How is piano normally positioned?

KairisLove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is the piano supposed to be semi-transparent? If it isn't some builder deserves a smack over their fingers for covering it with rogue alpha textures. That's a noob mistake. If the piano is modifiable, you can do a quick-and-dirty fix by editing it, selecting the problem faces and change the alpha mode to "none". If not, contact the seller and demand that they fix it. That's the least they can do.

However, if the piano is supposed to be (semi)transparent, there's not much that can be done about it.

It's called the alpha sorting bug - or just the alpha bug. What happens is that when two surfaces with transparency - such as the piano and the curtain here - overlap, the viewer often have problems deciding which is the nearest and sorts them in the wrong way.

In a home, a grand piano is normally placed so it's flat side is against an inner wall.

The bass side of the piano, left side, being parallel to the wall allows the sounds to bounce off it and become richer. It is ok to put the piano at up to a 45 degree angle, but keep the left of the keyboard closest to the wall.

You would normally want the pianist to face into the room, not into a wall. So the seat can be in the corner of the room, and the "pointy bit" of the grand towards the middle.

Doing it wrong and facing the opened lid towards the wall leads to a muffled sound. And facing the pianist into a corner makes them feel claustrophobic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

And facing the pianist into a corner makes them feel claustrophobic.

They're supposed to! I know all about that, I used to play keyboards in a band and as often as not I was placed hidden behind the PA. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

They're supposed to! I know all about that, I used to play keyboards in a band and as often as not I was placed hidden behind the PA. :P

It happens so often! hehehe

Is the piano supposed to be semi-transparent? If it isn't some builder deserves a smack over their fingers for covering it with rogue alpha textures. That's a noob mistake.

I have the same piano in black, it's no mod/no copy, and hell on earth for triggering the alpha stacking bug. But the music with (the black version) is so wonderful. Doing masking on the drapes is likely more possible.

piano_002.thumb.png.7867d75996b8f7a5391889713d3f0fda.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

For personal enjoyment, place a grand piano so you've got a pleasing view when playing it.

For use as a decorative prop, place the piano with the keyboard facing the entrance of the room, or the gathering spot. Your current placement is just fine for that purpose.

If you're going to use it to accompany holiday carolers in your home, place it for the best composition in snapshots. For that I'd pull the piano away from the wall and turn it so the lid hinge is farthest from the camera. This will put you in profile as you're playing. Place the carolers at the tail end of the piano, facing you.

Now, if I had a few pianos, I'd arrange them like this...

Pianos.jpg.00afe9990892d0dd3fc296efed6de564.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Now, if I had a few pianos, I'd arrange them like this...

Pianos.jpg.00afe9990892d0dd3fc296efed6de564.jpg

Humidity's rising, Barometer's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining pianos.

It's Raining Pianos! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Pianos! Amen
I'm gonna go out, I'm gonna let myself get,
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Pianos! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Pianos! Every Specimen!
Oak, cherry, ebony and painted
Rough and tough and strong and mean

• Like 2

Somebody's going to post this anyway. Might as well be me.

1391294317.jpg.dd33cf9773762be6932a29b0d6800e91.jpg

Anyway, seriously. The position in the picture is perfectly normal for a big grand piano in a residental house. The muffled sound Callum mentioned, doesn't matter. In fact you probably want to dampen it a bit. That piano is made to fill a small concert hall.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

(Satire)

The CIA Bungled An Attempt To Drop A Piano On Fidel Castro’s Funeral Procession

According to intelligence sources, the CIA started to plan the dropping of a 400-pound Steinway on Castro’s remains the moment the agency was made aware of the Cuban leader’s passing. Agents devised a system where they would tie a piano to a helicopter and fly it above the funeral processional, but in a mortifying turn of events, the rope was reportedly cut too early, and the piano fell out of the sky and landed harmlessly 50 yards ahead of the march.

800.jpg.beee96ba9444f4c847c871b85757efa6.jpg

After a 200-foot drop out of the sky, the piano smashed against the pavement with a deafening combination of high and low musical notes, exposing the idiocy of the CIA for the world to see. At that point, eyewitnesses reported that Castro’s funeral parade paused momentarily, looked up to the sky in confusion, and then proceeded to walk right around the rubble, as if nothing had happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

In a home, a grand piano is normally placed so it's flat side is against an inner wall.

The bass side of the piano, left side, being parallel to the wall allows the sounds to bounce off it and become richer. It is ok to put the piano at up to a 45 degree angle, but keep the left of the keyboard closest to the wall.

You would normally want the pianist to face into the room, not into a wall. So the seat can be in the corner of the room, and the "pointy bit" of the grand towards the middle.

Doing it wrong and facing the opened lid towards the wall leads to a muffled sound. And facing the pianist into a corner makes them feel claustrophobic.

oki so the seat be in tree side .. thanks i'll fix that ^_^

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

A piano right by the fireplace???? :o

Or a piano as the fireplace, as we do in Wisconsin...

"Gradually it becomes... you know, it's nonsense."

And that's the Holy Grail, isn't it?

ETA: More background... http://archive.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/great-balls-of-fire-bar-torches-piano-to-mark-solstice-b99524694z1-309350871.html/

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Just now, Coby Foden said:

OMG! :S

Well, the fireplace might be just for decoration with fake fire, no heat radiating from it.
People decorate their houses even with stuff like that.

A friend has a beautiful grand piano in her parlor, right next to the fireplace. She's got IR blocking fireplace doors that save the piano and ruin the experience.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.