Flagging unfair reviews - choice of reasons are too limited

Rya Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a one star review saying 'not rezzing....these objects are corrupt'. I must have sold 100s of copies of these hedges (under Reid Parkin). Only today I sold 4 copies, and this is the only customer who found they did not rez for him. I also have the same items with the same textures rezzed inworld, and today I rezzed them again and they are fine. This seems to be a personal problem/glitch for this buyer only. I want to flag the review but the options for flagging are very limited and some are just useless:

Inappropriate review

review by direct competitor. (The direct competitor would use an alt, which you can only suspect, not prove)

review by alt of seller. (Again you can only suspect this)

review contains chat log (only useful one in this category)

So, inappropriate review doesn't help my case.

Off Topic 

Reporting failed delivery

Issues already noted in item description

Resized mesh item increases land impact

All 3 are very useful but the list is too limited for the numerous issues beyond the control of the creator/seller, such as in my case - personal rezzing issues perhaps due to the buyer's computer problems.

And then the other categories are for hate speech and advertising, which also don't help me

The way the flagging system has been redesigned is making it much harder to flag unfair reviews. It needs more options, and not such specific ones. The options should be more general so that it includes various situations.

Edit to Update: After contacting the customer he got back to me saying the hedges were working fine now. He didn't remove the review until I prompted him to do so.

Edited by Rya Nitely
Update 12 hours later
  • Like 4

We have discussed this before and it fell on deaf ears. Linden Lab came up with these new options without conferring with any merchants, obviously. The first group  of options are indeed just stupid. A better all purpose one would be complaining about something that the creator has no control over. For example,  when someone claims they can’t drag something from their inventory to the ground. I have no control over that sort of thing. There’s no way to make an object that cannot be dragged to the ground. 

• Like 1

I market complex products most of which require filling out a configuration notecard for a given user setup. Each such product includes a very detailed user manual and I spent countless hours writing those manuals. Sometimes users don't bother reading the manual but immediately start complaining that the product doesn't work after been rezzed. Of course it doesn't work - it has to be configured! If such a user posts a bad review, without even attempting to contact me for help, there is not a category to flag it. It is not "off-topic", it's right on the topic but the user didn't bother to read the manual. So how to flag such review?

• Moderators

Greetings!

It is my understanding that the options were chosen based on the top reported issues regarding reviews, and in order to not end up with selections equal to the length of the category options, the list remained limited. 

The options are mostly for the employees that review the reports, to help them better understand why the review is being reported.  However, regardless of what option is chosen, each report should be getting a review and removed if found not to comply with the Terms of Service and Marketplace Listing Guidelines.

Rya Nitely - thank you for the suggestions that the current options do need some additional tweaking.  I have forwarded that to the Marketplace Team. Please feel free to use the Issue Already Noted in Description option and include a reply to the review, as a reply from the seller themselves really does help since comments cannot be added to the report when it is submitted. 

Ela Talaj - That issue would be covered under Issue Already Noted in Item Description, if the description does say that there is a configuration notecard :)

(Thank you, Whirly!)

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a one star review titled "Can't open it" that says only this: " I got the demo but when I try to unpack it it tells me it's not for sale. " What does this even mean? It's just a demo packed into a box. I assume something went wrong during the delivery and the box went wonky and the customer couldn't unpack it. She immediately left this review, like within minutes. Then according to my sales records she bought another copy of the same demo just a few minutes later. Apparently that one was fine because she went ahead and actually bought the final product as well right after! And i am stuck here with this one star review. I flagged it under Delivery Failure option, i left 2 comments explaining the situation. Nothing happened. Then i asked my friends to flag the review as well, again nothing happened. It's still there to this day. I have no habit of contacting customers begging them to remove/change reviews. I feel i shouldn't have to. The review team should review the reviews and remove the unfair ones. So will Dakota Linden please explain to me how and why this review is legit and fair that it doesn't get removed? Or can somebody explain what the review even means?

Dakota advised me to open a support ticket when legitimately flagged reviews are ignored, asking why. I have done this, with mixed results – sometimes they just  say to flag the review, which I already have, and close the ticket. 

Yours is in example of “something the creator has no control over”. Or the ever popular “ buyer does not understand how second life works.”

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

I have a one star review titled "Can't open it" that says only this: " I got the demo but when I try to unpack it it tells me it's not for sale. " What does this even mean? It's just a demo packed into a box. I assume something went wrong during the delivery and the box went wonky and the customer couldn't unpack it. She immediately left this review, like within minutes. Then according to my sales records she bought another copy of the same demo just a few minutes later. Apparently that one was fine because she went ahead and actually bought the final product as well right after! And i am stuck here with this one star review. I flagged it under Delivery Failure option, i left 2 comments explaining the situation. Nothing happened. Then i asked my friends to flag the review as well, again nothing happened. It's still there to this day. I have no habit of contacting customers begging them to remove/change reviews. I feel i shouldn't have to. The review team should review the reviews and remove the unfair ones. So will Dakota Linden please explain to me how and why this review is legit and fair that it doesn't get removed? Or can somebody explain what the review even means?

Hello Elvina!

Please try to allow 2 business days for any reported review to be looked into.  Many times those who review the reports are just backed up and the review will be removed in time.  

If the review is still there after 3 business days, then certainly, create a Support Case and ask for an additional review.  If you get the standard reply, wait 1 more day, then if the review is still there, reply to the ticket asking for an additional review and include the direct link to the review/review comments, as this will make it easier for us. 

There is no guarantee that a review will be removed when submitting a Support Case/Ticket, but the review will get looked at again.  

• Thanks 2

Thank you Dakota and Pamela!

That's exactly what i thought too, as it happened when this chaos with Marketplace has just started... I figured it was probably "all hands on deck" situation, so i gave it a few weeks... When nothing happened i asked my friends to flag it as well, hoping it will "bump it up". Still nothing happened after that. The review was from mid November. I don't remember the exact date because it just got removed, finally! :) But next time it happens again, i will do as you suggested, thanks!

• Like 1

I just got a one star review because while the land impact of a large home is 176, the prim count is 333. She claims I lied when I advertised the house as 177 prims. Land impact and prim count was the same – before mesh. Now, years after Mesh arrived, LL still does not give us a place to record LI, just number of prims, and the buyer is understandably confused about the relevant number.

I am wondering how expert a programmer one must be to change the name of the field from Prim to land impact.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

I just got a one star review because the land impact of a large home is 176. She claims I lied when I advertised the house as 177 prims.

Well, you certainly didn't tell the truth, did you?

...wags a finger at you with one hand while giving you a frosty root beer float with the other.

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

I am wondering how expert a programmer one must be to change the name of the field from Prim to land impact.

A programmer must be as expert as you.

The gotcha, of course, is that the expertise you have isn't in programming (not that you haven't got that too, but it's not relevant to the problem).

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well, you certainly didn't tell the truth, did you?

...wags a finger at you with one hand while giving you a frosty root beer float with the other.

A programmer must be as expert as you.

The gotcha, of course, is that the expertise you have isn't in programming (not that you haven't got that too, but it's not relevant to the problem).

Also "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.