Anybody tried this AC3D

WESTCAT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://www.independentdeveloper.com/archive/2007/09/27/sculpted_prims_from_existing_3

I have never uploaded much of anything to SL although I have lots of space rented out to do so. This AC3D, looks real interesting I have made a lot of object statues in the past, mainly space ships guns and some curvy ladies and Aliens.  Also Clowns and Super Heroes.  Anybody had success using AC3D.  

Just now, WESTCAT said:

http://www.independentdeveloper.com/archive/2007/09/27/sculpted_prims_from_existing_3

I have never uploaded much of anything to SL although I have lots of space rented out to do so. This AC3D, looks real interesting I have made a lot of object statues in the past, mainly space ships guns and some curvy ladies and Aliens.  Also Clowns and Super Heroes.  Anybody had success using AC3D.  

What my little plan is, is to create kind of a super hero villain park with Statues, maybe even some day with this new ani mesh I hear about.  

Attached is one of my FAV SL AV Clowns I bought.  I will of course be uploading my own to make my statues, if I can ever figure it out. 

Still stuck on uploading tga files, keep getting a larger than the max size allowed file, although it is well under the max at

5 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

I guess this is a more relevant page for AC3D these days.

https://www.inivis.com/secondlifemesh.html

1800  x 1800 

I thank you 

KKlown.JPG

28 minutes ago, WESTCAT said:

What my little plan is, is to create kind of a super hero villain park with Statues, maybe even some day with this new ani mesh I hear about.  

Attached is one of my FAV SL AV Clowns I bought.  I will of course be uploading my own to make my statues, if I can ever figure it out. 

Despite that it requires a license from the copyright proprietors, which are Marvel, and DC, Warner Bros., Disney and the like, to upload these super hero villains like the Joker into Second Life, there are quite a few things to know. I have written a short post a while ago to a similar broad question with a bunch of relevant links.

2 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Despite that it requires a license from the copyright proprietors, which are Marvel, and DC, Warner Bros., Disney and the like, to upload these super hero villains like the Joker into Second Life, there are quite a few things to know. I have written a short post a while ago to a similar broad question with a bunch of relevant links.

Good to know,thanks. Ya I guess the Hot ones dressing up for Comic-con as Wonder Woman etc etc could be in trouble :) .  Ya I thought that though.  Will not name them and I have invented some of my own Super heroes and Villains. 

5 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

I guess this is a more relevant page for AC3D these days.

Oh. Yet another tutorial how to upload laggy high poly meshes with laggy high pixel textures and bodged LoD models.

I don't know AC3D but generally any 3D modelling application that can export dae files should work. If you want to upload mesh to Second Life, it doesn't really matter how you make it or where you find it. The trick is to make the mesh suitable for the special requirements of SL and there are three very basic laws for that:

1. Keep the poly count down to a minimum
  2. Keep the number and resolution of the textures down to a minimum
  3. Do not rely on the bodged LoD and physics models the uploader generates, make them yourself. (And if you don't know how to make them: learn.)

Easy as that.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh. Yet another tutorial how to upload laggy high poly meshes with laggy high pixel textures and bodged LoD models.

I don't know AC3D but generally any 3D modelling application that can export dae files should work. If you want to upload mesh to Second Life, it doesn't really matter how you make it or where you find it. The trick is to make the mesh suitable for the special requirements of SL and there are three very basic laws for that:

3. Do not rely on the bodged LoD and physics models the uploader generates, make them yourself. (And if you don't know how to make them: learn.)

Easy as that.

thank you 

1 minute ago, WESTCAT said:

thank you 

58 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Easy as that.

Yes that is the same with any program employing a render engine.  I assume 2ndlife empluys basically an online rendering system, similar to a lot of online games. If I make a poser figure too complicated, like a big battle cruser or furry clown, won't work crash ad burn  

23 minutes ago, WESTCAT said:

Yes that is the same with any program employing a render engine.

Indeed. But if you have modelling experience from other environments and not Second Life, there are two special factors you need to be aware of.

One is that SL scenes tend to be far more crowded with content than games scenes and such and people still want and tend to expect the same level of performance. That means that optimization is even more important here than anywhere else. Unfortunately, the skill level of SL content creators - even those who regard themselves as professionals and make a living here - tend to be quite low compared to what you generally find in the 3D industry so most of the content is very poorly optimized.

The other factor is how SL handles level of details. Obviously, with a 15 years old game engine there's no Umbra and no tesselation or anything modern and fancy like that, it's all done with LoD models. But it's also a rather crude and primitive system of LoD models too. There are three of them and they are applied at view distances determined only by object class and bounding box size. There is no way to adjust the LoD switch points for individual items to what is actually suitable for that specific case. On top of that, the uploader includes a feature to generate those LoD models automatically and many use that because they don't know better or because they can't be bothered to make them properly. The uploader's generator is based on GLOD of all things - apparently it's even a rather sipmlistic and outdated application of GLOD. It goes without saying that not much good can ever come out of that.

Edited by ChinRey

40 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Indeed. But if you have modelling experience from other environments and not Second Life, there are two special factors you need to be aware of.

One is that SL scenes tend to be far more crowded with content than games scenes and such and people still want and tend to expect the same level of performance. That means that optimization is even more important here than anywhere else. Unfortunately, the skill level of SL content creators - even those who regard themselves as professionals and make a living here - tend to be quite low compared to what you generally find in the 3D industry so most of the content is very poorly optimized.

The other factor is how SL handles level of details. Obviously, with a 15 years old game engine there's no Umbra and no tesselation or anything modern and fancy like that, it's all done with LoD models. But it's also a rather crude and primitive system of LoD models too. There are three of them and they are applied at view distances determined only by object class and bounding box size. There is no way to adjust the LoD switch points for individual items to what is actually suitable for that specific case. On top of that, the uploader includes a feature to generate those LoD models automatically and many use that because they don't know better or because they can't be bothered to make them properly. The uploader's generator is based on GLOD of all things - apparently it's even a rather sipmlistic and outdated application of GLOD. It goes without saying that not much good can ever come out of that.

Good point do you know of any links video etc on how to optimize and what is/are the biggest way that developers mess up ?

2 hours ago, WESTCAT said:

Good point do you know of any links video etc on how to optimize

This forum is the best places.

Linden Lab's official documentation is barebones to put it mildly, often misleading and usually written in a language only programmers can understand. ;)

In addition to Arton and Aquila who ahve already replied here, look especially for posts by @Drongle McMahon .

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.