Paying L$5000 for a Catwa head...is this normal?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently paid L$5000 for a Catwa head for one of my female human avatars. I'm thinking about shelling another L$5000 for another head for another of my female human avis. While I'm fine with the results for my first avi, I'm just wondering if this is normal to pay such an amount just for this. I'm also asking if there are any cheaper (and/or better) alternatives....

12 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I recently paid L$5000 for a Catwa head

The price of a Catwa head is... L$ 5000, so yes paying L$ 5000 for a Catwa head is "normal" for a given value of "normal".

Are there other heads? Yes. Do they come at different prices? Yes. Whish one is best? That depends on what you are looking for.

DEMO DEMO DEMO...

• Like 2

Yes, L$5,000 is normal for a Catwa head. I have bought at least four of them for various alts (male and female) and they are worth every penny in my opinion. I do hear that Lelutka is also very good too. The add-ons for Catwa heads (mesh eyes, animations, etc.) can get pretty pricey.

But there are cheaper alternatives out there. Shop around and follow Strawberry Singh's blog and the Mesh Body Addicts blog for reviews. Demo, demo, demo!

For example, you can join the Akeruka group for L$150 and then wait for them to announce L$1 gift Bento mesh heads, which they do every so often as a group member gift. I joined the Akeruka group earlier in the year (for L$150) and I got four different Bento mesh heads for only L$1 each over the past year (two male heads, two female heads).

That works out to L$39 per fully-featured, fully-adjustable Bento mesh head. You can't beat that price!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

High price does not necessarily mean high quality. I think the Utilizator head is one of the best looking available and it's only L$500. It's also one of the few bento heads that is modifiable, which means you can do far more to personalize your appearance, if you know how to mod.

Having lurked here for a few decades, I am finally moved to say YaY!

Thanks to this advice I have finally got a Bento Mesh head.  And it's no No-Mod either!  Thanks Penny.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2017 at 10:41 PM, Penny Patton said:

High price does not necessarily mean high quality. I think the Utilizator head is one of the best looking available and it's only L$500. It's also one of the few bento heads that is modifiable, which means you can do far more to personalize your appearance, if you know how to mod.

Wow, the Utilizator Normie head looks really nice, and it's one-tenth the price of the Catwa Bento heads! Just goes to show that it pays to shop around. Thanks Penny!

• Like 5

On 30.11.2017 at 5:41 AM, Penny Patton said:

I think the Utilizator head is one of the best looking available and it's only L$500. It's also one of the few bento heads that is modifiable, which means you can do far more to personalize your appearance, if you know how to mod.

But does it have proper duck bill? That's what really matters.  It's not a good mesh head unless your lips are at least one inch in front of your face.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

Genesis tends to have a lot of Gacha heads so if you want to take a chance you might get lucky and not have to spend too much.

While Lelutka is my first choice, and Catwa a close second I do like Genesis quite a bit also as they tend to be somewhat more unusual in appearance and you don't wind up looking like everyone else if you can't afford enough appliers to stand out from the crowd.  

I also like Murray's head but not many bells and whistles.  The new Vista Lia looks quite nice - I bought it for an alt but haven't had the time to play with it yet. That one was $2500. Not too bad.

Catwa was one of the first that released a Bento rigged head and priced it at 5K. For me, Omega compatibility for skins is a deal breaker. You have price points in Omega-compatible heads from 999l with the Jenna to 5K for Catwa with prices in between. Mayreal is 1999L and has some nice options. AK has a variety of faces. Others include LOGO, Lelutka, LAQ, and the new Vista. Unfortunately, at this time, Genesis is only Omega-compatible for the makeup layers. 

If you don't need animations and don't care if the head doesn't react to animations, you can get the less expensive static heads. 

Bento-rigged heads are connected to the bones SL added in the head so you can vary the appearance, just like you can for the default head. It will also react to MOCAP or regular animations in an AO, just like the rest of your body already does. The default SL body isn't actually rigged to the new bones so you don't get the hand movements or facial expressions like you will with a Bento head.

Demo, Demo, Demo. Grab the demos. You're going to have to play with your shape since the rigging of the heads makes the shape look different, especially with the chin. Find a head that your preferred skin has appliers for, hence Omega. Also, keep in mind the skins that the heads and your body often come preloaded with. For instance, the Vista comes preloaded with YS&YS, 7Deadly Skins and one other I'd not heard of. 

8 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

As far as I know, all Lelutka bento heads cost just the same as catwa, 5000L$.

Except the Lelutka ones are heaps better and i have 2 Catwa ones and don't use them anymore after buying a Lelutka one with its free mesh eyes and bulk load of animations and expressions you pay extra for at Catwa as addons after forking out 20 bucks for a head..

Edited by chardonay Babii
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, chardonay Babii said:

Except the Lelutka ones are heaps better and i have 2 Catwa ones and don't use them anymore after buying a Lelutka one with its free mesh eyes and bulk load of animations and expressions you pay extra for at Catwa as addons after forking out 20 bucks for a head..

Catwa has updated the Bento heads with rigged eyes that take Catwa appliers. The animations has been better too. I love LeLutka, but for Halloween, I discovered the head don't have enough layers. It is the hairbases that has long hairlocks, they use the tattoo layer and then I can't have a neck tattoo, and no freckles, and I really want to use other brows than the one with the skin.... Then the Catwa heads is superb. Their double layers for everything makes it possible to layer, use one hairbase layer for hairbase, the other for the neck tattoo, one brow layer for my brows, the other brow layer for the long strands from the hairbase, the freckles on one blush layer, the other a scar, lipstick on one lip layer, blood on the other....

14 hours ago, chardonay Babii said:

I never said a word about quality. I own a Lelutka head myself, mainly because I don't like Catwas tendency to have ducklips, that you can't get rid off. My comment was purely about the price of the head.

@MaggiJin I just logged in to check it and yes, all Bento heads from Lelutka cost 5000. Maybe you remember buying the non-bento head? That one got a reduced price, I guess.

• 6 months later...
24 minutes ago, MadameLovelybuns said:

It may be normal, but it doesn't seem rational to me...I would rather spend my 20 USD on a month's worth of cookies and just get the free heads that AK gives out every so often, thank you very much.

Hi Necromancer,
whats rational? Is it rational to spend your lifetime in an online world like second life? Should you not be out in the nature, hunting rabbits or collecting herbs? Why do you even post in this forum?
Maybe you should widen your personal horizon... Spend your 20 dollar on cookies, titanium bolts or on 250 plastic spoons, but accept others buying a head for 20 USD. Why? Because they want to and because they can.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.