Firestorm and anyof the SL browsers fail to start after updating NVIDIA graphics

VirtualKitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After installing the latest video drivers everything was working well until I tried to install  Blender. This installed an booted up ok. Then when I quit and tried to start Firestorm and got the famously useless message: Secondlife is unable to run because your video card drivers did not start up properly, out of date, or are unsupported hardware Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers. This was not a problem until .i tried to install this wretched software. I have Geforce video drivers 3.8133 my card and system was working fine before I installed Blender. How do I fix this please?

2 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, VirtualKitten said:

This was not a problem until .i tried to install this wretched software.

I'm not sure which software is the "wretched" one (Blender, Firestorm, or your NVidia graphics), but the answer is probably in this Knowledge Base note regarding graphics card issues:

Note about NVIDIA drivers

NVIDIA graphics cards may cause driver-related problems. After installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, the Second Life® Viewer may crash with an error message that states: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware." This appears to be a problem with the NVIDIA drivers' initial installation: the first time the install process is run, something fails silently — a file or set of files doesn't copy properly, but the installer doesn't give you any notice that something went wrong.

There is a solution: ensure that all of your applications are closed, and install the NVIDIA drivers again. For some reason, the drivers almost always install correctly the second time.

If these steps do not solve your problem, please see NVIDIA's Driver Installation Hints.

"

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.