Diagnostic Inquiry

AlleyCat Tyles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This question is about scripts and in two parts.
First off: The situation is one script activates or refers to another script which includes referring to a notecard. Does a diagnostic tool exist in the Firestorm viewer, which would allow to see a script get activated or a notecard being read. Alternatively, is there a tool that accomplishes that objective. I do appreciate I am asking a very generic question here. It sprcifically relates to the following:

I am using the XPOSE version 4.0 ul engine. I am attempting to add chains/cuffs. I have followed the XPOSE CHAIN/CUFF SUPPORT instructions and placed the appropriate scripts. I honestly believe I have set up everything correctly. I have all the diagnostic tools included with the engine. On restart, the diagnostics are run and I receive no errors or warnings. In using the poses, I receive not script or warning errors using the tools I am aware of in Firestorm viewer. Using the engine menu, the correct objects rez, the poses are correct, I can give out and wear cuffs, everything works with one exception. The chains do not appear (visible or invisible) linking the cuffs to the binding point prims. I am sure it is something very simple but I am stumped. Any advise would be appreciated. 

If there are debugging tools for a specific script, they exist because the person who wrote that script created them at the time. If the scripts in your object are modifiable (pretty unlikely if it is a commercial product), they you can do as Nova suggests and insert your own diagnostic statements at key points. Otherwise, you will need to consult the instructions that came with the object or ask the object's creator.

If, as I think is the case, the chains you are talking about are particle chains, the first thing I would check is your viewer's settings to make sure you haven't somehow set them so you can't see particles.    Have you checked to see whether other people can see the chains?

It's years since I've worked with XPOSE but I think i remember having difficulties with their chains, myself.   It's too long ago to remember but as I recall the problem was that the instructions were a bit ambiguous and I wasn't sending the right trigger messages.   So it's probably not your viewer, but I would exclude that first.

Is there any particular reason for using the XPOSE system?   Even before Code Violet made it free, I'd have been inclined to use AvSitter, which is simple and efficient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Is there any particular reason for using the XPOSE system?

Maybe it isn't easy for them to write off the 100k license cost just yet. :)

Funny thing is, with my recent adventure to make Animesh compatible with XPOSE, I noticed the notecard structure of the commands, selections and positions was very similar to AVSitter, almost as if one was based off the other. I don't know which is the chicken or the egg in that case, though, as I think they've both been around for almost a decade.

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Maybe it isn't easy for them to write off the 100k license cost just yet. :)

Funny thing is, with my recent adventure to make Animesh compatible with XPOSE, I noticed the notecard structure of the commands, selections and positions was very similar to AVSitter, almost as if one was based off the other. I don't know which is the chicken or the egg in that case, though, as I think they've both been around for almost a decade.

The good old sunk cost fallacy!

As to the menu system, I think I can help there.   Originally, Miffy Fluffy wrote MLP.    Miffy then started working on XPOSE, which is MLP on steroids and at enormous expense.    I can't remember if MLP was always OS or if Miffy made it OS before abandoning it to develop XPOSE, but Lear Cale came along a couple of years later, picked up MLP and developed it into MLPV, which is very widely used.

A few years after that,  Code Violet developed AvSitter, which doesn't use poseballs at all.   I think she deliberately emulated the menu structure both MLPV and XPOSE had inherited from MLP in order to make it easy for people to convert from MLPV to her system -- she provides a tool that reads the MLPV notecards and converts them into a format her configuration cards can use, so using the same menu structure seems a sensible way to go. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you all for your responses.
Yes, I kinda figured there would need to be something in the script to get feedback on progress.
Innula - Yes, I can see chains. Tested it out on my devPose bed. I am using old engines :)
Yes, the XPOSE instructions I have are to rez an object that has attachment points and only that. I have tried just having an attachment point by itself and no go. The instructions are not too bad, I get the logic just no chains.
There are a couple of scripts needed, the ones I have are the correct names obviously. I do wonder if the mine are bad. This engine is so old, I had a terrible time finding the scripts for chains.
In answer to your question, I am working with an existing item that uses XPOSE and just adding to it. I do not make items for sale and this is not for any commercial use.

I am just stumped right now and not sure how to proceed.

I have never used XPose, but I used MLPV2 many years ago. Messages were tossed between scripts in that system as link messages, which are more efficient than chat in a linked system. I would expect XPose to do the same thing.  If I remember correctly, users were often confused by how to write the llMessageLinked statements, and ended up getting them wrong a lot of the time.  If you are communicating between scripts that are in the same prim, your llMessageLinked statements should say LINK_THIS.  To send messages to scripts that are in other prims, they should say LINK_ALL_OTHERS or target a specific link by its link number.  If you get that relatively simple direction wrong, the scripts won't hear each other.

EDIT: And of course, if the scripts aren't in the same linkset, you can't use link messages at all. ;)

Edited by Rolig Loon

I've just been looking at my old Xpose stuff.  The most recent copy of the .XPOSE Chain/Cuff Interface script I have is  XPOSE version 4.0 - build 00005.   If that's any use to you, I will drop you a copy in-world if you want.

It's full perms,  so you can easily stick in some debug messages to make sure it's receiving the expected link messages and then sending them on the correct channel to the rezzed item when appropriate.   The :XPOSE Chain Binding Point script is no mod, but you know what channel the Interface script is using to send messages to the rezzed item (lines 77 and following of my Chain/Cuff interface script) so you can listen to make sure the object is receiving them.   If the worst comes to the worse, it shouldn't be too difficult to write your own Chain Binding Point script, assuming you're using LockMeister cuffs.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Yes, thank you Innula, do send me a copy of that script. The two pertinent scripts are .XPOSE Chain Binding Point and .XPOSE Chain/Cuff Interface, as you say. Yes, I am using Lockmeister. This really should be simple, I just may be missing the obvious. I will fiddle around with it and see what I can figure out, thank you again for your assistance.

@AlleyCat Tyles  Sent.   I think I would double-check the messages that are getting sent, including those sent between the cuffs and the chain binding points on channel -8888.    Even though I'm used to working with Lockmeister, it often takes me several attempts to get the message formatting right.   

Since the chain binding point script is no-mod, how does it know which cuff target to use?   I'm assuming that's part of the string sent to it by the Chain/Cuff interface, but I can't remember.  That's certainly where I'd start looking, I think.    An extraneous space or some other typographical oddity in a message is often enough to stop the system from working, so that part  of your set-up seems to me a a likely place for an error to creep in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.