littlepinkpie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As I recall, OC has a number of looping animations which vary your hover height.   Using that option plays the appropriate one and then other animations are layered over it.

It was introduced as a workaround for the fact we used not to have the option of adjusting hover height in the viewer.   Now that's available,  I would change my viewer settings rather than use a scripted solution.

The system as originally introduced included a number of high-priority animations included in the collar whose only function was to vary the avatar's z offset from the ground.    That's all the animations did.    When the system was properly set up, when the collar received an instruction to start playing an animation for which you had specified there should be an offset (Nadu, for the sake of example), it would trigger not only Nadu but also the animation you'd specified to vary the z offset.   This over-rode whatever z offset was specified by the Nadu animation, with the result you appear to be at the correct offset from the floor.

So it's not adjusting the animation you've put in the collar.   It's layering one of its own animations over your animation to over-ride the z offset.

I've not looked at OC recently but that's certainly how it used to work.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Yes.  Exactly the same way that many drink animations or animations for, say, holding a pocketbook do it.  It's a decent approach in those applications. I can't see a particularly good reason for using it today for hover height, though.  As Innula said, it's much easier to set your hover height manually now than it was in the old days, so we don't need awkward scripty workarounds.

There is also a debug setting, AvatarHoverOffsetZ, that appears to work independently of the hover setting in your shape. The Firestorm viewer has a Hover Height slider in its Quick Preferences floater by default. And there's an RLV command, @adjustheight:n=force, that you can use from a script.

Edited by KT Kingsley

You could try something like this:

{
    attach (key id)
    {
        if (id) llOwnerSay ("@adjustheight:1.0=force");
        else llOwnerSay ("@adjustheight:0=force");
    }
}

which adds a hover of "1.0" when the object carrying the script is worn, and resets it to 0 when it's removed.

Actually, the parameters for @adjustheight are more involved than I've shown here, but for myself, in practice, I've just trial-and-errored a single value parameter that works (I'm a very lazy scripter). A value of 1.0, without any other parameters appears the set a hover height of 0.1m. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Protocol/RestrainedLoveAPI#Movement for more info (and this links to http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=447 for even more detail). Note that not all RLV enabled viewers support this function, though Firestorm does.

Edited by KT Kingsley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.