Trouble with microphone

BloodyKitty230

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone! Lately on Second Life, more so the Firestorm viewer I've been having troubles with my microphone. What I mean is when I get on SL, usually the microphone button is grayed out and I am not able to hear anyone speak. I have a yeti microphone. Usually it fixes if I re-log, but I want to try and avoid having to do that a bunch of times.

4 answers to this question

20 hours ago, BloodyKitty230 said:

usually the microphone button is grayed out and I am not able to hear anyone speak. I have a yeti microphone. Usually it fixes if I re-log, but I want to try and avoid having to do that a bunch of times.

When the microphone is greyed out and you don't have a voice dot over your head, it means that you're not connected to the voice service. Assuming you're at a place where voice is allowed, that usually means some problem with the network between you and the voice service (which is different than between you and the simulator). It often works to just disable and re-enable voice in your preferences (for voice purposes that's the same as logging out and logging back in, but is much quicker).

We have been working on voice connection issues, and have a Release Candidate viewer that has some fixes that many people have found improve reliability:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Alchemy, I get the message "Could not connect to the voice server" at startup about one time in three. I only have 6mb/s bandwidth. I suspect that the problem is network overload. When you start a viewer, there's an enormous network load as it starts up and loads all that content. After startup, load goes down.This network overload may interfere with the initial connection to the voice server.

The voice server connection code should probably do a few retries before giving up. It gives up within seconds of login, which is too soon. If this is intermittent, that's probably the problem. The developers may not be testing this on low-bandwidth connections.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.