error with graphics card won't allow firestorm to load

Herbie19

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I have the same problem . I  did as second lifes error message suggested . I updated graphic  drivers that didn't help. I then uninstalled and reinstalled used windows drivers and AMDs both, neither one fixed the problem.  I finally took my pc to a tech and he was lost himself on what it could be. I finally called AMD RADEON and he said it was caused by  windows update that came out around Nov 23, 2017,    Since my graphics card does not have supported software for windows 10. The only solutions he could suggest  and said it may or may not work was to  reinstall the drivers  for that video card   the oldest one u can find. The date being 2015. from the url site that comes up when u select to update drivers when u are in Device Management. I am sorry I can not recall what it is right now and I am on a different computer. If that didn't work then he said only solution would  to upgrade my graphics card. Mine is a 4524. It worked great in  second life for over a year  till this windows update. So ANICENT or not it was doing the job prior to this

Edited by suzansunu
added the graphics card number

If you do a quick Google search to https://www.google.com/search?q=radeon+4200+windows+10  , you will see that there are quite a number of sites that either discuss the problem and explain how to work around it or connect you to places where you can download the proper drivers.  There's no way of getting around the fact that you have an ancient graphics card, so the best solution is to replace it with something newer, but it does look as if other people have been able to get theirs to work with Windows 10.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Thank you for that  work around  for the graphic card drivers. I installed the ones AMD  Radeon had on their site for the 4524.  Also, as I have said it worked for a good year with the old ones till this windows update. I have  forwarded that url from your post  to my computer tech since he has my pc at his store at the  moment. 

FYI, I had the same problem with the graphics card. It was in fact due to the Windows 10 update done 11/23/2017. By the time I figured out the fix I had already installed an upgraded graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5450). However, that alone did not fix the problem. I then installed the AND Catalyst using the link that Rolig Loon provided above. I did the search for my new graphics card using 5450 rather 4200 and found the catalyst. I clean installed Catalyst Software Suite ver 15.7.1. Everything is up and running now. The catalyst is good for Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. I probably did not need to replace the graphics card. It's possible the catalyst will work for all Radeon cards.     

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.