Great Inventory Cleanout! Join me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, anna2358 said:

The items stay in world, but they have to live in the #RLV, and you need an RLV capable viewer with RLVa switched on.  There is an in-world HUD that is given instructions from the off-world database to find the item you want added, and to add it to your outfit.  So the perms don't matter.

If you don't run an RLV relay, then RLVa isn't anything other than a nice inventory scripting extension.

I've sent you private message with links.

Sounds cool, could you send me the links too :) I use RLV for setting my current group automatically. I've got it set to automatically switch to store groups when I am at their stores, land groups when I'm at certain places so I can rez objects and my defualt tag for everywhere else.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I use RLV for setting my current group automatically. I've got it set to automatically switch to store groups when I am at their stores, land groups when I'm at certain places so I can rez objects and my defualt tag for everywhere else.

Now that is totally awesome

• Like 1

Onward:

We might as well start at the top with "animations".  This is an area where I wish I could rename the system folders, because to me "animations" "poses", "gestures", and "sounds"  all belong in the same place, and many of the scripts I keep and use belong there, too.  So I'd like to eliminate the separate folders for those...but...we'll work with what we have.

First, look for the redundant items, and clean them out.  Be careful to make sure you keep at least one copy of each item, and that's it's a good, working copy.  I'm still hurting over the day I accidentally deleted every copy of a full box of very expensive animations, made by a creator who had left SL. :(  That's another good reason to use some kind of prim storage system -put copies of the expensive stuff in safe place as a backup.

Then, eliminate the stuff you know is trash.  Old pose balls, gestures you never use, sound loops you don't use, etc.  Again, if you're not sure, move it to your "temporary" folder or box it up for another day.  

Spend 15 minutes at it, then call it quits.  The mess wasn't created in a day, so no reason to think we can clean it out in one day, either.  

Dump the trash, and enjoy the beautiful SL sunshine, knowing that you're less encumbered than you were yesterday. :)

Already did a great (huuuge) purge, and am down to 14k. Still need to reorganize though. Putting everything in the "have to sort" folder for months did not help...

What does help, and not everybody does this, is to delete all junk items you get with a purchase. For body types you do not use, landmarks, note cards, texture files. Each set of clothes you buy usually has a lot of junk while you only need the actual piece for your body and maybe a HUD.

And if you ever switch body type, most good stuff has re delivery options.

That's true, Zeta.  Many of my folders contain landmarks, group inviters, thank-you notes and other items that are really useless.  It's nice to be wanted -and thanked- but how many such notices does one really need?  I'd say: ONE per creator or one per location. 

Another way to evaluate stuff: would you buy it again today?

If you had to pay to upload a particular file again would you?  If not, it's probably trash.  If you ever really need such a thing, how likely is it you can find another just as good?

One of the best things about SL is the huge variety of choices for every thing.  Almost every gadget, every image, every piece of clothing has two or three versions available somewhere.

And...who doesn't like buying new stuff?  I know that's how I got into this mess! So if I do delete my last "Russian dancing" animation I know I can buy another one -and probably a smoother, more up-to-date version that I'll appreciate far more if I ever decide I need it badly enough. 

2 hours ago, DragonLady Merlin said:

We might as well start at the top with "animations".  This is an area where I wish I could rename the system folders, because to me "animations" "poses", "gestures", and "sounds"  all belong in the same place, and many of the scripts I keep and use belong there, too.  So I'd like to eliminate the separate folders for those...but...we'll work with what we have.

This is one of those times where creating your own folder can help -- you can use special characters to pop it to the top -- and then move everything from the system folders into your special folder.  I actually do this with many of the system folders so that I can have them ordered in my Inventory in the order I want (via the special characters at the front of the names) rather than ordered by original folder name.

If you use Firestorm viewer, you also have an option to not display any empty system folders (not sure if you get that in the SL viewer).  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is one of those times where creating your own folder can help -- you can use special characters to pop it to the top -- and then move everything from the system folders into your special folder.

If you use Firestorm viewer, you also have an option to not display any empty system folders (not sure if you get that in the SL viewer).  

(nods)

Yes; I tried that for the first time yesterday, and have to say I love it.  Using characters puts the folders in an order I choose, and that's making life much easier already. 

I appreciate all the tips and tricks from everyone.  Even after all these years, I still learn new stuff about SL and the ways the client can be customized, so if you have a method that works for you, please do post about it. 

Just going to leave this here because I am proud of her.  My alt is almost 8 years old and I kept her invent perfectly from the start and normally under 6k. Unlike my main who is only half as organised and after my recent purge is at 31K  down from 52K but that includes business stuff too

6ea0ab5c73770831266bb0837167810d.png

5 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

6ea0ab5c73770831266bb0837167810d.png

Mine is similar, but I don't use the actual Clothing system folder.  I have a main folder for Clothing, one for Shoes, one for Hair, etc..  I start all of my special folders with an exclamation point since that sorts higher than anything except space and then I use varying number of spaces after that to control the actual sorting.

pic2.jpg.67631010bd9c20d10ffcd35e8569aab7.jpg

Clothing, broken down:

pic1.jpg.6653c0eb340bbf73a959a056511a7b94.jpg

• Like 5

I've deleted over 2,000 items so far, and am feeling really good about it.  I still have a long way to go, but every little bit helps, and it does add up fast.

Just getting rid of duplicate items alone made a dent.

Now, to tackle the confusing mess of body parts. (sigh)

I have my "main" avatar -mesh human, all the old classic stuff -hair, eyes, shapes, etc that I do sometimes still use, and then all the new stuff I've acquired since buying the mesh.  Ugh!

I don't even want to think about the rat's nest of clothing, because its' the same way but there's a lot more of it.

Wish me luck....

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the Advent goodies have been gathered, I am making myself do some inventory cleanout.  I'm finding things from various creators of old, making me sad that they are no longer in SL. I'm astonished at the thousands of L$ spent on clothing now being trashed, much of it never even worn, because I'll never go back to a classic avatar -- though I have managed to salvage a few of the jackets, belts, etc... from such outfits.  I'm also shocked (and somewhat embarressed) at some of the things that have gotten buried and forgotten -- some POE6 hunt items never unpacked (we are currently on POE10), along with various other hunts from years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm also shocked (and somewhat embarressed) at some of the things that have gotten buried and forgotten -- some POE6 hunt items never unpacked (we are currently on POE10), along with various other hunts from years ago.

:D:D:D

I had to laugh at this because I'm same, as a designer I participate in various events where we send our new releases through group notices. I have folders named "Blogger stuff pose fair 2014" and so on... all waiting to be unpacked.

And concerning the purge... I was about to do mine and wanted to share few things I usually do, maybe it helps someone...

When buying  a new item I delete everything from the folder, leaving only the actual item I wear (ATM I wear Maitreya body so I delete items for other bodies), landmarks are obsolete because I can right click on most items, check the designers profile picks and teleport to their current location. For favorite designers I have subscriptions, group notices and their updates on Facebook/Flickr..

Every folder has a sub-folder named "!BOX" in which I put boxes of those items, in case I need to unpack them again at a later time (for example when switching bodies). 

Folders are named by the attachment point so for example I have !ACCESSORIES and inside are arms, body, head, neck. Also, I often add keywords to folder names, for example FP for full perm, write the color of the item and anything that will help me find it later. 

I will post a photo of my last cleanup (it was few years ago) when I created a huge folder named "MY STUFF" and sorted everything. I have another one called "NEW STUFF" with items that are not really clean, I just sorted them but I didn't delete the extra stuff and most of them I don't really know what they are until I try them on lol. 

Then I will probably delete most of the items from the old one, leaving only the boxes. 

So on the photo you can see that I am currently updating my shop, I have a special folder with everything concerning my photography work, at the top of My stuff folder are folders with things I have to check/sort and folders for the things that I work on them daily. 

2yubxci.jpg

I'd be getting rid of more of my maitreya only gacha items but last time i tried selling them on the mp someone im'd me screaming at me for copybotting since i was only selling them for 50l. sheash lady sorry i'm not charging 500l for one god damn no copy item that i don't even want! Other then that i've been rooting out all of my old prim hairs and all of my lsl layer clothing.

• Haha 1

I am generally pretty good at keeping my inventory clean, but I did get a bit lazy these last couple of months. This thread inspired me to clean things up and prepare for the new year. Here's a couple of screenshots of my personal organization tactics. 

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.