Thief

ildiko Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So ,

Back in 2015. I flag a marketplace shop that had photos that were stolen from flickr photographers on them. Used as an advertisement for shapes.

I warned people not the buy from that person. Because I notice tons of shops in the marketplace with the same advertised stolen photos. And many residents have tried to warn others about shopping there.

So I believe the same person who owned those shops on MP. Was under two Alt( alternative account) and started harassing me. I don't have evidence that they are one in the same person.

I reported her to linden lab and told her to stop stealing creator's content.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the shop links on here or the comments i left. If I am let me know and I'll post photos and the comment  I left.

8 answers to this question

I did contact the person who owns the photographs. But no one is doing anything to shut down the shops. Two shops already have the same photos of the stolen photos. And the people who purchase the shapes have been dupped out of their linden already. Seems like nothing will be done until more people are victimized.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa

15 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I did contact the person who owns the photographs. But no one is doing anything to shut down the shops. Two shops already have the same photos of the stolen photos. And the people who purchase the shapes have been dupped out of their linden already. Seems like nothing will be done until more people are victimized.

What do you mean, "duped out of their linden"?

If the alleged thief is simply selling copybotted material, that is one thing.  As others have said, only the creator can file a DMCA notice with Linden Lab and deal with content theft.  However, if the alleged thief is only selling empty boxes, with no content at all, YOU can report the fraud.

In the reviews, there have been people who purchase the shapes and the shapes weren't compromised as the photos. Those people were upset and others have told them to contact the owner of the shop. They never got a response back from the shop owner. A few residents had left comments that the photos were stolen and the shapes may have been copybotted as well.  They left a link to the flickr site of the original creator of the photos. I contact her to let her know what was going on. I may not be able to report the shop because those aren't my photos. But I did contact the original creator of those photos and let her know that her stuff may have been used without her permission. 

Edited by Minx Kurosawa

On 12/3/2017 at 6:38 AM, Minx Kurosawa said:

I wish i could do more to protect photographers work and other residents from buying there.. But I guess i can't. Hopefully all things work out soon.

This is an interesting social dynamic. When we are harmed we want to save others the same pain. Unfortunately, the methods we use are often used by business competitors willing to lie and griefers (whether mentally anti-social and in need of help or pathologically defective and in need of containment). 

The result is society has built up a set of laws for living in a free society. Understanding the principles of freedom and the free market is necessary to understand how the SL system of correcting wrongs proceeds and why it is complex and slow. Justice is NOT intuitive.

Also, the allocation of very limited 'law enforcement resources' is more money oriented than we like. So, the dollar value of damages is often the deciding factor. This tends to lead to vigilantism in SL being popular with the less well educated, which has a long history of running amuck in SL and RL. 

If you are truly interested in justice versus revenge, be sure you understand how things work in a free society.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.