Jump to content
  • 0
WESTCAT

cannot load images larger than 2048 x 2048 error

Question

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I'm not sure why the error message says 2048 x 2048. The texture size limit for SL is 1024 x 1024.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Second_Life_Viewer_3.6

Near the bottom of the page...

Maximum texture size - 1024×1024 pixels

There is mention of a time when 2048 x 2048 images were allowed, but that's the first I've heard of it, and I've been here nearly 10 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That one's easy.  The largest size image that you are EVER allowed to upload to SL in 1024 x 1024 pixels.  All images must have pixel dimensions in powers of two ( so 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 ). If your uploaded images does not already have power of two dimensions, it will be rescaled to meet those requirements by downsizing to the next lower power of two.  That process is inefficient, so it is much smarter to do the rescaling yourself before uploading.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Textures

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That one's easy.  The largest size image that you are EVER allowed to upload to SL in 1024 x 1024 pixels.  All images must have pixel dimensions in powers of two ( so 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 ). If your uploaded images does not already have power of two dimensions, it will be rescaled to meet those requirements by downsizing to the next lower power of two.  That process is inefficient, so it is much smarter to do the rescaling yourself before uploading.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Textures

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

thank you. Now it's working surprise surprise but it does say 2048 x 2048 

interesting that it is exactly double.  But thanks resized in Gimp and off we go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I wanted to add a correction. You CAN upload a 2048x 2048 texture. I just tested that to see if it was still true. It has been true since WAY BACK when Kirsten's viewer was popular as I remember hearing about it then --- so long ago.

The texture BECOMES a 1024 x 1024 texture. 

It should also be noted that it is WAY better to resize and sharpen your texture as a 1024 then letting the uploader do that for you :D.

 

I also just uploaded a 1776 x 1776 texture with no issue. So not being a power of two wasn't the reason for the error message either. The 1776 texture was resized down to 1024 of course.

This was using Firestorm. I haven't tested in the Linden viewer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

You CAN upload a 2048x 2048 texture.

But that's a moot point because ...

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The texture BECOMES a 1024 x 1024 texture. 

So, the result in the end is a 1024 x 1024 texture.  :D  And it's not an optimized one, because you counted on the LL uploader to rescale it as part of the conversion to JPEG2000. Therefore, as we both pointed out ...

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That process is inefficient, so it is much smarter to do the rescaling yourself before uploading.

B|

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, WESTCAT said:

The largest size image that you are EVER allowed to upload to SL in 1024 x 1024 pixels.

Actually that IS your quote, but I copied from a quote of your quote LOL.

Not going to make a new post to fix that. 

 

Not arguing that uploading at 2048 is a good thing to do as I said, but YOU SAID that you were not allowed to upload larger than a 1024 x 1024 and that is incorrect. :D

Hence that had nothing to do with the problem the OP was having.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I wanted to add a correction. You CAN upload a 2048x 2048 texture. I just tested that to see if it was still true. It has been true since WAY BACK when Kirsten's viewer was popular as I remember hearing about it then --- so long ago.

The texture BECOMES a 1024 x 1024 texture. 

It should also be noted that it is WAY better to resize and sharpen your texture as a 1024 then letting the uploader do that for you :D.

 

I also just uploaded a 1776 x 1776 texture with no issue. So not being a power of two wasn't the reason for the error message either. The 1776 texture was resized down to 1024 of course.

This was using Firestorm. I haven't tested in the Linden viewer. 

 

thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, WESTCAT said:

thank you. Now it's working surprise surprise but it does say 2048 x 2048

There was a short time it was possible to upload textures up to 2048x2048. It's possible the message hasn't been updated since then. Or it may mean the uploader won't accept larger images than that even if it rescales it. You still shouldn't get it with a 1776 of course but as othrs have said, it's much better to rescale before you upload anyway.

There are still a few 2048s around. I've tried using them myself and believe me, blocking them again was one of the best decisions Linden Lab ever made. They are lag monsters each and every one of them. Combined with the reckless abuse of bloated textures we see in Second Life, they may well have been enough to kill SL stone dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...