Sign in to follow this  
Spin Barbosa

Characters in RP - alts or outfits?

Greetings, everyone. I've been following things here for a while, but this is my first post. I enjoy RP, especially creating characters for supporting roles. Playing as these secondary characters fills out the cast, and adds depth. I see two ways of setting up multiple characters, and I'd like to kick off a discussion of them, to see if there are any advantages or disadvantages I'm overlooking.

The first way is to do everything on the one account. That's the way I do it. For mesh, I've got both Aesthetic bodies - Enzo and Smith, along with lots of classic stuff. They share the same wardrobe, so keeping them on the same account was more cost effective. I suppose if I went for a different mesh body as the second one, it wouldn't have made a difference if I used an alt, as they couldn't share outfits anyway. I've also got a variety of monsters and creatures to use. Essentially, these various characters are different outfits, just like I have a nice suit and a casual t-shirt & jeans outfit.

Since I'm trying to fill in as secondary characters, it has happened where I've had more than one role in an RP. Changing from one to the other was like a costume change during a play. If the doctor leaves and the mayor arrives, I have to step out of sight to do the transformation. It just takes a little planning. If I'm playing a monster and a victim, I can't have them interact. The victim has to wander off stage, and then horrible sounds ensue, before the monster emerges. Again, it just takes planning (or stage direction, if you prefer).

The other way, which is done by a few people I know, is to have separate accounts for their characters. With an alt, the characters are fully independent. Is it possible for them to take on greater depth They could, in theory, interact with each other. (I think that would take greater dexterity than I can manage, but I've heard of people doing it).

If I buy something nice for one, it isn't available for the other, so I would have to purchase it again if I really wanted it for both. On the other hand, it's easier to keep things separate, because to be honest, keeping my inventory organized can be a struggle. ("Dang, where did I put The Creature From The Black Lagoon avi? Oh, right. It's on IAmAMonster.Resident, and I'm looking at LeadingManMaterial.Resident. D'oh!")

So, what do other people do? Are all of your characters kept on the one account, with everything in the same inventory? Or does every character get a life of its own? Or maybe something in between? I'm just looking for some interesting discussion about one of my favorite things. Thank you.

I have a separate account for each different character I play in role-play. It's just easier that way. 

I have one avatar that I use exclusively for medieval roleplay. I have another for Victorian/steampunk roleplay in Caledon and New Babbage. I have one for vampire roleplay. Each one has their own separate inventories, with extremely little overlap between them.

Hi Vanity. Thank you for the feedback. I can see how those three genres would have very little overlap, so completely separate avatars would be standalone entities. Do the base avatars themselves have different "look and feel to them"? Have you gone mesh, and are using bodies from different vendors? Or have you standardized on one base, and the build up the genre-specific items from there?

For me, roleplaying is not just a matter of wardrobe. I prefer to be able to handle everything on my one and main account rather than log on and off between multiple alts. But I've friends who do the other way, although most of them also have to face a choice, a dilemma of availability. As soon as one alt account starts to have and build a story, we usually have less time to invest on the other accounts and vice versa.

While I don't face this problem directly. When I move to a different sim, my rp friends can see that I'm online and don't wonder what happened, why I don't log in anymore, where did I disappeared, etc... ( while most of the alt-rpers I know also tend to keep the different rps as seperate things and therefore they do not add their whole contactlist for each of their alts). Combined with a rp titler which allows me to pick a display name and to use /2 or /3 or /4 to type with this display name, I don't really have a problem that others can confuse my different characters.

If your question was aimed just at the costumes, then I probably fail to answer but from my own experience, the difference between 1 main with multiple characters or multiple alts is more a difference of roleplay preferences.

I've only ever used one account when roleplaying, but I have though about logging in as my alt and using him more as a prop than a character. Creating a billion alts for every individual character seems like a huge pain in the butt. That being said, I've never character switched in the middle of play like this, and I'm not sure I would want to. If I needed an incidental NPC, I might just use a talker instead, or rez a cardboard cut out of someone of I really needed to.

I have a couple different accounts for roleplaying, but most of the time I only use one. It's already kind of a pain, when I end up having the perfect no transfer item on one that I need for a different character. I don't usually have more than one character per roleplay sim either, and if I do I make sure they hang out in different circles and don't meet. So... Having more than one account is often annoying and rarely necessary for me. The others I will use for the occasional temporary side character or NPC to only be used for a specific scene sometimes, but not often. And it'll end up costing a lot of L if I need to buy a bunch of no transfer things twice, like mesh bodies and what not. So, meh, not a fan. Kinda wish I never started doing it.

18 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

If your question was aimed just at the costumes, then I probably fail to answer but from my own experience, the difference between 1 main with multiple characters or multiple alts is more a difference of roleplay preferences.

Hi Morgan. I wasn't thinking specifically about the costumes, but about managing the characters. I've had people confuse which character I was, so I am trying to make them all clearly different in appearance, but in some sims that's not been enough sometimes. Of course, if I'm in an RP where I'm playing the friendly country doctor who is helping the investigators, and *also* the horrendous creature from the depths of the ocean, it's easier for people to tell which one I am at the moment  (and for me, that matter - it keeps me from slipping into the doctor's speech patterns when I am in a Deep One avi.)

I've just started using a titler, and it seems to be doing what I need of it. That combined with character specific cues should work. I'm just looking for how other people handle this, to help me make my RP better. Thank you for your feedback.

18 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

( while most of the alt-rpers I know also tend to keep the different rps as seperate things and therefore they do not add their whole contactlist for each of their alts).

Wow. I hadn't even considered the different contact lists that would develop for each account. That could be a big factor, too. I seem to recall a feature in the contacts list for grouping them, but I never investigated that. Maybe that would be a useful thing to check out.

17 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I've only ever used one account when roleplaying, but I have though about logging in as my alt and using him more as a prop than a character. Creating a billion alts for every individual character seems like a huge pain in the butt. That being said, I've never character switched in the middle of play like this, and I'm not sure I would want to. If I needed an incidental NPC, I might just use a talker instead, or rez a cardboard cut out of someone of I really needed to.

Hi Harrison. When I'm a primary in a story arc, I don't do character switching. That happens when other people are the primaries, and I'm filling in support characters. I enjoy that, and it also fits with my frequently irregular schedule. If I have to drop out for a while, it doesn't disrupt things as much as if I was a major player. But I've also used props as you suggested, too. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Nyx Karas said:

And it'll end up costing a lot of L if I need to buy a bunch of no transfer things twice, like mesh bodies and what not. So, meh, not a fan. Kinda wish I never started doing it.

Hi Nyx. Yes, the cost of supporting multiple alts is a big factor for me. Unless it's a one-time throwaway appearance, I want to get good quality items for the character. Things that I can reuse. A nice suit for recurring Victorian RP is good, but do I need to spend much money on lava skin for a single appearance as a volcano god? I think not. Thanks for your response.

The cost in terms of dressing and accessoring a roleplay character should be one of the factors but I don't see it as a major issue. With patience and search, it is possible to find sales and deals, of course it's never 100% precisely what we want but combined with creativity and quality it can look good and do it all the same. Right now, my main character -a bard mermaid- doesn't look like what I had in mind, however she does look good and I still like the way she's dressed.

I believe there are pros and cons for each way. Personally I would have pain to divide my attention and availability between multiple alts while for my friends who have alts, it's the exact opposite. They can't imagine handling multiple roleplays on one same account.

On 11/30/2017 at 2:06 PM, Spin Barbosa said:

Hi Vanity. Thank you for the feedback. I can see how those three genres would have very little overlap, so completely separate avatars would be standalone entities. Do the base avatars themselves have different "look and feel to them"? Have you gone mesh, and are using bodies from different vendors? Or have you standardized on one base, and the build up the genre-specific items from there?

Each avatar has a separate look and feel. For the most part they are system avatars; I have only recently been experimenting with cheaper brands of Bento mesh heads (for example, the Akeruka group had four Bento mesh heads as dollarbie deals for their group members over the past year).  It's just too expensive for me to consider going the full mesh avatar route for every alt.

However, because I use my medieval roleplay avatar a lot, I did splurge and get her a Maitreya mesh body to go with the Akeruka mesh head.

Edited by Vanity Fair

17 hours ago, Spin Barbosa said:

Hi Nyx. Yes, the cost of supporting multiple alts is a big factor for me. Unless it's a one-time throwaway appearance, I want to get good quality items for the character. Things that I can reuse. A nice suit for recurring Victorian RP is good, but do I need to spend much money on lava skin for a single appearance as a volcano god? I think not. Thanks for your response.

Well, it depends? Can you find a lava skin that looks good enough at a low cost? And can you be sure you'll never want to use it again for a different character? I've bought stuff on one account that I wanted for something very specific, and then, maybe a couple years later, I realized that thing is exactly what I need for a new character on another account. But yeah, I mean, there can be good things about having separate accounts, but it's also annoying a lot of the time.

I don't want to be "bothered" with RP questions when I log in my main. I keep roleplay alts from each other.

For outfits, when following blogs like FabFree and Seraphimsl, I often find lots of free and promo things.

It is not so easy for males. I admit that. The female market is so big. I do have male alts, and I discovered that Gabriel has transferable Gacha clothes, where I can send the Signature Gianni size to the alt with that body, Belleza Jake to another, Slink male to the third.... This has to be done with Gacha items since ordinary clothes in the store is no transfer. Buying Gacha clothes from the MP, is also an alternative. Getting armor and stuff from The Forge, Deadwool and a few others I don't remember.

Again, it is not so many male Gachas either. But I think it is worth the money and time, to have separate alts. I need to log in and be "myself" or in "roleplay mode" and keep them apart.

To my experience, many, many roleplayers I have interacted with simply can't see the difference, even if using a titler. They get confused because they look at the name and associate it with the other character they know, not understanding I am a totally different one.. This is probably also because I am a female and change clothes and hairstyles all the time...  I just can't use the same clothes, hair and accessories all the time, so the character don't get a signature look.

Males I interact with when things get adult, is also just not going to accept seeing "their" Marianne develop a story with others. Better to not advertise that "today I really don't want to play that character, but do something else. When you were gone in RL a few days, I had an interesting story starting and will follow up that. You and I have become a bit stale too... "

PS: I hardly do any RP anymore. But keep my alts fresh and up to date as a hobby.

For someone who played 4 totally different characters at the same time (2 at the EXACT same time at most, like in interacting on 2 Browsers) I had 4 accounts. I switched out one at a later time but they had similar styles, so I just changed one account