Face/Material Problem

Memo Opaque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have afew meshes. And those meshes have different materials on different faces like....a clock with metal material on case faces and glass material on glass faces. I join those meshes in Blender and upload to SL. But SL sees it as if one face/material. I want to make glass face transparent, but i can not select it separately since SL sees it as one face. All mesh goes transparent. What may cause it ? I joined different meshes with different materials in Blender and uploaded to SL before this happens for the first time.

The limit is 8 materials per mesh. You can upload meshes with more than 8 materials though, but the importer will split the mesh into multiple meshes automatically, with no more than 8 materials per mesh again.

There are  (, or used fo be) a couple of other things which are messing up materials. The triangle limit per material, or truncated material names.

Edited by arton Rotaru

Hmm...i had 3 books with one material, clock with 3 materials, glasses with 2 materials and candle with one material. (Candle was alittle sculpted, though. So it had many faces...like more than 5k). I joined them and uploaded to SL. I baked books on one texture and rest on another. I put books' texture and there was no problem. Rest was still white(default). Then i applied clock's texture, but it was applied to all rest. Then i uploaded books with clock and rest separately. Still Books worked as they supposed to but clock. After that, i uploaded books and rest separately. Then all worked as they were supposed to. So everytime the meshes, which uploaded with books, worked as if one face while books worked normal. I guess something was wrong with books.

Sounds like a problem with the materials names. If the names of multiple materials end up with the same name after importing, they will act like one material. This can happen when the importer truncates material names at certain special characters. So it's best to just use very simple names for materials, and make sure there are no duplicste names in Blender to begin with.

Could be something else though, you never know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.