Is Second Life -THE- epic fail in internet history?

Darius Dionne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In theory I am a big fan of SL's ambitions, being a 3d internet platform. But really, how can you fail more than Second Life has? It's beyond a joke.

How can you ever hope to attract the mainstream people if the product continues to be extremely laggy and buggy, year after year.

Even though broadband speed and computers keep getting faster and better, SL keep getting slower and more buggy. It's Moore's law in reverse! I find that truly amazing. :) 

The SL client I had 5 years ago was more stable and a lot faster than the one I currently have with my 10x better computer. 

SL was hyped in all the media a few years ago and it failed to grab that opportunity to become something mainstream.

Now from what I can see, it's failing to keep it's existing userbase with continious extreme laggy and buggy performance. SIM's that used to be very popular are now more or less empty.

So, is SL the epic fail in the internet world? Discuss!

Your experience obviously differs from mine. Four years ago it was normal for the viewer to crash 20 times a day, and the sim to crash 10 times a day. Where as now I think I've had the viewer crash on me 10 times in the last 2 years, and sims crash maybe 5 times in the last 2 years.

YMMV is as true as ever I guess.

since you encouraged to discuss, I would like to say that I disagree in every single point you made!

SL is way way waaaaay more stable as it used to be!

I can't even remember when I crashed the last time!

I remember asset server issues in the past that made nearly any interaction impossible... grid wide!

I remember when rolling restarst of new versions broked the grid for the next 2 weeks because of new desaterous bugs!

Computer and broadband can become as advanced as possible when you are on a sim with 4000 textured prims and scripts + 30 people with hundreds of textured prims all in your drawing distance then this takes time to load, especially since all designers use 1024x1024 textures nowadays! Try to load that amount of textures and applications in Firefox and you won't have a faster loading time either!

While rezzing i run at 18 FPS when all is rezzed i have stable 45 FPS! I used to have 12 FPS in the past!

SL is not ready for the mainstream yet, mainstream is not ready for SL yet!

With the new CEO who ran the Sims franchise mainstream will be introduced to SL but this won't happen overnight!

SL always had and still has a lot of potential, i know many businesses including my own that are more efficient as they used to be, i can work without much interruptions, the only REAL problem that I see on the horizon is that Marketplace will kill the communities that depend on malls eventually!

Darius Dionne wrote:

SL is far from an epic fail it's still around and attracting users for me an epic fail would be Spiral Frog, remember that wouldn't be surprised if anyone did the service was so limited as to what you could/couldn't/had to do to have free music no wonder it failed within 2 years
i find SL is more stable than when i joined 3 years ago back then i could remember grid outages my friends moaning about 'the weekend crew' and how the weekend was the worst time to make monetary transactions if the grid wasn't down there was regularly large swathes of people who couldn't log in because one thing or another was broken, those problems don't come up as often 
i think SL could be more popular if people knew about it i only knew about SL because on an off chance i was reading a magazine and there was a story about a couple that met in SL and married in RL. if SL was more like IMVU and advertised on the web and had 'gift' cards like i see for many online games & communities when i'm in the supermarket every week SL could really attract more people even encourage existing users to go premium or just buy L$

Hmm I see things improving in my opinion.

I had a friend who crashed a lot and lagged really bad until I Showed her how to do a clean install. Deleting all files and folders left behind . I also had her uninstall her drivers and reinstall them fresh because she ran ATI update and updated the drivers instead of clean install as well. (tripled her fps rates)

After she did all that . She is blessed with a happier SL.

As For me personally. After upgrading my hardware things are a lot better these days  :)

Sl Is very awesome. Still have a great deal of passion for it. :)

Thankfully my experience hasn't approached Darius’s level of frustration either and I won't repeat everything that's been said by Claireschen, Steph , Leliel & Dilbert but I agree with them wholeheartedly.

I will admit that SL behaves in all sorts of ways depending on what you’re playing with.  I have a sad old laptop that SL acts atrociously on… if that was my only experience then I’d have left years ago.

We recently had the addition of a wonderful new computer in our home that I put up a post about because it completely opened my eyes to a beautiful SL that I hadn't seen before.  That new computer nearly rid me of almost every sort of ‘Lag’ like Steph mentioned (I know it’s complicated, but apparently my computer was 98.6% of my ‘Lag’)… I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it.  I’ve gone back and forth from the old to the new a couple times just to pinch myself into believing the difference and it’s really there.  I don’t think our computer is anything really special, but it’s not the one from 2003 that I’d used until a few weeks ago.

As for ‘buggy’ I can remember back to when I couldn’t be sure if I would be able to get on for days at a time (~2008ish)… now if I get popped out once a month I’m surprised (Phoenix viewer perhaps?).  Unfortunately there are plenty of folks having unreliable experiences, including one of my best builder friends, but he was fine for a couple years until he went to a new college and his ‘wireless’ there appears to be the problem.  At his family's home he’s fine just like me, at school he’s lucky to stay on long enough for us to finish anything together.  I can’t imagine that’s SL’s fault, but I can’t deny it ruins the experience for some folks.

As for the rest of SL experience, I’m very happy with the people I know and have fun with.  The ‘community’ is as enjoyable as ever for me so fingers crossed for Darius.

people seem to forget it might be a game but most pay for that prilage and if you pay for something you should get a reasonable service, I am afriad this is not the case with the new viewer or it's flawed search engine, yes while crashed occured the past most were due to slow performance PC's now days we have faster Pc's and grahics cards, so I agree the most crashes are due to the viewer and not the PC's.

Since I first came to SL in 2007 things have become remarkably better; less lag, more stable, regular updates, enhanced features, better graphics. I no longer sink into the terrain like in 2007, the land around us doesn't bounce or shift nor do we slide down slopes unwillingly like we used to. All that said, I think SL will never be mainstream because mainstream computer users and even mainstream gamers have limited interest in a social environment intended to foster communications and interactions while allowing the residents to express themselves artistically. The one constant in SL, just like in RL, is change. People come and go all the time as they change their hobbies or become bored or get mistreated by someone which is why we find old haunts closed or empty. Actually, considering there's no off-the-shelf 3D virtual world that is plug-and-play (I can't find on the shelf at best buy), I think LL has done a reasonably good job of maintaining the grid and enhancing its capabilities over time. A lot of people will disagree with me but I think they've also done a decent job of improving the viewer.

Darius Dionne wrote:

In theory I am a big fan of SL's ambitions, being a 3d internet platform. But really, how can you fail more than Second Life has? It's beyond a joke.

How can you ever hope to attract the mainstream people if the product continues to be extremely laggy and buggy, year after year.

Even though broadband speed and computers keep getting faster and better, SL keep getting slower and more buggy. It's Moore's law in reverse! I find that truly amazing.
:)

The SL client I had 5 years ago was more stable and a lot faster than the one I currently have with my 10x better computer.

SL was hyped in all the media a few years ago and it failed to grab that opportunity to become something mainstream.

Now from what I can see, it's failing to keep it's existing userbase with continious extreme laggy and buggy performance. SIM's that used to be very popular are now more or less empty.

I have been on SL for almost 4 years and in my experience, have found it to be greatly improved over that time. If you are using Viewer 2.x, that is your problem. Drop the darn thing and get another Viewer. If you aren't using Viewer 2.x, then I have no advice to you as to how to find how stable SL really is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.