Great Inventory Cleanout! Join me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've decided it's time for a purge.  I have items from the day I joined; many in boxes and storage units, but others just cluttering up the place.  I know I'm not alone: there are plenty of avatars walking 'round with tens of thousands of items that see little -or no- real use, but don't want to tackle the mess because it's just overwhelming.

Who wants to join me in divesting themselves of a thousand pounds of clutter, while finding a trove of forgotten treasures (it will be just like a second Christmas) and starting 2018 actually able to find stuff without searching?

I propose: 15 minutes per game session to spend clearing out redundant items, boxing up those things we can't part with, and committing to a virtual bonfire those items that once held meaning but are now just obsolete.

To start:

1) Empty your trash.

2) Make a new folder.  Name it "2017 purge" or something similar -something to distinguish it from every other folder you already have.

Make new subfolders in your 2017 folder that match the system folder names:

Animations

Body Parts

Calling Cards

Clothing

...etc.

3) Make another folder called "Temporary" or "Questionable" or something unique to remind yourself this stuff requires further attention. 

4) Move every item -all of them- from your system folders to the corresponding subfolder in the 2017 folder.  When you're done, your system folders will be empty.  Devoid of life.  Freshly cleaned.  Ready for the next phase: figuring out what you actually use and want to keep.

Thus ends your 15 minutes on the first day.  But, starting right away:

Every time you use an item, move it from the 2017 folder to either your system folder (if you know you use the item often), or the Temporary folder, if it's iffy.

"Iffy" items are freebies, demos, clothing you use now but plan to replace soon, etc. My inventory is blowing up right now with Christmas gifts, free offers, notecards and textures announcing sales, etc.  When they come in, move them to your "Temporary" folder if you think you want to keep them.  Otherwise, just delete right away, and empty the trash.

The point is to put stuff where you can find it, and get rid of stuff that's just taking up space and wasting virtual energy. 

Let's all start 2018 with a clean "house" and ready for company. :)

If you have another system, or handy tip that works to keep things tidy, please do share here, so we can all learn from each other. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I did a large purge when I came back to SL earlier this year - got myself down to around 25-30K (from just under 100K).  Unfortunately, I enjoy hunting, shopping, and freebies/cheapies way too much - my inventory is now back up to around 60K.  :ph34r:

I do still have a large folder of 'old stuff' that is (I think) mostly mesh clothing, but picked up back when I used a system body.  It is very, very unlikely that any of that old stuff would even look good or fit right on the new mesh body, but I still have it in a folder of things to "review". 

For most things, I don't really use the system folders, so if something is still in my Objects folder then it means I've not even given it an initial check yet - ditto for anything still in its original folder at top level of my inventory or in Received.  I do use multiple 'sorting' folders for things that I've picked up and they need to be unpacked and tried on and then placed into the proper clothing/hair/shoes/etc... folders.

I have told myself that I will start dedicating a bit of time each login to work my way through boxes and folders, though I was planning on starting that in 2018.  See, I love Advent calendars & such, yet there are so many on my list this year, that it takes quite a bit of time just to pop around gathering all of the items. Depending on the day, that doesn't leave a lot of time for other stuff and too often exploring someplace new will win out over 'inventory control'. 

I'm hoping for better self discipline in the new year, but I'm also not really believing I'll be any better.  B|

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I do this periodically, otherwise my inventory would get back over 500k again, lol. Right now, I'm a bit over 90k, because I recently did another round of boxing-well, adding to existing boxes anyway. 

But, instead of folders, I box things, and then folder the boxes. It makes it MUCH easier when creating than having individual folders within folders, I can take out a box, grab the item(s) I want, and put the box right back in. 

The vast majority of my inventory consists of stuff for creating...and breedables-good god I have too many of those. For the most part, I don't shop for clothes more than a couple of times a year, if even, so I don't have to worry about clothes, hair, skin, shoes. I don't change my skin more than once every 5 years or so(and I love the one I have, so it won't be changing). My hair, I have two that I like, the rest are all boxed up(because..well, a lot of them are from sirena, and frankly, I can't part with that hair, lol even if I never wear it again). 

Always a good idea to do a clean now and then, especially if you're like me and tend to build up an objects folder like crazy from building, lol. 

The only items I've ever boxed are textures and photos.  Since 2013, I have also given each item purchased (at the folder level) a MMM YYYY tagged at the end.  Every six months or so I will sort through inventory and look at those things that are oldest and determine if I want to save or purge.  If I haven't used or worn it in 'awhile', it is ripe for purging.  My avie will soon be 11 years in SL and I have under 40K in inventory.  Happy sorting!

I have been doing it as I go since forever. Anything that's a demo or a duplicate in multiples I type in and delete the lot save a few for safekeeping in the original delivery box. Particularly things I disasemble in world come back in hundreds. I have always deleted instantly  and don't load the SL library in my inventory. I'm at 31,000 items after 8 years of consistent use. I also box things too occasionally. The main thing is trying not to log out before culling the junk first in recent items. truth be known most old things  are too crappy to keep except for amusement value and get deleted anyway if they suck too much or are fashion tragedies.

what I find easy is this because I cant remember everything is symbols for categories that show up easily

==(folder name) > Mesh body from designer + appliers + HUDS

==(folder> Mesh heads > designer + appliers with delivery box and appliers + HUDS

** (Folder)HAIR > DESIGNER

>DESIGNER

>DESIGNER

&&&(folder) animations

Poses in modelling stand called model and pose

another called !WAR for guns etc

It lets me  find necessities really fast.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.26.35 am.png

Edited by chardonay Babii
  • Like 1

I got rid of about 15,000 items when  I deleted all my old system clothes including flexi skirts/dresses.

I figured i was never going back, so why keep them?

I got down to under 20,000 but am now just over 25,000 again. 

The only real sorting i do is for my clothes, they are all sorted by type

For example: "a mesh dress tube red" or "a mesh jeans flared faded"

I'm about to get rid of most of my applier clothes. I bought a lot of free or inexpensive ones when i first went mesh, but now i use almost entirely fit mesh

7 hours ago, DragonLady Merlin said:

I've decided it's time for a purge.  I have items from the day I joined; many in boxes and storage units, but others just cluttering up the place.  I know I'm not alone: there are plenty of avatars walking 'round with tens of thousands of items that see little -or no- real use, but don't want to tackle the mess because it's just overwhelming.

Who wants to join me in divesting themselves of a thousand pounds of clutter, while finding a trove of forgotten treasures (it will be just like a second Christmas) and starting 2018 actually able to find stuff without searching?

I propose: 15 minutes per game session to spend clearing out redundant items, boxing up those things we can't part with, and committing to a virtual bonfire those items that once held meaning but are now just obsolete.

To start:

1) Empty your trash.

2) Make a new folder.  Name it "2017 purge" or something similar -something to distinguish it from every other folder you already have.

Make new subfolders in your 2017 folder that match the system folder names:

Animations

Body Parts

Calling Cards

Clothing

...etc.

3) Make another folder called "Temporary" or "Questionable" or something unique to remind yourself this stuff requires further attention. 

4) Move every item -all of them- from your system folders to the corresponding subfolder in the 2017 folder.  When you're done, your system folders will be empty.  Devoid of life.  Freshly cleaned.  Ready for the next phase: figuring out what you actually use and want to keep.

Number 4: I did follow the steps, and now my system folder is gone. Moving all items from Body Parts - and the Body Parts folder is gone from above the trash. How can I get a new one? I must have my system folders there! Panic! 

Number 4: I did follow the steps, and now my system folder is gone. Moving all items from Body Parts - and the Body Parts folder is gone from above the trash. How can I get a new one? I must have my system folders there! Panic! 

Gosh...I've never moved the folder, only the contents, so I have no idea what to expect if it goes away altogether.  Can you just make a new one?

7 minutes ago, DragonLady Merlin said:

Gosh...I've never moved the folder, only the contents, so I have no idea what to expect if it goes away altogether.  Can you just make a new one?

I didn't move the folder, I just selected everything in it. But my pulse is almost normal again, I googled and found out that there is a setting in Firestorm that hide empty system folders. I hope that is the problem, that I set it in preferences without thinking over it. I can't log in more, it is almost 2 AM and I should have been in bed two hours ago! :$

So I think this will fix it, but tomorrow. Or rather, today but later...

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I didn't move the folder, I just selected everything in it. But my pulse is almost normal again, I googled and found out that there is a setting in Firestorm that hide empty system folders. I hope that is the problem, that I set it in preferences without thinking over it. I can't log in more, it is almost 2 AM and I should have been in bed two hours ago! :$

So I think this will fix it, but tomorrow. Or rather, today but later...

That post is from 2013 and my current Firestorm Preferences has no such options.  However, in the Inventory, pull up the Filters and there is a checkbox for "always show folders".  If checked, the empty system folders will still show.  If unchecked, they will not show unless something is in them.

• Thanks 1

Earlier this year I invested in an Off-world Wardrobe system, best thing I ever did! (commercial details in private message, if desired)

I have spent several months now moving every clothing Item into it (with a photograph of it), and categorizing each item.  And I'm now happily back buying stuff - but now it goes straight into the wardrobe.

Any thing that I couldn't wear or that I couldn't alpha properly went into the trash.

Down from 65K to 35K.  But now I can find things by typing, say "colour/red,clothes/top" into the wardrobe and all 25 red tops appear on the screen!

This was all prompted by something I read in Forum, the if your inv was over 50K you might loose stuff.

Edited by anna2358
Must learn to type....

2nd day: let's sort the demos.

Search for "demo" in your inventory.

If you are a creator, move your OWN demos to a "work" folder.  There, you can sort them into current stuff and past stuff, and decide if you want to keep any -or all- of them. If you are able to get copies easily from your vendors or the marketplace listings, you can probably safely delete them.  If not, you may want to box them up for future reference.  Or, just add the textures to a notecard and keep it.

If you're an end user, move the demos to a temporary folder somewhere, and sort them by date.  If you've had a demo for longer than six months, it probably didn't "Wow" you, so why bother keeping it?  If you have demos you still think you might want to keep, make a folder for them -and divide it into subfolders by type, or date, or whatever works for you.

Once you've deleted all the demos that are cluttering up your life, empty the trash.  Bask in the smaller number of items you're now carrying 'round every where you go.

Bonus: search again for "sample", "dollarbie", "freebie" "gift" and any other words you can think of that might lead to stuff you've attained that are only a burden now.

I guess I'm the exception. I only have about 8600 items in my inventory, although it's not the fact that I shop a lot, I just never throw anything away. 

A purge is a good idea, I might still have to do that since I have items in there since I started in 2009 that I'm sure I never wear anymore. 

Thanks for the suggestions and good luck in your own purging. 

3 hours ago, DragonLady Merlin said:

Anna, is your wardrobe system limited to full perm items?  Or can you put all of your clothing into it?

The items stay in world, but they have to live in the #RLV, and you need an RLV capable viewer with RLVa switched on.  There is an in-world HUD that is given instructions from the off-world database to find the item you want added, and to add it to your outfit.  So the perms don't matter.

If you don't run an RLV relay, then RLVa isn't anything other than a nice inventory scripting extension.

I've sent you private message with links.

Edited by anna2358

24 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

The items stay in world, but they have to live in the #RLV, and you need an RLV capable viewer with RLVa switched on.  There is an in-world HUD that is given instructions from the off-world database to find the item you want added, and to add it to your outfit.  So the perms don't matter.

If you don't run an RLV relay, then RLVa isn't anything other than a nice inventory scripting extension.

I've sent you private message with links.

Thank-you! :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.