Abusive content/group/sims in Second Life

AshaShanti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

What is there to discuss, exactly? Almost any potential angle of discussion that could be spun off of this has been done to death already.

Well, one thing that came to mind was how the 500 members probably don't represent 500 individuals. I wouldn't want to guess how many different people are involved, but I would be surprised if there weren't a few who had multiple accounts.

Do you think that's not worth mentioning?

1 minute ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Well, one thing that came to mind was how the 500 members probably don't represent 500 individuals. I wouldn't want to guess how many different people are involved, but I would be surprised if there weren't a few who had multiple accounts.

Do you think that's not worth mentioning?

Not really, no.

It would not matter if the group size is five hundred individuals, five hundred accounts with a few repeats or even some significantly higher number being substituted in.

There are groups within SL for less extreme activities whose memberships range both higher and lower than the five hundred cited for this particular group whose membership likely contains alternate accounts for many users. At the end of the day those numbers are just as meaningless.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AshaShanti said:

Ok lol I rest my case. 

This is one brutal place - this forum. My first and last post here. 

you all have a great day

This is a very tame forum. As soon as someone gets brutal, the mods lock the thread, delete posts and hand out warnings and suspensions.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
deleted one letter
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, AshaShanti said:

The question is - do we ignore abuse - or just pass by.

This is very different from who is kissing who or who wears a veil or not.

As I said - I have not worried about any other content before in SL. I did expect that people would simply say - just ignore and don't go there ( which obviously I will do ) - I guess you need to be more community conscious for this to be a deeper convo.

Anyway I put it out there. 

Why not?

4 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It mattered to the OP. That's enough for it to be a valid point to raise in her thread.

Bolded section: And?

It was already pointed out that the number of members in the group has no real meaning pursuant to any "point" raised by the OP. It has also been pointed out that nearly every single potential avenue for discussion that could be spun off in this thread has been covered to death in other threads on this and prior iterations of the official forum.

Considering the first part of the above it would be reasonable to conclude that the number of members that represent a single user on more than one account would be just as meaningless.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

nobody told you to go away on the forum, but stop visiting those places.

A single user had an extreme reaction and did indeed tell the OP to go away.

That the OP focuses in on that and has allowed it to color further responses as well is rather telling.

• Like 3

Everyone wants to take a deep breath?

@Asha
Dont let Annas response affect you too much. You have your opinions, she has hers. Even though she could have chosen better words.
So stay away from those sims and groups. I also find it creepy, but there is not a lot you can do about... just ignore it.

• Like 2

Just now, AshaShanti said:

Solar you seem to have a problem with me lol - can't you be a bit nicer - it is not like I attacked you in any way. 

I did not say that I am not appreciating all the input. and I said thanks to all those that took time to reply. 

This is also quite telling: I have no problem whatsoever with you and would rather appreciate it if you'd cease pretending that anyone here outside of the initial responder is being in any way unkind or "brutal" in their responses thus far.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

You are equating the act of role play with glorification and normalization of the real world equivalent.

Everything takes place in the mind. Whether it's an actual act in RL, an imagination in RL, or a simulation in SL, it's in the RL person's mind, and that is disturbing. It could be argued that simulating it relieves the RL impulse and prevents it from happening in RL. It could also be argued that simulating it could fuel the impulse, leading to doing it in RL. The people simulating such acts may be doing it just for a laugh, or they may truly want to actually do such things. There are many realities concerning it.

On the whole, I agree with the OP that such things ought not to be allowed in SL, whether or not it's just for a laugh. They are evil.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Solar on a second pot of coffee when he/she is taking issue with as much as possible? Such fun! :SwingingFriends:

Your quoted response here aside Bitsy about the only things I have actually taken issue with in this thread are the OPs comments regarding glorification and the OPs belief that the majority of responses given thus far have been anything even remotely resembling brutal or even simply unkind/not nice.

The former of those I take issue with expressly because of the prevalence of such a mindset in those that seek to censor games, books and other media as well as the prevalence of that mindset in those who equate any form of role play at all with the actual act being depicted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Everything takes place in the mind. Whether it's an actual act in RL, an imagination in RL, or a simulation in SL, it's in the RL person's mind, and that is disturbing. It could be argued that simulating it relieves the RL impulse and prevents it from happening in RL. It could also be argued that simulating it could fuel the impulse, leading to doing it in RL. The people simulating such acts may be doing it just for a laugh, or they may truly want to actually do such things. There are many realities concerning it.

On the whole, I agree with the OP that such things ought not to be allowed in SL, whether or not it's just for a laugh. They are evil.

I agree with the majority of this, Phil.

I do not agree however that the simple act of playing out an act (be it role play, a video game or similar) is a glorification or normalization of said act.

As far as "evil" goes there are plenty of things that occur within SL that I find personally objectionable and yes the type of play mentioned by the OP is among them. I'll avoid places that cater to such things like the plague.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AshaShanti said:

I have been in SL for 10 years running various creative projects and communities, and in RL I have been running a non profit for 10 years as well

So... A typical "Concerned Citizen" who SELF APPOINTS themselves as an amateur hobbiest social worker wannabe, to do all the things governments should do but won't because, you voted for a government that won't do those things...

I have come across this group and full sim dedicated to

You went out looking for something to be shocked about, so you can start a petition, orgaise a protest group, self appoint your self as chair-person of the action committee, etc., etc., etc. Neighbourhood Snitch schemes abound...

I am aware how a project can influence the minds and hearts of people and all those that decide to create a sim, project, group of any sort should be aware of their responsibilities and the influence they have on the minds of their members.

Like most of your ilk, you assume your knowledge of the voodoo pseudo science of amateur psychology allows you to correctly decide what causes people to do thigs, and as is also usual, you get it ass-backwards...

People don't join a Homicidal Sociopath club because they are NORMAL, and then gradually alter because the club influences them, they join because they are Homicidal Sociopaths...

Breaking news... People killed each other before video games were invented, before live new footage of crime, before movies, before books... You personal crusade to ban all the things you falsely blame for "the evils of the world" will always frail because you cant ban people from being ... People...

I guess you need to be more community conscious for this to be a deeper convo.

YOUR definition of "Community Minded", based on YOUR definition of "Community", which as is usual for your ilk, means a community where YOU are chair-person of the committee to tell everyone else what to do.

2 hours ago, AshaShanti said:

This is one brutal place - this forum. My first and last post here.

I doubt your sincerity, call it my natural cynicism...

1 hour ago, AshaShanti said:

I could have just kept quiet - but decided I would have to make this point - and got my answers.

Oh look, I was right... Again...

You had to make this point? Why? You already admitted you KNEW what the answers would be...

I did expect that people would simply say - just ignore and don't go there

So, you HAD to make the point not because you didn't know how we'd react, but because you HAD to try and force everyone to abide by YOUR Community Definition, and YOUR self appointed committee decisions.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.