Sign in to follow this  
Derek Torvalar

Petition re Lindsay Shepherd

Please consider signing this petition. Links for background on the page. Could also search Lindsay Shepherd + wlu.

Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/wilfrid-laurier-university-president-support-lindsay-shepherd-ta-at-wilfrid-laurier-academic-freedom-depends-on-our-support?recruiter=837089425&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_twitter_responsive

Twitter @NewWorldHominin

Edited by Derek Torvalar

1 hour ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

hmmm

signed because debate needed. not a fan of online petitions in general but seems apt here.

Thank you.

An important issue, not just here in Canada but in the US and elsewhere.

And this is breaking news because? Universities have been pro left anti free speech for a generation. Welcome to the New World Order.

When a revolution runs out of enemies, it starts devouring its own people.

I would prefer not to turn thread into the location for that debate BJ.

If you don't ant to sign that's fine. But if you are complaining about universities are then maybe clicking the link and signing will be a step in the right direct to change that.

Up to you.

ETA I just noticed the thread in GD that Morgan started Sex and Gender in Virtual Worlds. What is at stake here is that if a WLU student in particular had brought this topic up in a class at WLU or were to try and post it to the WLU Server for discussion or even tried to have a discussion like this at the Wilfs Pub there they would be liable to sanction by the University for creating a toxic environment. 

Seem reasonable to you? In the US where First Amendment is sacrosanct.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

4 hours ago, Derek Torvalar said:

I would prefer not to turn thread into the location for that debate BJ.

If you don't ant to sign that's fine. But if you are complaining about universities are then maybe clicking the link and signing will be a step in the right direct to change that.

Up to you.

ETA I just noticed the thread in GD that Morgan started Sex and Gender in Virtual Worlds. What is at stake here is that if a WLU student in particular had brought this topic up in a class at WLU or were to try and post it to the WLU Server for discussion or even tried to have a discussion like this at the Wilfs Pub there they would be liable to sanction by the University for creating a toxic environment. 

Seem reasonable to you? In the US where First Amendment is sacrosanct.

American Universities are just as bad as Canadian Universities.

Societies in the West no longer care about truth, or freedom of  expression, its all about protecting feelings.

We are seeing the logical result of 40 years of Political Correctness.

Enjoy 

:)

• Like 1

There are many things I might have problems with the OP ;) however the issue raised is valid.

I am tired of dog whistle stuff. As I am tired of who shouts loudest in our shouty world.

OP pointed me to a case where as a former Quebec resident it was interesting and despite misgivings I added. With real name.

And BJ I have lived most if not all my life in 'the West' (and worked so many places - try looking at a globe) so as your NME - do feel free.

note to mods NME was/is very bad music rag :)

UEA had some similar back when I was a Kitten in the 80's. Surprised to see how parochial it all seems now. Or how parochial the approach now?

So thirty years plus on it made no difference ,,,plus ça change eh

probably the wrong place here anyway.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:49 PM, sirhc DeSantis said:

hmmm

signed because debate needed. not a fan of online petitions in general but seems apt here.

Thought I would update everyone who signed and for those who did not feel compelled to.

Thank you.

https://wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/dec/president-statement-re-independent-fact-finder-report.html