You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In general, my apathy towards all things here has continued to rise but I have a grease monkey script installed in firefox that shows the Marketplace keywords right there on the listing and it's just sad when you see respected merchants utterly spamming their listings with just about anything.  Examples for completely different products from the same merchant:-

Top:

Keywords: sexy,top,sheer,beach,holidays,twisted,satin,folds,lycra,ruched,fun,metals,shiny,soft,lara.body,bust,gorgeous,breast,attractive,glamour,flirt,fashion,style,beautiful,seductive,pretty,erotic,50 shades,

Bra:

Keywords: sexy,top,sheer,party,holidays,valentines day,satin,,lycra,ruched,fun,metals,shiny,soft,lara.body,bust,gorgeous,breast,attractive,glamour,flirt,fashion,style,beautiful,seductive,pretty,erotic,50 shades

Coat:

Keywords: sexy,top,sheer,beach,holidays,twisted,satin,folds,lycra,ruched,fun,metals,shiny,soft,lara.body,bust,gorgeous,breast,attractive,glamour,flirt,fashion,style,beautiful,seductive,pretty,erotic,50 shades,

Sweater:

Keywords: clothes,clubwear,fashion,female,flashy,funky,hot,neon,outfit,block,print,seamless,sexy,stylish,teen,mesh,casual,chic,loose,off shoulder,country,top,sweater,pullover,color block,

Shorts:

Keywords: sporty,sport,skirt,fabric,zipper,gold,colors.colorful,nice,comfortable,shorts,fabric,jeans,denim

Occasionally, they actually get a word in there that matches the product but other than that the rest is just utter spam. Any suggestion that all that has to be done is to flag the item for keyword spam is pointless because for most items, the MP created problem of multiple listings for different colours exists.  So, you would have to go through a dozen listings and flag each one, for each product.  Anyone got time to go through 1685 listings which is the number in the store?

Maybe that's the solution to getting products DE-LISTED for keyword spam, just spam the MP with multiple items (variation in only the texture).

I don't even suspect that most merchants do this deliberately, they're genuinely trying to get items returned in search but the above just illustrates how pointless keywords are.  Consolidation of related listings should have happened a long time ago, maybe limiting each item to say 4 keywords would require merchants to focus somewhat more?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Perhaps they should limit the number of words, not characters. 220 characters cold be as much as 40 5 letter words.  How about a 10 word limit? They really need to make a section where we can add the various mesh bodies our items can fit. Currently we can only list one. 

So - as well as colours - we can now also expect the same outfit listed separately for different mesh bodies. Colours x mesh bodies - yikes!!

Edited by Emma Krokus
Missing punctuation.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

They just need to reduce the size of the keyword field. As I have suggested innumerable Times. 

Why is that so hard?

To exactly how many keywords or characters?

There has to be room for the keywords that are relevant for the product and people looking for it are likley to use.

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

To exactly how many keywords or characters?

There has to be room for the keywords that are relevant for the product and people looking for it are likley to use.

I would say half would be fine. Then they would have to restrict to the most relevant, focused words. 

Edited by Pamela Galli

Totally agree. The Marketplace keywords spam is a nightmare. We already discussed it in different topic. 

Though personally I don't agree that reducing the size of the keyword field would solve the problem. I think the main key-word-spammers are basically very similar to the one I talked with once in-world asking to sort out her marketplace tags (girl from multi-color huds). They just do it intentionally. If they will have smaller key word field they will just drop all the 'gorgeous, seductive, pretty, sexy' etc. and keep 'skirt, top, jacket, lingerie, pants' for everything.

So it's not the right way I think. But then of course I don't know what would be :/  Maybe a system where a person who reports a spammer also has a chance to point to a word which doesn't match the product completely. Like with the girl, I look for pants and I get dresses, shoes, lingerie etc. So I already know the non-matching key words this way. Then the person who verifies it, on the Linden side, approves it and somehow blocks the word from adding as a keyword for this particular listing. But of course I'm not a software developer, I don't know how much work that would requite and if it would be possible to implement at all.  

Every time I reported person mentioned above, with the marketplace Listing Violations - Spam or Disallowed Listing Practices - Keyword Spam (unrelated keywords that skew search results) she put the items back on. Then I only got angry IMs from her like "Great try &^$^$#^$!' etc etc. People like that just don't get that one doesn't do it against them (in the meaning that it's not personal). Reporting the way it is now changes nothing. They feel unpunished and they are unpunished. 

Edited by Pavon2
  • Like 1

Make the keywords used prominent and easily viewable (without having to go Grease Monkey route). As it *is* possible to see them with some effort anyway. Can see how a limit would be tricky so let the buyer decide they are fed up for themselves.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What gets me is people listing don't know the difference between a boat and a dance floor!  I also think that listings should have the option to see the rating in the refined search and demo. I'm also very frustrated with the search box replacing my keywords. Just saying :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.