Question about LL Rules

Cielo Aulder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards

Specifically, see Disclosure in the Community Standards policy:

(reduced and highlighted here)
Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

You can also have a look at the Community Guidelines.  Link is on the right hand side of any forum page (not thread page, tho)

If people are aware that open chat is being relayed, your good. 

I will also say that in many cases, if a report is sent in the Linden that looks at it will go by the spirit of the law more than the letter of the law.  If you are trying to snoop, don't do it.  If you are listening for customer support at various locations at once, you are probably OK as long as there is an easy to find sign telling people someone is listening. 

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Specifically, see Disclosure in the Community Standards policy:

(reduced and highlighted here)
Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

sorry, if i misunderstanding something, but that disclosure says "Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent".
I'm talking of Local Chat, no personal information, and no "Sharing" ....also, from what i understand Local Chat is public.

Read the whole thing, Hon. 

Copied in full this time.  Don't forget everything that is said after "including, but not limited to" because AR Linden sure wont.  The last sentence is what I quoted earlier.

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

But hey, it's not I you need to convince that remote monitoring is OK.  It's the Linden that responds to the complaint.  If you feel that not sharing means good to go, then you are all set.  I wish you the best of luck.

13 hours ago, Cielo Aulder said:

are objects reading Local Chat prohibited??.. I mean.. an object that reads local chat and send it to you when you're not there... is that against the rules?

Does the other person know it's doing this, and consent to it?  That's the important question.

As Linden Lab Official: Residents' privacy rights explains, 

Using a scripted object to log chat

You may use a scripted object to log chat conversations as long as your actions do not conflict with Second Life's Community Standards.

KBnote.png Note: You must get consent to use a scripted object to remotely monitor or log a conversation.

So, if I make something that works like voice-mail -- an object in my shop, say, that is clearly marked "Touch me to record a message for Innula," then that's OK, since by touching it and using it, you consent to your message being recorded.

If, however, I put a hidden object in my shop, to log customers' conversations without their knowledge and consent, then that's forbidden.

5 hours ago, Cielo Aulder said:

I'm talking of Local Chat, no personal information, and no "Sharing" ....also, from what i understand Local Chat is public.

I think you misread the informations.

The Community Standards say :

• the remote monitoring,
  • posting of conversations,
  • sharing of conversations

without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

There's no mention that it's limited to IMs only. It concerns all forms of conversations : local, group, private. No restrictions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cielo Aulder said:

sorry, if i misunderstanding something, but that disclosure says "Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent".

Read it again.

It does say what you said it says AND it also says that the remote monitoring of conversations is prohibited, and that posting conversations is prohibited. Both with the stated exception. In other words, unless those who are being monitored agree to it, it is not allowed, except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation to Linden Lab. You can't just cherry pick the bits of the rules that you are happy with, and ignore the bits you're not happy with.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.