Why Isn't There a Combat Section in the Forums?

Parx Oran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

none of my questions have actually been answered.

The only thing Tommy cleared up was that one of my posts was in the wrong place, and combat isn't roleplay.

Idk maybe if I phrase it differently I'll get an answer.

Why does roleplay get a subforum, when combat is the other side of the same coin?

- possible answer: because combat isn't posted about often enough to merit one

- in which my response would be: Because we haven’t needed it in the past. Communities up to this point have mostly relied on people within their communities to stick around, join other sims, try other sims out etc… but within their communities. The Goreans are a good example of this. With time that has thinned out, and advertisement and exposure has only just this last year become a priority for different communities. On top of that we’re misrepresented, and have no place to post. I’m certain a subforum would explode with input from all sorts of communities if one were to be put in. Why haven’t people tried before? Because they are certain they’d get the resistance I’m currently facing.

What comes after that would be new information and i'm willing to bet would get dodged, or ignored.

Edit: ayy pageking again.

Edited by Parx Oran

10 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"We" didn't clear that up, you just ignored reality, playing Medal of Combat/Call of Slaughter/Space Wombles 40K or any other FPS game is RP, you are pretending to be something for fun, thats RP, it may not involve you learning to type para-novella spam, you might confine your RP to screaming "Die! foreign devils DIE!" at your monitor while hammering the strafe button.

The whole RP/Not RP thing is an irrelevant sidetrack, the issue is...

Is your "community" large enough and popular enough to deserve it's own sub forum.

Comparison with other un-forumed groups says HELL NO.

Tommy says HELL NO.

Too bad, how sad, move along, nothing to see here, learn to use the existing categories, like all the other groups more popular than yours do.

I'm not pretending to be something for fun. I'm doing something for fun.

This isnt about the community i'm in as i've stated multiple times. i'd be selfish to think the community i'm apart of alone deserves a combat forum.

Most popular sims with the largest amounts of traffic involve Combat, RP, or Sex.

It'd be futile to try and list every community that involved combat because the amount of them are massive.

Edited by Parx Oran

36 minutes ago, Parx Oran said:

With time that has thinned out, and advertisement and exposure has only just this last year become a priority for different communities.

So... now you're claiming that you DESERVE your own sub forum not only because you are the "Massive percentage" but specifically, because... You admit that your numbers are in decline and that you are not as "Massive" as you'd like to be or used to imagine your selves being in the past.

See, if you'd said in your OP "Hi, we are an endangered species, treat us like pandas, and give us our own forum" people might have reacted differently.

A charity concert perhaps, your own cute logo donated by a skilled artist, a lifetime supply of fresh bamboo from a local garden center, and a world wide ban on the sale of your stuffed carcases & traditional medicines made from embarrassing body parts... :D 

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 1

I don't think that asking for a Combat Sub-forum is at all unreasonable. The Second Life Military Community has a lot of people just on it's own

Case and Point:

https://gyazo.com/9a5a1a77ea943242939ce628d9947d3d

Searching SLMC which is our way of finding Sims in our community brings up 20 or so results 10 of which have 1000 or more traffic. I have more metrics that i track but those aren't stored by SL and people can say i'm cooking the books on those so there's no point in me posting them.

But this isn't just about people that use Sims for Linden Damage, the VICE Community does a lot of combat with no Roleplay involved either.  These points have already been raised.

People involved in Combat, Linden Damage, Gorean Meter, zCS, VICE, and whatever other meters are out there produce A LOT of content and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some support from Linden Lab regarding a platform to communicate with each other and discuss things. People and Stores like to shoot guns without Roleplay reasons.

It's pretty ridiculous how hostile people are being to the topic. It made me think i was looking at SLU and not the actual second life community forum when i first got here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

So... now you're claiming that you DESERVE your own sub forum not only because you are the "Massive percentage" but specifically, because... You admit that your numbers are in decline and that you are not as "Massive" as you'd like to be or ised to imagine your selves being in the past.

See, if you'd said in your OP "Hi, we are an endangered species, treat us like pandas, and give us our own forum" people might have reacted differently.

A charity concert perhaps, your own cute logo donated by a skilled artist, a lifetime supply of fresh bamboo from a local garden center, and a world wide ban on the sale of your stuffed carcases & traditional medicines made from embarrassing body parts... :D 

You're very bad at twisting words. If you want to make me out like the bad guy, you need to be taking direct quotes from me, and rearranging them so it seems like I'm mega Hitler. I can get you in touch with the SLMC's finest on the subject, Wyatt Vanistok.

Edited by Parx Oran
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Parx Oran said:

Why does roleplay get a subforum, when combat is the other side of the same coin?

I don't know about you, but I like to keep the two sides of my coins together at all times. I suspect they'd no longer be legal tender if I separated them. :)

In other words, if they're two sides of them same coin a single section is sufficient.

2 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I don't know about you, but I like to keep the two sides of my coins together at all times. I suspect they'd no longer be legal tender if I separated them. :)

In other words, if they're two sides of them same coin a single section is sufficient.

then perhaps a 'roleplay/combat' subforum should be suggested.

Quick as a name change, really.

Edited by Parx Oran

Just now, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

That isn't really the case for how a lot of people do "Combat" in SL, some people just want to go to a place and shoot guns at each other and then go do other stuff. They don't want to get involved in some BDSM trap and slave play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hadet Sonnenkern said:

Searching SLMC which is our way of finding Sims in our community brings up 20 or so results 10 of which have 1000 or more traffic

1000 Traffic, isn't exactly impressive, the parcel I live on was pulling down 5k traffic figures with just the 4 residents and a few personal friends dropping by on regular occasions.

If that's the SLMC's definition of "massive percentage" then it's "Panda Time" for you guys...

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

1000 Traffic, isn't exactly impressive, the parcel I live on was pulling down 5k traffic figures with just the 4 residents and a few personal friends dropping by on regular occasions.

If that's the SLMC's definition of "massive percentage" then it's "Panda Time" for you guys...

then howabout we look at DCS traffic?

I even have quotes from a very large portion of the leading DCS sim owners and administrators saying directly they would be in support of a combat subforum.

not including the VICE admins I've spoken with.

I haven't even made it to the Gorean section yet.

Edited by Parx Oran

5 minutes ago, Hadet Sonnenkern said:

They don't want to get involved in some BDSM trap and slave play

So... If the BDSM "trap and slave play" communities were a "massive percentage", and say... More "massive" than you, you'd support them getting their own sub forum, before you do?

Think carefully before you answer, as it WILL affect what people think of your demands...

Just now, Klytyna said:

I'm not here to quote Parx he's usually really good at self-destructing his own arguments, but I don't disagree with what he's trying to do. What i'm saying is that our Community does have a lot of people in it. The Public groups for our community are relatively big the majority of them having 500 or more people in them for setting home it's part of how we assess numbers. Traffic in our sims is hard to track as it really depends on which sim was attacked the most that day so some days one sim will end up with 20K Traffic and other days there will just be 5-10K Traffic across the board because there were no large attacks and mostly just people working on content. 

I'm not trying to say that this is necessary for just our community it'd be nice to share ideas and scripts and so on with communities that are necessarily roleplay communities but do like to shoot at each other. Not all roleplay sims have Combat and not all Combat sims are roleplay.

You're really not adding anything to this discussion just being constantly contrarian to everything that's posted here. 

• Like 1

Then why don't we look at DCS Traffic?

I even have quotes from many differing DCS Admins and owners stating they'd like a combat subforum, and are in support.

Also went over to VICE, and they too would eagerly await a combat subforum.

I haven't even gotten to the goreans.

If we're talking sim traffic, Combat still wins SLMC or not.

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

So... If the BDSM "trap and slave play" communities were a "massive percentage", and say... More "massive" than you, you'd support them getting their own sub forum, before you do?

Think carefully before you answer, as it WILL affect what people think of your demands...

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to separating Roleplay and Adult Roleplay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

of course lol. If they represent a large portion of the game, they deserve representation on basic communication platforms.

Even if i dislike those communities, they deserve a seat.

12 hours ago, Grevan Snowdrop said:

Actually, I am growing a feeling that you guys are just happy you found a new topic in the forums you can troll. 
In the end it doesn't matter what Pax writes or how he does it. Tari Landar will only read the parts she feels like reading Skell Dagger will still
be judging unimportant details up from his high horse (no ide who put him there) and the rest will have a giggle. 
You people pretend to be some eloquent, upper class, elaborated inner circle, but in the end you are helping this discussion as much as the last row in class that will always do their own thing during presentation. 

So, from here you got the choice to react in different ways: 
You can be upset that I dared to point the finger at you guys. 
You can shake your head in silence. 
You can try to plug my comment apart. 
Or you can reflect your manners and get a bit more serious. 

Choose wisely.

I have never pretended to be eloquent, certainly not upper class,  and I have no clue what elaborated inner circle is even supposed to mean, lol. I'm sure there is a language barrier issue there, I'm just not sure what exactly it is, so I can't address it. 

I read more than just what I want to, I would't be able to respond if I didn't actually read the posts I respond to. 

But...I choose....E-none of the above, because one thing you, and apparently OP have yet to figure out, is that no one gets to decide who can post, what they can post, or where they can post, except LL. You don't get to tell others how they should respond to things, any more than the OP does, lol.  Perhaps if OP and all his cronies knew a lil bit about netiquette and didn't choose to take a forum post inworld, especially after being asked not to, I would have stayed silent after my post a couple of days ago. But, nope....it kept up, even got worse. So, if anything *they're doing a huge disservice to their own community. I know loads of folks in the combat community, they're not keen on being pointed out by the few that think they represent the whole, and they most definitely aren't keen on being lumped in with jerks like behave like that. It's not helping the cause any, it's only making things worse and even more difficult for the ones that DO want to post on the forums about combat, but..now, they can't..because..well....this thread, and the actions that followed. I don't think it's the posters here that lack manners, when others in the combat community have come forward to *apologize* for others' lack of manners and inability to see that they don't represent the whole, but rather, just themselves and what they want to see on the forums ;)

• Like 2

This whole thread (whether you admit it or not) was and is about forum mechanics, polices, how the forums work, how posts work, as a whole of all forums/subforms. Your initial posts here were asking why there were no other sub-forum specific to your topic of interest (which is not relevant to the body really other than vague context). That is probably why THIS thread, which was in General Discussions to begin with, was moved over to Forum Feedback , where inquires are generally discussed asto how posting processes work , efficiency of forums, and any other detail or topic in general to all the forums. But now that we have some clear answers and things can move forward (atleast from what I see) it is open enough for General Discussion. At least that is my take on it.

What is not discussed (well technically you can do whatever you want, but be aware that there might be consequences too) however, are threads asking why a moderator moved a thread, or why they took up any action really for that matter. If one wants to know or appeal a decision, those channels exist and Tommy made clear the invitation to contact him should you have questions or concerns.

In my experience, the forums have evolved and seen many forms of itself including many sub-forums and sub-groups. The one we have now is much better than the one we started off with, that is for sure.

I'm glad that you brought this angle and perspective to the  community on the other aspects of SL's usage as a platform. The numbers don't matter really even if it's only you who identifies with that belief, that is your right and I can respect that on the matter of the Combat Universe. So the knowledge you have presented is now more relevant and can give me more insight to questions I might have had unanswered otherwise.

Personally for me, after looking over the mechanics of your take on combat, I was tempted to suggest  the Educations Forum, whereas you do state you are training people in various aspects of your group.

1 minute ago, Hunter Stern said:

This whole thread (whether you admit it or not) was and is about forum mechanics, polices, how the forums work, how posts work, as a whole of all forums/subforms. Your initial posts here were asking why there were no other sub-forum specific to your topic of interest (which is not relevant to the body really other than vague context). That is probably why THIS thread, which was in General Discussions to begin with, was moved over to Forum Feedback , where inquires are generally discussed asto how posting processes work , efficiency of forums, and any other detail or topic in general to all the forums. But now that we have some clear answers and things can move forward (atleast from what I see) it is open enough for General Discussion. At least that is my take on it.

What is not discussed (well technically you can do whatever you want, but be aware that there might be consequences too) however, are threads asking why a moderator moved a thread, or why they took up any action really for that matter. If one wants to know or appeal a decision, those channels exist and Tommy made clear the invitation to contact him should you have questions or concerns.

In my experience, the forums have evolved and seen many forms of itself including many sub-forums and sub-groups. The one we have now is much better than the one we started off with, that is for sure.

I'm glad that you brought this angle and perspective to the  community on the other aspects of SL's usage as a platform. The numbers don't matter really even if it's only you who identifies with that belief, that is your right and I can respect that on the matter of the Combat Universe. So the knowledge you have presented is now more relevant and can give me more insight to questions I might have had unanswered otherwise.

Personally for me, after looking over the mechanics of your take on combat, I was tempted to suggest  the Educations Forum, whereas you do state you are training people in various aspects of your group.

I'm not arguing this thread's movement to forum discussion. it belongs here...

1 minute ago, Parx Oran said:

I'm not arguing this thread's movement to forum discussion. it belongs here...

Absolutely, sorry about that, I meant you could easily contribute Combat information or discussion in the Education forums as well as in the future. :)

20 hours ago, Grevan Snowdrop said:

Actually, I am growing a feeling that you guys are just happy you found a new topic in the forums you can troll. 
In the end it doesn't matter what Pax writes or how he does it. Tari Landar will only read the parts she feels like reading Skell Dagger will still
be judging unimportant details up from his high horse (no ide who put him there) and the rest will have a giggle. 
You people pretend to be some eloquent, upper class, elaborated inner circle, but in the end you are helping this discussion as much as the last row in class that will always do their own thing during presentation. 

So, from here you got the choice to react in different ways: 
You can be upset that I dared to point the finger at you guys. 
You can shake your head in silence. 
You can try to plug my comment apart. 
Or you can reflect your manners and get a bit more serious. 

Choose wisely.

Darn, I missed this one; didn't see it 'til Tari quoted it. I'm disappointed; you came so close to getting Bingo and then fizzled out.

You led with saying those who responded in the negative to Parx's point are trolls. That was such a strong start—hitting the standard bleat hard right from the get-go.

You went on to accuse Tari of only reading the parts she wanted. You know this how? Because she only quoted certain posts or only parts of posts? Might have been because what she quoted was what she objected to, eh? Nobody put Skell on any horses, high or otherwise. Overlooking the fact he was one of the contributors to this thread who almost went out of his way to try to suggest other methods and directions to Parx and was far kinder than most of the responders, it's true we do tend to get a giggle out a lot of his posts. Because he's smart, eloquent, and funny. Simple.

You then gave us the old "You're a clique!" cry. Again, a good solid standard bleat. In a way it's almost true; we meet some of the definitions of clique. The difference is this forum is an open circle and always has been. Newcomers are welcome.

You then righteously pointed out that you dared—dared!—to point the finger at everyone. That took some major cojones right there. You may be hunted forever by FIC Death Squads (somewhere back in this thread someone was trying to figure out what to call our so-called privileged group: have we forgotten the FIC? How can this be?).

But then, just when you'd put together a pretty good rant, hitting many if not all of the usual high spots, you biffed the landing. I'm pretty sure you might have been approaching a 10 on several cards if you'd just held form; I heard later even the Russian judge had you in the low nines. Too bad.

You left out the FLOUNCE!

ps: As for Parx: he seems like an all right guy. I think he overestimates the importance of his community to Second Life in general and I personally am getting really tired of the suggestion that residents not involved in combat sims/groups spend all their time in BDSM/RLV/Sex places (not so much from him, but from some of his fan club). As in any discussion conducted in mixed group, arguments FOR will succeed or fail on their merits, as seen by the group. Arguments AGAINST usually fall flat on their faces.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 6:35 PM, Hunter Stern said:

Absolutely, sorry about that, I meant you could easily contribute Combat information or discussion in the Education forums as well as in the future. :)

you're good m8. If education were the right place, then roleplay related posts would go in there as well. education to my knowledge is to teach people how to use certain features second life has such as meshing, scripting, etc. 

Primjumping could go in there, but the only community that practices that is the SLMC and would fit nice and snug in a Combat subforum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.