Problem with tattoos

Bench1290

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey

I have a problem with my tattoos. I have added them correctly as my experienced friend gave me the step by step. My problem is, they do not load until you are zooming very close, anything more than 3 meters away and you see nothing albeit sometimes a patch here and there. This is what other people see too.

It's really bugging me. Anyone have any idea or had before?

f56f0b46f8332283eb456a286cbd6303.png.1a6b9444251268e82015e2a9b4010f78.png Far away, a patch shows up (usually blank)

3d02410741431232b43a2dc946210e1b.png.013e589fa78c297eb4f5a6a36ee28b28.png  Pretty close, usually tattoos load by now, no?

7359c668ccb4fbd87f939dc80c2723c1.png.43cd5dadf5f8cffd27caf87f1efa4c99.png  Extremely close and finally they all load :(

22 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Bench1290 said:

Hello, my LOD is 2, on 4 it would load a little more but not much.

Good. A setting of 2 is adequate for well-made mesh objects. You should only need to have a higher setting if you are around a lot of mesh objects that have poorly-constructed low-LOD models.  The default setting for the standard LL viewer is 1.5.

It may just be the body is not that well made. 

The tattoo is usually an Applier. So, if any part of the tat shows the texture has loaded. It should all be visible. A complete texture downloads or any partial downloads are discarded.

When it isn't, as you images show, there is a problem with the mesh it is being applied to. 

Changing your viewer's LoD setting to 4 is a lame solution to circumvent a performance feature of SL to offset poor design. Unfortunately, a personal viewer change in LoD affects everyone as it increases the amount of data being downloaded which affects the region and asset servers. It isn't a huge impact, but a region full of avatars run by viewers with a setting of LoD 4 has a significant impact.

So Drake1 is enabling poor designers by using LoD 4 full time.  Long debates have raged because Firestorm uses a default of LoD 2 and designers build for 2.0 in place of the more performance minded LL Viewer default 1.5. The FS techies get on about the 0,5 increase.

You may not be aware that the Lab is looking at revising Land Impact and Avatar Complexity Index costs this coming 2018. Plus they are thinking about changing the mesh uploaded to add cost when poor LoD models are used. Neither of these is certain to be implemented.

45 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

It may just be the body is not that well made. 

The tattoo is usually an Applier. So, if any part of the tat shows the texture has loaded. It should all be visible. A complete texture downloads or any partial downloads are discarded.

When it isn't, as you images show, there is a problem with the mesh it is being applied to. 

Changing your viewer's LoD setting to 4 is a lame solution to circumvent a performance feature of SL to offset poor design. Unfortunately, a personal viewer change in LoD affects everyone as it increases the amount of data being downloaded which affects the region and asset servers. It isn't a huge impact, but a region full of avatars run by viewers with a setting of LoD 4 has a significant impact.

So Drake1 is enabling poor designers by using LoD 4 full time.  Long debates have raged because Firestorm uses a default of LoD 2 and designers build for 2.0 in place of the more performance minded LL Viewer default 1.5. The FS techies get on about the 0,5 increase.

You may not be aware that the Lab is looking at revising Land Impact and Avatar Complexity Index costs this coming 2018. Plus they are thinking about changing the mesh uploaded to add cost when poor LoD models are used. Neither of these is certain to be implemented.

Perhaps you missed where the OP said he had to fiddle with his alpha masking? 

I'm enabling poor designers? Well gee.. I guess i will just crank my settings down to 1.5 and not see the semi poorly designed mesh when i want to take pictures.. I would hazard a guess that the people with ARCs of over 400K have more of a drain on LL asset servers than my LOD at 4. 

On 11/28/2017 at 8:47 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

...Unfortunately, a personal viewer change in LoD affects everyone as it increases the amount of data being downloaded which affects the region and asset servers. It isn't a huge impact, but a region full of avatars run by viewers with a setting of LoD 4 has a significant impact...

Alwin, are you sure about this?  I would think that a higher LOD setting would only affect the viewer-side lag, thus only impacting the individual user's performance.

33 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Alwin, are you sure about this?  I would think that a higher LOD setting would only affect the viewer-side lag, thus only impacting the individual user's performance.

If I set my viewer to LoD 4, it'll download higher poly versions of things at greater distances from me. I could see that taxing the asset servers, but not the simulators. The simulators are only keeping track of object locations and bounding boxes for collisions.

29 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why did you quote Nalates and name Alwin? I am so confused...

Because it gave Alwin a chance to proclaim innocence maybe.....  not that most of us would be swayed by such claims  :D

The more likely explanation is that Lindal just had Alwin on the brain for some reason.

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Get in line ....

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving in the McMasters house without 22:26 of silence around the fireplace, listening to The Massacree Revisited and Arlo's brilliant explanation for the 18:20 gap in the Watergate tapes.

ETA: Well, not quite 22:26 of silence. We've never been able to resist singing along at the end.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Been litterin' and creatin' a nuisance again, Drake?

...scootchs over a li'l and watches Lindal stick out a foot to keep from falling off the end.

No ma'am, I just put one letter under a ton o garbage down the side of a ditch.. I have no idea how the rest of that garbage got there... 

40 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving in the McMasters house without 22:26 of silence around the fireplace, listening to The Massacree Revisited and Arlo's brilliant explanation for the 18:20 gap in the Watergate tapes.

ETA: Well, not quite 22:26 of silence. We've never been able to resist singing along at the end.

/me jumps up and down shoutin "KILL!!! KILL!! KILL!! KILL!!"'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.