Changed graphics settings, now can't log in.

Lea Voix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks,

I was trying to take some better quality SL photo's and changed my antialias setting from default to 8x

It said it needed a viewer restart , so I signed out and attempted to sign in again. But it doesnt get  past intialising the initializing vfs before I get the Secondlife Crash logger notification. 

I'm assuming my computer just can't handle the higher end anitlalias, highly likely as I can only use SL normally in basic settings and just change the graphics slider to full for pics. (havent changed the antialias and relogged before!)

So now I am wondering how I am to get back in? I tried uninstalling the veiwer and redownloading/installing, but it didnt help. 

I'm using veiwer2(I think thats what it is called!) if that is any help.

Appreciate any suggestions

Cheers,

Lea

Hello, Lea, welcome to the Second Life forums.  I did the same thing myself once and panicked!

However, you can fix this easily by bringing your login screen up, but don't log in just yet.

Instead, click on "edit" ("me" on Viewer 2) at the top of the login screen, and go back into "preferences", "graphics" and change the hardware options back to what it was before (mine is on "disable")

Probably other people will be able to add more to this thread about how you can change your graphics settings more successfully, but this should get you back inworld.

Thanks Marigold, for the advice and the welcome.

Sadly I can't even get to the log in screen. I only get as far as the tiny little rectangle that says its initialising things, textures ect, when it gets to vps it dissappears and the crash box pops up.

The good news is! I downloaded a different veiwer (pheonix) and I had no trouble getting in with it.

So problem solved sort of, just can't use veiwer 2! 

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

Lea

navigate to your user settings folder and delete the file "settings.xml", then try again. if that fails, go back, delete it again (may need to refresh the view), and then go to the subfolder with your SL account name and delete the file "user_settings.xml" also (deleting the second one may throw you back to basic mode).

make sure to check and reset all your preferences when you get back on.

• 2 months later...

OMG! This is the same problem I am having and have talked on the phone with LL for 2 hours they seem to have no clue what happened.  It does alright if I manually reset my Graphics Accelerator every time but always rolls back to the 8-bit. I will sure try and do the delete on the xml file and maybe that will work for me if not I guess I am stuck with the phoenix for now

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.