lumiya removed from third party viewer directory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, chilicheese said:

Does anyone know, why lumiya viewer for android has been removed from the third party viewer directory?

What does it mean? Is there something wrong with it or is it detected as insecure?

Not sure why it was removed, look like OZ deleted it from the listing on August 7th.

I have used Lumiya since then, so at least the app is still functioning. 

Until there's something public stated about it ( I cannot find any fine details ), It might be a good idea to stay away from it. Even the the wiki suggests : "Beware of third-party viewers that are not in the Viewer Directory: they have either declined to self-certify their compliance with Linden Lab policies or been refused for noncompliance with the policies." , so we can only assume something must have happened with Lumiya where it no longer qualifies to be listed. You can read through the Policy on Third-Party Viewers to get a better idea of what the criteria is. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, chilicheese said:

Thanks for the quick reply.
You can still find the app in play store, but that doesn`t mean anything.
So we have to be patient until there is any new information...

Too True! Both Lumiya and all the extensions (Voice, Chat Logs) are still up on the play store, but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

At the very least, I doubt they can keep charging 3 bucks for the App now that it is no longer listed on the wiki, so this could spell the end for Lumiya!! 

• Thanks 1

I've used Lumiya quite a few times since it's stopped appearing in the TPV to quickly check an alt's balance see how much i've saved towards a planned purchase and it's showing up as available to download in my library on a new Android device. I have seen a few people pop-up in, in-world groups wondering why Lumiya's not on the list but not yielded any insight. I do hope it's not the end for the app as it's the only SL app for Android that's worth bothering with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, SAULGOODiE said:

"Until there's something public stated about it ( I cannot find any fine details ), It might be a good idea to stay away from it. "

Despite this being so long since this was last commented on, given that  another android second life viewer viewer was recently banned from connecting to Second life servers it's worth mentioning that Lumiya despite not being listed in the TPVD is NOT restricted in any way.

There are various reasons a viewer might not be listed  but not being in it doesn't mean they are bad or wrong to use. Cool VL for example isn't listed because the owner feels strongly the TPV policy goes against his countries own policies , "The Cool VL Viewer is itself TPV-policy compliant (and for people wondering why it is not listed in LL's TPV directory, it's simply because I don't want to provide private data to LL about myself, data which is illegal to require for such a purpose in my country. Being listed in the directory is in no way a requirement for a viewer to be considered TPV-policy compliant anyway: see the paragraph 6 of the TPV policy)."

I use Lumiya personally often without any worries.

Lumiya - like many other Android apps: *could* be malicious: 

I am NOT saying it is or even may likely be LOL and I know this ISN'T the one in question, I'm just saying who knows if it's not something like this? And who knows if it was or wasn't the Dev who requested to be removed from the directory? Has anyone asked them?

Edited by Alyona Su

27 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Lumiya - like many other Android apps: *could* be malicious: 

I am NOT saying it is or even may likely be LOL and I know this ISN'T the one in question, I'm just saying who knows if it's not something like this? And who knows if it was or wasn't the Dev who requested to be removed from the directory? Has anyone asked them?

..if you'r not saying it why post it this way ?

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.