anyone bought a new i7-8700K 3.7GHz (Coffee Lake) ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As the title says, I have been thinking about buying a new pc setup with a  i7-8700K 3.7GHz (Coffee Lake), though its going to cost a bit with a new MB and memory as well, at the moment I have a good MB with a i7 4790K thats a 4 gig cpu and from my experience of SL etc it would prob be a nano second faster in real terms, the cpu alone in the UK cost about £430. So i would be interested if anyone has one and what they think?

This is what I was maybe thinking of buying:-

i7-8700K 3.7GHz

Gigabyete Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Intel Z370

Memory not sure yet.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

I like GamersNexus Phoebe if you want to look here.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking

Then there is this thread if you want to have a look from users.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1639998/i7-8700k-overclock-results-and-settings#post_26392181

You gonna OC it? Delid? Note the comment on GamersNexus about the Gigabyte MB, not the one you specify but something to investigate. Might want to check MB VRM temps across manufacturers as well as some need direct cooling.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

23 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

I like GamersNexus Phoebe if you want to look here.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking

Then there is this thread if you want to have a look from users.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1639998/i7-8700k-overclock-results-and-settings#post_26392181

You gonna OC it? Delid? Note the comment on GamersNexus about the Gigabyte MB, not the one you specify but something to investigate. Might want to check MB VRM temps across manufacturers as well as some need direct cooling.

Main reason for that MB is the sound chip is very good only other board has it and its a much more expensive Ausus MB, I do like Gigabyete MB's been using them for years. At the moment I do have a Asus top of the line sound card so its its so so ^^

From what i have read its a good cpu to overclock many people getting an easy 5 gig with water cooling though I am not to worried about that, I like stock if it works  well.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

Your performance benefit is going to be minimal for SL. Because SL doesnt really take advantage of multiple cores that well, you're not gonna see the benefits of 6 cores over 4

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2275&cmp[]=2565&cmp[]=3098Untitled.png.39b59b126e2a78484392b76d21960f40.png

Note the extremely similar single thread rating. The 8700k's big score boost is that it has two more cores, but not much of anything else.

Your best bet for a performance upgrade is an overclock if you havent already.

I would not suggest upgrade to coffee lake, its a dead end platform. Intels next big thing is supposedly going to be a 10nm process, and whatever new processors are made in 10nm will not physically work in Z370 LGA 1151 boards.

Even if they did release yet another skew on the same architecture as Coffee Lake in the future, the performance benefit of going from the 8700k to whatever the new top end would be, would also be incredibly minimal.

I suggest looking into AMD Ryzen 7 series stuff if you want things like DDR4 memory and more pcie lanes, m.2 and all that. That has a bit more of a future with Zen2 intended to be released on AM4 and work with existing X370 chipsets.

Also the term is Ghz, not gig. Gig refers to gigabytes for memory, Ghz is giga-hertz, a measurement of clock speed.

had to double check the 'nickname' of processor 100 times and it did not stop being funny - i never seen those (my laptop apparently has 'kaby' which is not as amusing). 

sl is finicky and cosmetics won't change if your gpu can load ultra and not burn your town - upgrades can make top notch settings synced faster but it still is partially internet related. black dragon is most flexible when it comes to gpu while firestorm and alchemy are meant to be more balanced. it's all just blind luck really.

i guess, i'll tell you op as i just got this processor and mainboard but that'll take a while as rewriting windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installer lol. 

same as linked tester above - have it with gtx 1080 (not ti) but 2666 mhz ddr4 ram (32gb). wouldn't really recommend it this set up for sl as it really needs proper cooling - wouldn't do much for it (i think, as usb 3.0 drivers keep me awake tonight) and would be wasting money. it'd be useful if you do mesh work though. otherwise, i'd stick with previous i7, 1050 or 1060 gtx, asus or gigabyte mainboard that's newish and fast 16gb ram (over 2mhz but look at mainboard recommendations). can't say anything on amd as never worked with their hardware which is embarassing enough.

(still laughing at coffee thing)

ps. didn't read whole thread but might be useful to those making purchase decisions: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/8packs-no-bs-testing-intel-8700k-and-z370-with-delid-5ghz-and-above-available-from-ocuk.18795256/

ps 2. poster above is right on i7 being overdue an upgrade, same as amd's models but part market got inflated with ethereum resellers so if you can pull through that - wait. my main rendering pc died, otherwise would not bother and my first gen i7 lasted 4 years without any performance loss (short, i know - it died with motherboard and it's a total tech murder mystery. going to have old pc researched by people as same strange errors resulting in component deadness plagued me and others in october / november).

Edited by acedacid
added uk overclockers forum link plus some price and hardware meta

I always find series names fun. Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Broadwell, Haswell, that weird Devils Canyon thing, Skylake, Kaby lake, Coffee lake, up next is Ice Lake i think?

AMD is weirder, they name everything after construction equipment. Piledriver, Bulldozer, etc. Except for the odd random offshoots that dont get those names, like the APU's, such as my athlon 5350 which is "kabini".

Their graphics cards get a whole load of weird naming schemes too, scroll down to Features Overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

To tl;dr my previous post. 8700k isnt worth it, there is no future upgrade plan on z370, wait for the next generation or buy into AM4 now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i come back with verdict on sl and it's less choppy when you need to take a hd photo with all options on. not sure if it's not more due to gpu but didn't run detailed benchmarks. other combinations would probably get you a boost as well - old pc pre-broken one had ran sl much better then the dead one even if it was dual core intel, 4gb ram and nvidia 9400 gt. 

another thing - if you go with this mainboard - it doesn't support windows 7 at all. tried all user scripts, custom installations and hell, written my own but no. currently running custom windows 10 one which i made work almost like 7 but it still's not ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgrade to a i7 8700k, I do see a performance boost but I think its more so from the 1080ti than the actual i7-8700k,  If sl was the main focus I would say it wasnt worth it.

But since I do things in VR it does help to make sure that the CPU is not bottle necked.

On 18/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, cykarushb said:

I always find series names fun. Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Broadwell, Haswell, that weird Devils Canyon thing, Skylake, Kaby lake, Coffee lake, up next is Ice Lake i think?

Me too!

While Debian's is very boring (random toy story like Jessie), and Ubuntu's can be fun (Current is Artful Ardvark, next is Bionic Beaver) I like Android's sweet treat names the most.

Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, FroYo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Icecream Sandwicg, Jellybean, Kit Kat, Lollypop, Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo.

My bet is Parfait for 2018.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.