Ready Player One movie - it's like an ad for Second Life

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life won't have HMDs so no, SL won't ever be RPO, but Sansar very much could be. There is a new experience in Sansar based on RPO, called:

Ready Player One: Aech's Basement. It is the VR recreation of Aech’s Basement from Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One. Interpreted from the original ILM design for Ready Player One from Warner Bros. Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Village Roadshow Pictures, opening on March 29, 2018. © and ™ Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. 

Here's your taxi if interested  -   https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/sansar-studios/ready-player-one-aech-s-basement

Linden Lab would do well to stay far away from tie-ins with Ready Player One. Imagine someone who has seen the movie trying Second Life. Is there anything in SL that's like the action in Ready Player One? People already used to SL might imagine it, but a newbie fresh from the movie won't. So the newbie goes to Sansar and finds the Ready Player One experience. Lots of action there? No, it's a museum display. People will be expecting video game style action, but Sansar doesn't allow fast movements because moving around fast in a VR headset makes you queasy. Also, not enough of Sansar is in place to allow much action whether slow-paced or fast. The movie is too far ahead of virtual world reality.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 6:10 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LL needs to redesign their viewer so that it mimics SL 1.23

That viewer was so easy and intuitive even  I was able to master it.   

I still use the Firestorm Phoenix layout.

I get a head ache trying to figure out the mess of the current SL viewer on those rare occasions I'm forced to use it.

I disagree. Just switched to Firestorm because I finally got a machine that will run it without crashing. It's been an easy switch because it's basically V2 with quick preferences and a bunch of the advanced and develop menus pulled out to real menus. 1.23 hurt the eyes and was even less intuitive. For me.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

V2? You mean V3, surely. There should be no remnants of the V2 viewer left anywhere.

Yep. I was out of world when official switched to 3. Tho I did not mind 2 so much. And yes, I know that is a minority opinion. I hated 1.23 and was happy for anything else. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.