Old account: stipend and extra L$ ?

Riffey4 DeGroot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi guys,

I have an old account (2004) , and consider going premium again. 

I have been premium in the past, and have a basic account now. I'm not sure if the rules below apply for me if I upgrade _again_.

Am I still entitled to the L$ 500/week if I upgrade? 

Riff

Stipends for old accounts

The stipend amount for older accounts depends on what type of account you have and its age.

Premium accounts created or upgraded from basic:

• On or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  • Between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  • Before July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.

Certain old basic accounts get a stipend; basic accounts created

• Before June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week, if they log in that week.
  • After June 6, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

17 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Riffey4 DeGroot said:

Premium accounts created or upgraded from basic:

• On or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  • Between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  • Before July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.

It states your Premium account would need to have been created before July 21, 2006. Since you say you are considering starting again, your premium account starts when you start premium again.

You only get that kind of stipend if you have been premium member since before that date.

• Like 1

According to a friend who let her old $500 stipend account lapse and then reinstated, she now gets $300 instead of the $500.  So if anyone REJOINS they get the current stipend; there is no "grandfathered" provision which seems only fair to me :D. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Riffey4 DeGroot said:

So there is no need to upgrade to premium again. 

There are some other advantages to being premium member, although they might also not apply to you.

As a Premium member you are allowed more group slots than a basic member, and you are given higher priority trying to enter a full sim. Also your transaction data will be store for 90 days, instead of the normal 30.

Edited by lavalois
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Riffey4 DeGroot said:

I never used Linden homes. Are they any good?

however some see those as permanent homes to stay, it's meant to "taste" the life as house owner in sl, and what you can do with/at it.

If you just need a place to rezz when you log in, or unpack items, it's OK... if you want a simple home, with not to many things around you..it's OK..

but... when you want your own style home, more freedom (Linden Homes have quite some restrictions) you can use the same free level of tier to buy a 512m2 parcel at mainland.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riffey4 DeGroot said:

I never used Linden homes. Are they any good? 

If not, as I see it, I'm just missing out on L$ 3000 in exchange for better support. 

That's a very difficult question to answer because it depends heavily on your expectations and your skill level.  Linden Homes are designed to introduce SL residents to owning land and decorating a home under rather simplified conditions. Many people enjoy living in Linden Homes for a long time; others outgrow the starter home experience and want to experiment with larger land areas and homes of their own choosing.  Neither is "right". (BTW, you also have the choice of living in another Linden-created housing development -- Horizons -- where you can own the property outright with few covenant restrictions and the choice of a premade home or one of your own choosing.  And you don't need to be a Premium member.)

Applying the same analysis to the support package for Premium members, again the value depends on your expectations and experience. I have never been a Premium member in almost 11 years and have very rarely needed support for more than an occasional land question (which I can get concierge support for as a region owner).  On the other hand, we see a lot of people posting here in Answers with serious questions that they can't handle themselves -- questions that need the attention of LL support if we can't talk them through solutions here.  They could benefit from "better support".

• Like 1

Lavalois, 

Thanks. I Probably only read "created before 2006" and missed the "upgraded"

So there is no need to upgrade to premium again. 

If I become premium now ($72 a year), I don't get the first-time L$1000, so I get 52* L$300 = 15,600

If I buy L$ at the current rate $71 +$1 transaction fee, I get just over L$18,200.

( I know I don't get the 512M land or premium support or voice morphing)

On 11/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, Chic Aeon said:

According to a friend who let her old $500 stipend account lapse and then reinstated, she now gets $300 instead of the $500.  So if anyone REJOINS they get the current stipend; there is no "grandfathered" provision which seems only fair to me :D. 

This is 100% false. If your account was created before the specified dates and you go premium today, you WILL receive the grandfathered stipend. This has been addressed time and again. Your friend is incorrect.

6 minutes ago, Lee McKay said:

This is 100% false. If your account was created before the specified dates and you go premium today, you WILL receive the grandfathered stipend. This has been addressed time and again. Your friend is incorrect.

I would really like to have an official word on this as it has been LONG ARGUED.   Her case was a few years ago and it may have changed "now".  She WAS getting 500 a week and it went down to 300. She did not complain. "SHE" is not "me" or any alt. Another person who of course I will not name.   

@Grumpity Linden can you clarify this or send on the clarification request to an official person who would know?  Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I would really like to have an official word on this as it has been LONG ARGUED.   Her case was a few years ago and it may have changed "now".  She WAS getting 500 a week and it went down to 300. She did not complain. "SHE" is not "me" or any alt. Another person who of course I will not name.   

@Grumpity Linden can you clarify this or send on the clarification request to an official person who would know?  Thank you. 

It's an INSANELY easy problem to solve. Have someone with an old enough account sign up for Premium...BOOM...your question is answered. Mine qualifies for 500L, but I don't have the funds or I'd do it myself. Even signing up for 30 days, you'll get the answer instantly.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:04 PM, lavalois said:

You only get that kind of stipend if you have been premium member since before that date.

i have one for 400 L$ .. he down and upgraded several times during the years, and still gets the 400
Not sure it's a general line to do so.. sometimes LL ways are mysterious :)

The only thing i encountered is the basic 50L accounts, they dó loose the 50 stipend if ever been premium.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, Chic Aeon said:

This is false. I have never been premium, but my account meets the criteria for 500. I just went premium and I am, in fact, receiving 500.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lee McKay said:

This is false. I have never been premium, but my account meets the criteria for 500. I just went premium and I am, in fact, receiving 500.

You are right, but the quote is too, because it's a different situation.
After grading down from the high stipend premium, LL cán .. and often will, put that old account in the current stipend rate.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:18 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

You are right, but the quote is too, because it's a different situation.
After grading down from the high stipend premium, LL cán .. and often will, put that old account in the current stipend rate.

I don't think so. It seems to be an automated system that just looks at your account creation date.

7 minutes ago, Lee McKay said:

I don't think so. It seems to be an automated system that just looks at your account creation date.

at the accountpage is a line that goes against the post of Grumpity

*Downgrade Warning: If you choose to downgrade from Premium to a Basic membership, all Premium benefits will be lost, and re-upgrading to Premium at a later date will gain whatever premium membership benefits are in effect at the time the membership is upgraded. Original Premium benefits will not be restored.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.