Seeking Geisha Training

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, there are, but my advice is to visit each of them and make sure that they are a match for you before choosing one.  There are knowledgeable groups that range from very intensive training to casual, and then there's always a group or two around that just like to play dress up.  They're easily found by using "geisha" or "okiya" as a search term.

You might want to start by speaking with leaders at the bigger groups.  The active ones that come to mind immediately are Hanafusa, Blue Lotus, and Yoshiwara.  (Also Karyukai.  Definitely didn't mean to forget the oldest.)  I did see someone list Amatsu Shima above but I'm really not sure that they are active at the moment.  As I said, please do visit and chat before making your decision.  They have very different styles, length of training, and plan events at different times. If you find that one is not going to be a fit through conversation they'll generally try to steer you in the right direction.

Edited by Noriko Engawa
Adding Karyukai :)

As mentioned, using "geisha" in search will bring up not only groups, but also many traditional Japanese Edo Period themed sims, often with markets/vendors selling the appropriate clothing, hair, makeup, skins etc., from SL's Japanese content creators.

If you're interested in immersing yourself in the flower and willow world in SL it would be an interesting exercise to read the memoir of the only non-Japanese woman to become a geisha: Geisha by Liza Dalby [Amazon US link]. It's a fascinating and at times very moving read.

Edited by Skell Dagger

Thank you Morgan and thank you, Skell.  I have read the Memoirs of a Geisha, although it was a few years ago.  I plan to re read that book and I looked up Geisha, that you mentioned. Sadly it is not available on Kindle, but will definitely order that as well.  I have had this huge fascination with those that lived the life of a Geisha for years and was pleasantly surprised when I came to SL(I'm like a child at Christmas with all the possibilities that SL offers!), that it is something I can actually immerse myself in.  I look forward to learning more and becoming active in that world.

Thank you all for the responses and advice!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.