Paying L$5000 for a Catwa head...is this normal?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I believe the AK Maia deluxe head is still on as a group gift over at Akeruka right now (150L join fee), so the current normal thing is to do five failed teleports into their store, finally squeeze yourself in, then wait 20 minutes for the gift to deliver because everyone's clicking it at the same time.

I haven't unpacked it yet but I have the AK Kumiko head too and that was certainly worth the join fee.

I think it's a high price, but it's a fair price given the amount of work and extras put into it. 

From the head I've tested (I have AK, Lelutka, LAQ and Vista) it's by far the most complete when it comes to addons made by the same creator. It has more animations than the other heads and I feel like the sliders tend do be more flexible than the others. I  have 2 catwas atm because at some point I felt like Catya (the first of their heads and most popular) had a better response to the sliders than the other one  I have (Tala).

But in the end it's all a matter of personal taste and considering if you will or not use all of those features from said head.

I've got Catwa heads both on my main and my photo alt (Shaheen and Eva). I looked at other heads, but with the amount of support and addons Catwa has, I felt that's the safest bet. L$5,000 may be 'much' but consider how much you use it - If you plop L$500 on a dress that you wear 4 times in a year, versus a head you wear 365 days of that year. Unless you have several to switch between, but personally I don't 'like' that. My head and my shape is who 'I am', sometimes when people talk about all the heads, bodies, eyes, bits, addons and whatnot they have it's all starting to sound a bit Repo-esque. 

... To be fair, I love that musical, though.

Walks off humming 'I don't feel nothin' at ah-all' in falsetto. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MadameLovelybuns said:

It may be normal, but it doesn't seem rational to me...I would rather spend my 20 USD on a month's worth of cookies and just get the free heads that AK gives out every so often, thank you very much.

Thank you for posting!  I was just thinking it would be cool if someone would drag up an old post to whine about SL costs again.

I'm not much into cookies. I would rather spend my 13 quid on buying a head as a gift for someone, just because it would make them smile.

Next month I may even. Do it again.  After all, it's only money.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Thank you for posting!  I was just thinking it would be cool if someone would drag up an old post to whine about SL costs again.

I'm not much into cookies. I would rather spend my 13 quid on buying a head as a gift for someone, just because it would make them smile.

Next month I may even. Do it again.  After all, it's only money.

it does make them smile....

once my financial situation improves I´ll do that, too... I do RL stuff like this, like buy a bottle of water and a sandwich and give it to a homeless person...or buy a bottle of water and put it in front of a homeless person who´s sleeping....or place little letters in public places that I write to anybody...anonymously - it´s fun to do stuff like that and give back

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MegaRose said:

I believe the AK Maia deluxe head is still on as a group gift over at Akeruka right now (150L join fee), so the current normal thing is to do five failed teleports into their store, finally squeeze yourself in, then wait 20 minutes for the gift to deliver because everyone's clicking it at the same time.

Weird. My alt TPed there without any problems. Clicked the vendor, waited for few seconds, got the head, went back home.
(Hint: Sometimes "right click and touch" works better in crowded place than mere left click does. Navigating close to the vendor might help too.)

• Like 1

Well, I got the BJD Lance head, which is around 1500. It does work as a lady head at a pinch. Then again, most male head skins look a little funny on it, so I'm looking at either the Adam or one of the cheaper AK heads (maybe the Cole, if only the nose sliders weren't so damn sensitive).

I'm currently avoiding Catwa out of sheer principle, and I'd only bend on the Maitreya ladybody only when BoM is on Firestorm.

28 minutes ago, animats said:

With such elaborate heads, has anyone ever tried connecting a webcam-based facial gesture recognition system? Your bento head could track your own expressions.

I would want it for the whole body so my avi would dance like I did. Like exercise :P

49 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

...but everyone support it.

Which is absolutely frustrating if you prefer the look of a competitor: either there is no choice at all, but Catwa from the very start. Or they used to cater to several brands, but suddenly merely focus on just one brand... yeah, you guessed which one.
It is rare or next to non-existing that I saw a creator expanding their range of available appliers, Omega support being close to a blessing.

I'm carefully watching another creator who has been extremely generous with applier support so far, but now some "Catwa only" releases sneaked in. :(

Just give me a demo, say "this Omega applier was created on the XYZ head, check if it fits on yours or keep on walking" and I'll happily give you money. But well...

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

... I do RL stuff like this, like buy a bottle of water and a sandwich and give it to a homeless person...or buy a bottle of water and put it in front of a homeless person who´s sleeping....or place little letters in public places that I write to anybody...anonymously - it´s fun to do stuff like that and give back

Just last week I was at the Starbucks drive thru - like I am almost every work day morning - and when I got to the window I told that guy that I was paying for the car behind me, whatever they ordered.

Random stuff like that is fun.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Which is absolutely frustrating if you prefer the look of a competitor: either there is no choice at all, but Catwa from the very start. Or they used to cater to several brands, but suddenly merely focus on just one brand... yeah, you guessed which one.
It is rare or next to non-existing that I saw a creator expanding their range of available appliers, Omega support being close to a blessing.

I'm carefully watching another creator who has been extremely generous with applier support so far, but now some "Catwa only" releases sneaked in. :(

Just give me a demo, say "this Omega applier was created on the XYZ head, check if it fits on yours or keep on walking" and I'll happily give you money. But well...

Are you willing to pay the premium mark-up a creator would need to add to pay for the labor of making a product that doesn't sell, though?

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Catwa might be expensive, but everyone support it.

Am I the only one who wishes it wasn't supported by everyone? Meaning the skin I've worn for going on 3 years now, the creator does not offer omega or [AK] appliers. Yeah, it's not the end of the world that they don't and it's that creator's choice but just the same... Why not? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Am I the only one who wishes it wasn't supported by everyone? Meaning the skin I've worn for going on 3 years now, the creator does not offer omega or [AK] appliers. Yeah, it's not the end of the world that they don't and it's that creator's choice but just the same... Why not? 

All things take time to create.  If a creator has limited time in SL to create, they must choose wisely.  It may seem like ...oh , it's just one more tiny hud to add to the product, but ..again that still takes time.  From my experience, I create for only the heads I like to wear and it is time consuming as it is.  So, I create what appeals to me and what works for my schedule.

Really, if you are not finding what you want ...learn to create it.  That the beauty of SL!  Embrace it :D

Edited by Tarani Tempest
bad spelling :P
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tarani Tempest said:

All things take time to create.  If a creator has limited time in SL to create, they must choose wisely.  It may seem like ...oh , it's just one more tiny hud to add to the product, but ..again that still takes time.  From my experience, I create for only the heads I like to wear and it is time consuming as it is.  So, I create what appeals to me and what works for my schedule.

Really, if you are not finding what you want ...learn to create it.  That the beauty of SL!  Embrace it :D

You are right, yes. I hope I didn't come off as ungrateful 'cause I am quite thankful that the skin-line I currently use offers what I want, it's just that lack of omega that bothers me. I'm used to seeing it everywhere so I guess I think it should be everywhere plus. It's not a CATER TO ME NOW thing, it's... huh... I don't know.

I would _love_ to create my own skin, but I'm just not that creative or patient to work on something like that. Maybe one day though. :D

11 minutes ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

You are right, yes. I hope I didn't come off as ungrateful 'cause I am quite thankful that the skin-line I currently use offers what I want, it's just that lack of omega that bothers me. I'm used to seeing it everywhere so I guess I think it should be everywhere plus. It's not a CATER TO ME NOW thing, it's... huh... I don't know.

I would _love_ to create my own skin, but I'm just not that creative or patient to work on something like that. Maybe one day though. :D

Oh gosh, no .. I didn't take it that way at all :)  No worries!

This topic comes up for me a lot. It is one the most frequently asked questions I get.  And, I do actually understand where they are coming from.  They want pretty things for their favorite heads, that makes complete sense to me, so ..yea, I get it.  But I have had to explain my side of it quite a lot.  It just really boils down to what I am personally interested in and TIME.  I need someone to create more time for me ....I'd pay big Ls for that :P

• Like 1

There are cheaper brands than Catwa, and Catwa also do cheaper, non-Bento heads (which means you can't alter their shape using the sliders) The animations for the Basic heads are separate and if you buy the whole package it's almost as expensive as the Bento ones, but you're not obliged to buy the entire set.

Bear in mind that many skins come with appliers for Catwa only; they don't work with other heads, which use Omega. However all Omega skins will also work on Catwa, if you buy the Omega relay for it (which costs extra; L$99 I think). You'll also need the Omega relay if you want to use the Omega eyes which come included with all Catwa heads.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 5:20 PM, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Yes, that's pretty normal if you consider the amount of work and time the creator has to put in creating one, heh.

However, as for a more inexpensive alternative, look here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/de-DE/p/UTILIZATOR-Normie-Head/13071631?page=4

*blonde moment*

Editted post because I fixed the problem and don't want to be pointed at and laughed at!

*Insert angelic smile here*

Edited by Jordan Whitt

With so many wonderful skin makers it should not be hard to find a skin you like made for your favorite head.  I currently use Izzie's Daphene skin on LeLutka Simone head.  I use Pink Fuel with my Catwa heads but those are getting dated.  With LAQ heads I use LAQ skins.   Other than LAQ, I don't buy Omega any more.  I get made for my body appliers from people that build for my favorite parts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.