Jump to content

Email Subscriptions and Updates to Posts


Darrius Gothly
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I like that we can optionally (or by default) get an email every time someone posts to a specific Topic Thread. But does anyone know how to turn OFF the emails every time they EDIT their post? It's good getting the initial notification, but sometimes folks edit their posts 3, 4, 5, 279 times .. and Lithium sends out an email for each of those too.

OUCH!

Am I just missing the option to turn email off for each update/edit? Or does it not exist?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I getting email updates every time someone edits their post? I haven't noticed that. I'll have to start paying better attention.

However, as long as we're on the subject of email notifications, I have some requests. I know at least the first request has previously been mentioned here in the Community Feedback forum, but I'm going to repeat it.

Request #1: Please put the post author in the "From" field of the email notification, the way it was in Jive. I hate seeing every email from every poster on every topic as being from "Community Mailer." If I'm scanning my email looking for a specific post, it's almost impossible to find now without opening every post related to that thread.

Request #2: Can we make the thread title a little more prominent in the "Subject" field? For every email notification, the subject line starts with "Second Life Subscription: 1 Update:". That takes up a lot of space. When I'm checking email on a small screen (my iPhone), I can't tell which thread the notification is for until I open the email. It's minor, but I find it a little frustrating.

Request #3: Can notifications for forum private messages include the body of the message in the email, or at the very least tell me who the private message is from?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehe :) I'm one of those who often edit their posts five times or more. After I fixed a typo, I notice that I could have worded something differently or might want to add something for clarification. I figure if it shows [Edited] anyway, why not edit it again? And again, and again... :)

I've never enabled the email notification in this forum. It was a nightmare in the old Jive forum until I found a way to disable it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Quinn Morani wrote:

Am I getting email updates every time someone edits their post? I haven't noticed that. I'll have to start paying better attention.

However, as long as we're on the subject of email notifications, I have some requests. I know at least the first request has previously been mentioned here in the Community Feedback forum, but I'm going to repeat it.

Request #1: Please put the post author in the "From" field of the email notification, the way it was in Jive. I hate seeing every email from every poster on every topic as being from "Community Mailer." If I'm scanning my email looking for a specific post, it's almost impossible to find now without opening every post related to that thread.

Request #2: Can we make the thread title a little more prominent in the "Subject" field? For every email notification, the subject line starts with "Second Life Subscription: 1 Update:". That takes up a lot of space. When I'm checking email on a small screen (my iPhone), I can't tell which thread the notification is for until I open the email. It's minor, but I find it a little frustrating.

Request #3: Can notifications for forum private messages include the body of the message in the email, or at the very least tell me who the private message is from?

 

Request 1 & 2 - Those are not items I see available for change right now.  I can follow up and see what is possible.  :smileyhappy:

Request 3 - Yes, you can change that in "My settings" so it includes the body of the message too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Hehe
:)
I'm one of those who often edit their posts five times or more. After I fixed a typo, I notice that I could have worded something differently or might want to add something for clarification. I figure if it shows [Edited] anyway, why not edit it again? And again, and again...
:)

I've never enabled the email notification in this forum. It was a nightmare in the old Jive forum until I found a way to disable it.

I am guilty of this too  :smileytongue:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Lexie Linden wrote:

 

Quinn Morani wrote:

Am I getting email updates every time someone edits their post? I haven't noticed that. I'll have to start paying better attention.

However, as long as we're on the subject of email notifications, I have some requests. I know at least the first request has previously been mentioned here in the Community Feedback forum, but I'm going to repeat it.

Request #1: Please put the post author in the "From" field of the email notification, the way it was in Jive. I hate seeing every email from every poster on every topic as being from "Community Mailer." If I'm scanning my email looking for a specific post, it's almost impossible to find now without opening every post related to that thread.

Request #2: Can we make the thread title a little more prominent in the "Subject" field? For every email notification, the subject line starts with "Second Life Subscription: 1 Update:". That takes up a lot of space. When I'm checking email on a small screen (my iPhone), I can't tell which thread the notification is for until I open the email. It's minor, but I find it a little frustrating.

Request #3: Can notifications for forum private messages include the body of the message in the email, or at the very least tell me who the private message is from?

 

Request 1 & 2 - Those are not items I see available for change right now.  I can follow up and see what is possible.  :smileyhappy:

Request 3 - Yes, you can change that in "My settings" so it incules the body of the message too. 

 

Unfortunately the option to include the body of the message in subscription notification emails does not apply to the emails sent for Private Messages. I just double-checked and didn't see it, but I am male so it might just be "male blindness".

Request #2 (Thread Title More prominent in Email Subject) should be an easy fix .. if you can just get them to change the email template to remove all the extra repetitive boohaa before it. They now read like:

Second Life Subscription: 1 Update: Re: Email Subscriptions and Updates to Posts

So if they could at least take off the "Second Life Subscription: 1 Update" for those that select the "email per update" option, it would help a lot and look like:

Re: Email Subscriptions and Updates to Posts

Or maybe even move it to the end so it looks like this:

Re: Email Subscriptions and Updates to Posts - Second Life Subscription: 1 Update

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 

Unfortunately the option to include the body of the message in subscription notification emails does not apply to the emails sent for Private Messages. I just double-checked and didn't see it, but I am male so it might just be "male blindness".

 

Thanks, Darrius. That's exactly it. On emails for thread posts I get the full body. It's only in private messages that I can't figure out how to get the same. If an option for it is there, then I think the blindness toward it must affect males and females equally, because I also double-checked and I can't find it, either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Quinn Morani wrote:


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 

Unfortunately the option to include the body of the message in subscription notification emails does not apply to the emails sent for Private Messages. I just double-checked and didn't see it, but I am male so it might just be "male blindness".

 

Thanks, Darrius. That's exactly it. On emails for thread posts I get the full body. It's only in private messages that I can't figure out how to get the same. If an option for it is there, then I think the blindness toward it must affect males and females equally, because I also double-checked and I can't find it, either.

You are right, I do not see an option related to PMs either.  :(    I will do some research. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...