What's your digits?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Ah! Glad I am to see this forum.

Strawberry Singh has sparked a project called "What's your digits?" where Residents are sharing some of the numbers behind their avatar shapes. After all, how we portray ourselves to others in Second Life can be an intense expression of one's self. I see it as your inner identity (or identities) manifested for others to experience, whether it helps fulfill self-discovery, makes it easier for you to enjoy being inworld, or in some cases, is a crazy joke. The reasons are as unique as we are diverse personalities, yet, this is a universal thread. None of us exists in Second Life without an avatar.

There's a Flickr group where a few hundred self-portraits and sets of digits have already been shared. Have a look, see what you think?)

(This isn't hosted by Linden Lab, it's simply of community interest.)

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Uh oh! lets hope the mods don't delete your thread Torley. They don't like it when we post non SL links on this thing
:P

You can not accuse the Mods of playing favorites.  I once had a thread in the old Jive forums that Torley complimented me in removed by the Mods.  Was I ever so shocked.

yes, that is an interesting project, indeed! \o/

i was first of all surprised to see that despite the huge differences in slider values a lot of the shapes (not counting faces) still looked very similar. and i learned not to be so afraid of the body thickness/body fat slider =p

one thing that would be fun would be to see the avis all in one picture =D

Torley Linden wrote:

<snip>

After all, how we portray ourselves to others in Second Life can be an intense expression of one's self. I see it as your inner identity (or identities) manifested for others to experience, whether it helps fulfill self-discovery, makes it easier for you to enjoy being inworld, or in some cases, is a crazy joke.

<snip>

Thanks for confirming that, Torley :) Some of us were beginning to worry if this kind of self-discovery and expression of our inner identities was still desirable behaviour in Second Life.

Ooo, will have to give this a look.

I just recently wrote the digits of my favorite shaped alt down and started comparing it with the others and my main to try and determine why I got one of them to look more as desired than all the others when the numbers between them were so close.

Once I get it all sorted out, was thinking of handing out the numbers somewhere.

• Lindens

@Darren If I have to delete myself, I will be insane. ;)

@Ishtara I reassure you that self-exploration continues to be one of the most beautiful and unique things I see in Second Life, and I LOVE knowing Residents are doing it. It goes far beyond a "game", which sets SL apart — although a fascinating thing is in someone's growth. They come inworld for casual fun, then delve deeper. Looking back, I find it mind-dizzying how eventual that path happened for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you very much for starting this discussion here last year Torley. I thought I would come by and share my update post on this which I just did earlier today. 

I'm asking for Digits once again, since I've changed my shape quite a bit because of mesh. Would love for y'all to share your digits again, if you're interested:

What's Your Digits? - Take 2: The Mesh Revolution

http://strawberrysingh.com/2012/06/30/whats-your-digits-take-2-the-mesh-revolution

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.