SL Moving to the Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Drew Mysterious said:

By the way Karen - I just logged-in and got this message. So, it seems that OTHERS are also noticing that something is wrong and it's not just me after all. Good Luck Dogpiling on all of them too. **MWAW** 

PS-

https://outpost6sl.wixsite.com/outpost6/post/a-letter-to-karen

Not to pick on you but a couple points on that list would not be helpful. I rather be told if noone else has mentioned a problem because then maybe I need to look elsewhere like reboot router/machine/modem, phone isp and complain at them. Blame microsuck updates etc.

• Like 2

Seems to me there is only one person in this thread being a Karen.  Yes, we've all been experiencing issues.  It's not as if it's never happened before the uplift.  Problems crop up, they deal with them, it's ok for awhile, something else comes up.  It's been that way for as long as I've been around.  You just have to roll with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Seems to me there is only one person in this thread being a Karen.  Yes, we've all been experiencing issues.  It's not as if it's never happened before the uplift.  Problems crop up, they deal with them, it's ok for awhile, something else comes up.  It's been that way for as long as I've been around.  You just have to roll with it.

Sadly to some of us being trapped in the same sim while 3 tp's in a row fail and then having to log out and log back in again is a bad joke.

I am paying LL to use the platform so a platform that is stable and that works is something that I and a great many other users think is a prerequisite for a happy SL.

Saying that it will get better is akin to an ex boss of mine who promised jam tomorrow when the reality was that the jam is needed now and no matter how many times SL fix the issue, it comes back.

That either suggests that the issue is deep within the O/s of this platform or is fixed for expediencies sake to appease the users.

Either way it not acceptable and for once LL need to actually do something.

Edited by CattyAnnaH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CattyAnnaH said:

That either suggests that the issue is deep within the O/s of this platform or is fixed for expediencies sake to appease the users.

Given that SL has been experiencing "issues" since 2002, I think that if you need a platform that doesn't have "issues" you're probably on the wrong one.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

And sometimes, we forget we agreed to this on signing up

1.5 The Service is subject to scheduled and unscheduled service interruptions and loss of server data, which you do not own and for which you will not hold us liable.

Linden Lab may on occasion need to interrupt the Service with or without prior notice. You agree that Linden Lab will not be liable for any interruption of the Service (whether intentional or not), and you understand that except as may otherwise be specifically provided in Linden Lab's billing policies, posted on applicable areas of the Service and/or Website(s), you will not be entitled to any refunds of fees or other compensation for interruption of service.

The problem for LL is that they did choose the wrong time to start porting to the cloud, with all the issues that will come with any major change.

RL is not fun right now in most of the World and users will not enjoy having issues on some of the few entertainments they can still have.

The Cloud Migration as well as the EEP project should have been delayed at least for another Year, even if Linden lab for sure is not guilty for the mess we have to stand in RL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foneco Zuzu said:

The Cloud Migration as well as the EEP project should have been delayed at least for another Year, even if Linden lab for sure is not guilty for the mess we have to stand in RL.

What if a condition of the sale is completing the cloud migration? What if staying half self-owned servers, half cloud will break even more things meanwhile?  There could be several good reasons for the full press between now and holiday that we don’t really know. They may not even be able to wait (now that it’s started in earnest) without breaking things even worse and essential performance taking a hit. Both EEP and the uplift were in motion long before the virus struck. I’d rather they push through.

15 hours ago, CattyAnnaH said:

I am paying LL to use the platform so a platform that is stable and that works is something that I and a great many other users think is a prerequisite for a happy SL.

use of the platform is free, if you are premium you pay for ; stipend, owning mainland, 1024 sqm tier, extended support and premiumgifts.
As far i know getting a stable platform never was a perk.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tsah said:

Could someone let me know - in a few words - whether or not the Mainland is moving to the CLOUD??? I own a region there and wondering if I am wasting my time holding on to it if it's not moving??

Not only IS the Mainland moving, but some of it (maybe lots) already has.  ALL regions in SL will eventually live in the cloud.

There is a way to check for any specific region. -- in the Help / About it will give an AWS url for the region location.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling

On 5/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Interesting. A lot of scripts burn a tremendous amount of CPU between interactions with the rest of the simulation, and even more burn even more between effects on the simulation state. Theoretically, all that could be offloaded from the sim completely, although that would be a massive rewrite of the way LSL compiles to Mono.

Currently it seems the vast majority of script computation is to make breedables hungry (which is, after all, the whole purpose of breedables). If all those miserable critters could get hungry and die offline, Schrödinger's cat-like, until there's somebody to observe their starved corpses, that could improve real time performance by quite a lot.

Oh, dear. Instinctively, last night, seeing some other nearby sims had gone to the cloud, and the sim where my kitties are capering might be next, I laid in a big supply of food and Vita-Milk around them, and I put them in "basket" status. They are hunkering down for the duration...

11 hours ago, Tsah said:

Could someone let me know - in a few words - whether or not the Mainland is moving to the CLOUD??? I own a region there and wondering if I am wasting my time holding on to it if it's not moving??

As I've said elsewhere, I don't know the logic of the SEQUENCE for this, but they say 50% of them have been done. So now as I hop around the some 60 sims where I have land, I see some in the cloud, some not.

Some are humming along like a Swiss watch. Remember what Lee Linden used to say, and plan accordingly: sims work best when there are no avatars are on them. So just enjoy them from afar, sort of like cam-shopping...

Others have severe problems. They are brought to their knees at 14 FPS. Doors won't close (they collectivize script time so this happens). Things won't rez. Inventory problem messages occur.

This happens anyway, however. Without any cloud. This is SL,  quand même, как она есть...

One thing that annoys me is when people on Firestorm can return group-set prims although they have not been awarded the role in the group that enables the return of group-set prims. As past threads have shown, this bug doesn't happen consistently enough to satisfy everyone that it's a bug -- and we have the problem that Soft Linden thinks it's a feature when items in "share" do that without the role's permission -- so it's hard to replicate. It happens. I rush to the scene. I try to figure out what factors conspired to make a tenant able to do that. Sometimes there's an ordinary explanation -- autoreturn was left off. The items weren't set to the group. When he turned it on, they flew off. Or maybe they were in share, like old Linden library items idiotically put in share. But sometimes there is no explanation and no set of factors. And there have been more of these incidents "since the cloud".

Last night I and a mall owner spent an hour trying to police why temp on rez items wouldn't rez, a cake slice, if "Avsitter" was turned on at the regional level, if "Experience" was enabled at the regional level. Well, people often object when I explain (from vast experience) it has to be put on at the parcel level too, and indeed it does. But then it is put on. And still doesn't work. I fly to a sim "in the cloud". Doesn't work there. I fly to a sim "not in the cloud". It does work there. It's like the chase some of us do to look at these channels and what they are doing, you know, Blue Steele and whatsis. Certain of those channels are never problems with certain things. Others are. 

I'm not talking about sim seams. I do not care about sim seams. I look at sim seams as an opportunity to stop and smell the flowers on the bridle path and notice, to my horror, that the Moles still have those grotesque high-prim rats scampering across the path in Athetis. Sim seams are God's way of telling you to slow down, breathe in and out, count your blessings. You do not have high-prim old-school Mole rats running on your own land, for example.

I'm talking about all this other stuff. I think it might be a rocky road. I don't care really. I view "the cloud" as no magic solution and no panacea just like a thousand other things in SL for the last 15 years promised as a panacea, whether Viewer 2 or mesh. Give me back Viewer 1, any day. 

There are two areas where overall, there is a total deal breaker for me on the cloud, if this continues.

1) Groups. Groups need to be overhauled and reformed again (which is something the Lindens did back in 2005-2006 and removed a lot of bad things like their hippie collective tools that made it impossible to stay on your own group land you paid tier for if someone "voted you out" or worse, sold the land out from under you. It's not just chat in group. We are not children. We do not need to have chat in groups. (The first IT guy I ever hired back in 1996 said to me once haughtily, at the dawn of Netscape: "We are not children. We do not need to see pictures on the Internet." LOL

It's being able to search for names that I need in groups -- that is not possible with a full name. Type in one letter at a time -- again and again and again -- finally you might get it. Then you add them to a role or switch a role -- again -- again -- again -- save -- relog -- still doesn't take. This is havoc in group rentals.

2) Teleports These are totally broken. I find it odd that an item on the Grid status says Oct 2 investigating and then it seems fixed when it has been permanently broken since Oct 2. You cannot use the world map to teleport. SLURLS in chat do not work. Landmarks work better, but often crash. It's getting so I have to log out, and log in again with the name of the sim where I want to go. Needless to say, a few rounds of that and I'm almost ready to go play the Sims Online as I did 2 years ago when SL stopped working completely for me.

2 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

There are roughly six weeks left of 2020 and I wonder if the lab can move the remaining 50% of regions to the cloud without having to delay it into early 2021.

In this thread:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/464361-deploy-plan-for-the-week-of-2020-11-16

Doesn't this part imply that almost all regions will be in the cloud by end of this week?

image.png.d8b4da61f091e4ee0a4e7a7562222388.png

My Region was moved into the cloud and we barely noticed. :|

Yet there remain some pecularities. Unsure if these are related to the cloud : if assigning friends to permit editing one's objects, it simply doesn't work. Yet assigments older than a week still do work.

Apparantly region restarts are at wednesdays now too .. :|

Oh yeah and groupchat seems to be working again. Kinda.

Edited by TDD123
groupchat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.