FoxyNatalieWn

How much does Premium account cost?

Question

Hi I read online that a premium account costs $9.95 (or something like that) a month is this correct? Also, is this the same for wherever you are in the world I guess convert the money? Is there anymore hidden costs... for example if I sign up for premium when does the premium account end is it after a year? And then do I have a choice whether I want to renew it? Thanks.

7 answers to this question

The rates are listed here in US dollars, and apply wherever you are in the world. Your membership is renewed (and you are charged) automatically unless you request cancellation before the renewal date. There are no other costs.

• Like 2

I should correct a couple of errors and mis-statements.

Premium membership is available on a monthly, a quarterly, or an annual plan.  Monthly, the cost is $9.50 USD.  Quarterly, it's $22.50, and annually it is $72.00.  The annual plan is the best buy, but I do not recommend it to first-time users...because if you decide a month or two in that you no longer want to be Premium, you cannot get a refund for unused time.

While Linden Lab does not charge any other fees, there MAY be additional charges.  If you live outside the USA, your credit card company will charge a currency conversion fee.  Also, many countries charge a Value Added Tax (VAT), and if you have that where you live, it will apply.

Premium membership confers a number of benefits.  Perhaps the two most valuable are the $L300 per week "stipend" payment and the ability to own a free Linden Home or get free tier on up to 512 square meters of Mainland that you buy.  One benefit that confuses a lot of people is the one time $L1,000 bonus payment...this is NOT paid when you sign up for a Premium membership.  It is paid to you after you have been a Premium member for 45 continuous days.  Be sure to read about all the Premium benefits in the article link that Rolig posted, then decide if Premium is right for you!

• Like 1

Lindal gave a good summary of the Premium costs and plans.

There are various benefits to Premium Membership in addition to what she mentioned. I especially like the increased access... regions are limited to a maximum number of avatars. The limit varies based on the type of region (which is about the server hosting the region) from 20 to 50 avatars with 40 being common. The Lab is working to increases that number. This past year they increased it by 10%+/-. Along with the increases they gave Premium Members additional access. So, if a region is full at 40 the region will allow in 5 additional Premium Members pushing the max population to 45. For those of us enjoying 'events' this is great.

Just this month they extended the access to 'transactions' to 90 days from 32(?). For merchants and others this is a handy thing.

From time to time you get free stuff too. It is usually sort of corny but often fun.

Plus there are sandboxes for Premium Members only. If you start building things you'll use the sandboxes. Then you find out what a pain the public sandboxes can be. The members sand boxes are way nicer to use.

The weekly L$300 stipend and L$1,000 signing bonus returns 52x300 + 1000 = L$16,600 or about US$64 dollars. So, the annual subscription is WAY cheap.

Hidden Costs... There are some costs we haven't talked about. But, all those costs are optional. If you want more L$ to spend, you can buy them or work for them or sell stuff. That is a choice. If you make L$ and want to convert it to your local RL currency (US$ in my case), you can and there is a fee.

My biggest not so hidden cost is clothes... OH! and shoes!

As others said, it depends on what you want out of SL. If you go with the annual option then with the Premium Membership you get the land or Linden Home plus the other things mentioned like better access to certain venues. You also get $300L a week or $15,600L for the year which currently equals $62.40usd.

$72usd/yr minus $62.40usd/stidend means you basically end up paying only $8.11usd for the benefits. IMO not a bad deal!

Plus if this is the first time this avatar has had a Premium Membership you get a $1,000L bonus after a few weeks, so that lowers it even more to about $4usd a year.

1 hour ago, Juerg Molko said:

Plus if this is the first time this avatar has had a Premium Membership you get a $1,000L bonus after a few weeks

Just to clarify this part, since we sometimes get people coming to the forums to complain that they haven't received their bonus yet -- you get it after 45 days of Premium membership.

And as as noted, it is only given the first time an account becomes Premium.  Due to that, I've actually considered retiring a few of my Premium alts that I use for my land group and creating new ones - just to get the bonus again.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell