez objects in the SW corner of the region (<0.0,0.0,0.0>).

You mean you can only use that command in the south-west part of the region?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

And yet --- And yet ----

I STILL manage to delete my LOCKED building pad maybe once a month LOL.  We get in a hurry.

And yest the "restore to previous position" is great IF you own a whole sim but for most folks it won't work well :D.

 

I've gotta try this command yall talk about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

How the heck do you LOCK it in place?

Edit it, go to object tab, it's the top left checkbox.  Next to physical, phantom and temporary.

You can also use Tools menu > Select Only Movable Objects to keep from selecting locked objects at all.  Well, you can still select them but you have to right click it twice and you also get a confirmation notice.  But it helps.

 

[eta]

And don't feel too bad.  It is classic mistake.  Everyone here, and I do mean every one, knew exactly what happened from the post title alone.  If you have never deleted part of your house then you have not been building long.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

You mean you can only use that command in the south-west part of the region?

No, basically it means that it ONLY works if you own the whole sim (hence have permission to rez at that coordiante) OR it is a sandbox OR perhaps some private land that the landowner has set aside that tiny bit of land (16meters) and set to the group so that everyone in the land group can USE "return to previous position".   

So it works wonderfully in some cases :D.   But might not work in your case at all. It will not work on the land that I rent or some group land that I am a part of. It WILL work on a Linden sandbox however (most of the time)  -- not helpful for your disappearing skybox but nice if you are building and oops. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

How the heck do you LOCK it in place? That's what I want to know. I'm finished adjusting the box itself. Locking it in place wouldn't prevent me from editing its interior, would it?

While you have the object selected iun your editor, navigate to the OBJECT page and click the "Lock" box.  And yes, locking it in place will prevent you from changing it in any way. That's why I said that you can't lock it while you are working on it, but you would be smart to lock it when you are finished, as a safety measure against accidentally messing with it later.

26 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

As long as you have permission to rez objects in the SW corner of the region (<0.0,0.0,0.0>).

You mean you can only use that command in the south-west part of the region?

No.  The way that command works is by rezzing your object at the region's SW corner and then moving it to the previously used position. So, unless you have permission to rez things there, it won't work.  Likewise, if you try to use it in a different region, it won't know where to move it once it's rezzed.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

And don't feel too bad.  It is classic mistake.  Everyone here, and I do mean every one, knew exactly what happened from the post title alone.  If you have never deleted part of your house then you have not been building long.

Well, Brat Wrangler, I haven't been building long at all, but I do lay claim to this one misfortune. Thanks for the moral support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

While you have the object selected iun your editor, navigate to the OBJECT page and click the "Lock" box.  And yes, locking it in place will prevent you from changing it in any way. That's why I said that you can't lock it while you are working on it, but you would be smart to lock it when you are finished, as a safety measure against accidentally messing with it later.

No.  The way that command works is by rezzing your object at the region's SW corner and then moving it to the previously used position. So, unless you have permission to rez things there, it will fail.  Likewise, if you use the command while you are in a different region, it will not work, because it won;t know where to most it once it's rezzed.

4

This is one complex command. Thanks, Rolig Loon for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 4:27 PM, ChoiceRider said:

Okay, this is a little embarrassing, but I need to find out if there's a solution to my problem, and in that process, maybe others will benefit as well.

I have a SkyHome that I work hard to embellish. That's all fine and dandy until while selecting an object to edit, I inadvertently and unknowingly select the SkyHome itself. Because I like to select objects then hit my delete key to avoid taking it so as not to duplicate it in its folder. Problem is, sometimes I've accidentally selected the SkyHome and deleted it. I've done this on more than one occasion, at which point I find myself falling to the ground form 4,067 meters off the ground.

So please tell me a way to fortify my SkyHome from these frustrating deletions.

Thanks, ChoiceRider

Ohhh KAY, me too me too. Well in addition to locking I also always grab/edit the little messed up statue that I am done with, and move it around a little. Then hit delete.  Besides the little bugger being all high-lited it has the little directional arrows sticking from it ... 

 

I have one or two ani mesh statues open at a time that I am often doing finishing to in SL, SO yup I have deleted the Artist's loft to my Island more than a couple of times. It is always in my trash bin, so poof I just recreate it.  I have not deleted since using this special little caution deal with the editor.  Takes two seconds tops. 

WHICH brings me to my question for another part of creation {{how the F do I reduce the size weight AFTER making the thing!!! }}

SafeDelete.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×