Jump to content
Gopi Passiflora

Paying L$5000 for a Catwa head...is this normal?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I get made for my body appliers from people that build for my favorite parts

I wish it was as easy - but as stated elsewhere I found out that sometimes skins designed for other heads look better than the ones designed for that specific head you have (yes I speak of skins by the same designer)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5000 for a head? You have to be crazy, Oh wait that is what I used to think before I found mine and just had to have it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a few beautiful non-Catwa heads out there. Thing is, you have to settle for less products and/or features. Most people never seem quite willing to do that, so here we are with a 5000L head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

There are quite a few beautiful non-Catwa heads out there. Thing is, you have to settle for less products and/or features. Most people never seem quite willing to do that, so here we are with a 5000L head.

shhh - some people are willing to pay also 5000 but to other companies just to not look like the masses ;)

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5,000L is a lot BUT it is something you should need to buy once and be good to go for a long time. You wear it non-stop and get a lot of use out of it. With that said I read this thread and saw the post about the Akeruka head being free to group members and I went over to their store and picked it up. I love it and now wear it as my main head. I found a skin I love for it and I am feeling like a kid at Christmas.

I would demo them all (along with skin appliers) and pick your favorite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mercedes Avon said:

5,000L is a lot BUT it is something you should need to buy once and be good to go for a long time. You wear it non-stop and get a lot of use out of it. With that said I read this thread and saw the post about the Akeruka head being free to group members and I went over to their store and picked it up. I love it and now wear it as my main head. I found a skin I love for it and I am feeling like a kid at Christmas.

I would demo them all (along with skin appliers) and pick your favorite.

The female anniverasy gift is a great head - it is usually sold for 5000L$ itself (and will be from today on). Here's a nice bonus, it's rigging is pretty similar to Lelutka Chloe/Simone. Even the tongue animations of both heads are interchangable, so when you are looking for 3rd party products (who knows, chewing gum, piercings, animations) - chances that ones rigged for Lelutka work on Maia are pretty high - just demo and hope for the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, animats said:

With such elaborate heads, has anyone ever tried connecting a webcam-based facial gesture recognition system? Your bento head could track your own expressions.

The challenge is there is no current way of feeding the recognition system info into the SL avatar in real time.

NiranV has a posing system in the Black Dragon viewer. With some significant mods to that viewer you could feed in the data and manipulate the facial expression.

The problem with the 'SL' system is that only you can see the changes, no one else. NIranV wants the system to pass along the changes so they will be visible to everyone. See the JIRA STORM-2150 and notice the section titled SERVER. If you are interested in this, click the JIRA's WATCH.

I think the server change would be a huge project and make a huge increase in the data flow between the viewer-server and redistribution to other viewers. So, I think syncing with other viewers is unlikely to happen. But, the Lindens are working toward adding the pose-animation editor without sync to the Linden viewer. So, real time webcam facial expression in the local viewer will be possible, which for photos and machinima would be kinda neat.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee how many different types of mesh bodies are there? I have heard of bento and can a Bento body be resized? Help! I, of course am just learning about mesh bodies so any links or helpful answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, carabethia said:

Gee how many different types of mesh bodies are there? I have heard of bento and can a Bento body be resized? Help! I, of course am just learning about mesh bodies so any links or helpful answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You would be better off starting a separate thread about that (after reading some of the many existing threads about mesh bodies :) ). But yes, there are lots of mesh bodies on the market, and Bento bodies can be adjusted with your body shape settings. Here's something to get you started: http://meshbodyaddicts.com

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carabethia said:

I am just wondering how many types, other than Bento are out there

First off, I get the feeling you are thinking of bento as a brand name.  Bento is (or was depending on how you view it) a feature up to Second Life that added new bones to the avatar skeleton for anyone to use.  Wings and tails are now part of every single avatar in Second Life.  Most do not use them but they are there.  Bento parts are the animated just like your arms and legs are animated for walks, dances or just standing around idle animations.  You don't have to rely on scripted parts any more.  Every body is now a bento body. 

As for how many different brands of mesh bodies ...  more than I can think of.  The link Angie gave just above have reviews, descriptions and pics of the most popular ones.

MBA.thumb.jpg.b7bdeb240f9c4ab73fa12576990580d3.jpg

[eta] -- I didn't mean to close it yet :(

Anyway ...

The most popular by far is Maitreya Lara.  Belleza makes 3 different bodies and Slink makes 2.  Belleza and Slink bodies are the next tier in popularity although depending on the day, Altamura and Tonic's Fine Beauty will come close or even over pass some of the less popular Slink and Belleza bodies.

 

 

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to this thread i started to demo a few heads. They're quite nice. I only tried 3 of the cheaper ones. I think this goes under the same topic here, as here's been discussed about different heads also.

At first all is ok, but at some point the animations get stuck and don't work anymore, or may work a bit but the older ones don't stop, so get really funny faces. Also in demos my avatars right eye lids gets stuck to be almost closed etc.  I took the demo off, changed back my outfit what it was before demos, and tried again after relogging and strange face expressions are still there. :D Before logging out had like snarl, the other half of upper lip up and after relogging, the whole upper lip was pushed outwards like duck's beak.

In two of demos there is reset button, but it don't reset the face animations.

Is this common behaviour with the demos or the heads to have this kind of bugs? Like almost they had some time set how long they will only work properly, but there's no warnings about any limited times on demos.

Maybe my viewer has something to do with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

Thanks to this thread i started to demo a few heads. They're quite nice. I only tried 3 of the cheaper ones. I think this goes under the same topic here, as here's been discussed about different heads also.

At first all is ok, but at some point the animations get stuck and don't work anymore, or may work a bit but the older ones don't stop, so get really funny faces. Also in demos my avatars right eye lids gets stuck to be almost closed etc.  I took the demo off, changed back my outfit what it was before demos, and tried again after relogging and strange face expressions are still there. :D Before logging out had like snarl, the other half of upper lip up and after relogging, the whole upper lip was pushed outwards like duck's beak.

In two of demos there is reset button, but it don't reset the face animations.

Is this common behaviour with the demos or the heads to have this kind of bugs? Like almost they had some time set how long they will only work properly, but there's no warnings about any limited times on demos.

Maybe my viewer has something to do with this.

You should join the groups for the heads and ask there, you'll get a faster response.

I've never had the animations stuck on my catwa head tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, purrrkitten said:

You should join the groups for the heads and ask there, you'll get a faster response.

I've never had the animations stuck on my catwa head tho.

Thanks, i got my groups full, but maybe i will clean some and do that.

I got today yet another demo from a different creator, looks like the stuck animations transfer to new demo head like they're attached on my avatar. image.png.7de155219a64ecee96d752528dbf010c.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

looks like the stuck animations transfer to new demo head like they're attached on my avatar

Right-click your avatar (or your name tag) and select Appearance > Reset > Skeleton. If that doesn't fix it, do the same but Reset Skeleton & Animations (which will stop any AO that you have running, so switch that off and on again, and the 'stuck' animations should have stopped).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Right-click your avatar (or your name tag) and select Appearance > Reset > Skeleton. If that doesn't fix it, do the same but Reset Skeleton & Animations (which will stop any AO that you have running, so switch that off and on again, and the 'stuck' animations should have stopped).

Thank you! That helped. :)

You saved my avatar's mesh face from eternal angry suspicious duck face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 9:47 PM, Vin Soulstar said:

I paid $900 for my Catwa Justin head and I'm quiet happy with it. 

All the animations never really interested me so I didn't see the point in forking out thousands for a bento one.

Lucky!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Eat instant noodles for a month and voila you can now afford the top head".....

Edited by Jeny Howlett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

"Eat instant noodles for a month and voila you can now afford the top head".....

My monthly food bill is a bit more then the price of a Catwa head.

"Eat instant noodles for a month lunch and voila you can now afford the top head".....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my groceries are running around on the farm or growing out back..

So my budget for heads is awesome by grocery standards..

:P

Seriously though,if there is something that I just feel I want to have,I'm just gonna get it..The only time I think about the dollar value of lindens is when I buy them in big chunks..That and every time my husband ends up showing me how much I spent this month on second life..

Once they are on my account,they are just lindens now and time to go shopping!! \o/

hehehehe

 

The heads I'm getting right now are 4000 each..But the skin packs per shade are 500 each..I usually get 3 shades per head and  three or four heads depending  on the differences in them and what I can do with them..It adds up pretty quick and I have to tell myself to stop..

But just one head that comes with skins and has lots of other nice things with it..That's not really too bad I don't think..

It's really easy to get crazy carried away in those head shops for me..

 

Every day Is Black Friday in SL

 

excited-shopper-carrying-shopping-bag-po

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the price totally fair for the amount of work it takes to create bento heads. Though I personally went with a LAQ head and Glam Affair skin because I like the fact that I only needed to buy the univeral hud once and their heads are only L$1500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh I was thinking something else when I saw the therm "buying heads". BTW I won't pay five big one, for no head ... wellllll, no I won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...