Abusive content/group/sims in Second Life

AshaShanti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, 

I have come across this group and full sim dedicated to : "watch her die as you *****". 

I am totally shocked that there are people out there that would find this fun and entertaining. In RL this would be considered seriously sick and unacceptable. Should this be considered as mere "roleplay" and be accepted. The group already has 500 members - it is saddening to know that someone ( actually at least 500 members ) glorifies suffering this way. People often tend to join groups without thinking at all what it is about - the more members this group has the more "normal" it becomes to consider this entertainment and fun. 

I have been in SL for 10 years running various creative projects and communities, and in RL I have been running a non profit for 10 years as well - I am aware how a project can influence the minds and hearts of people and all those that decide to create a sim, project, group of any sort should be aware of their responsibilities and the influence they have on the minds of their members. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, AshaShanti said:

I have come across this group and full sim dedicated to :

So don't go there.  Better still, go away.

There's only one kind of person I really can't stand, the kind who tell me that I can't do something THEY find obnoxious.  Like kissing another girl in public, or not wearing a veil, or not being allowed to wear a veil if I want to, or not being allowed out without a male relative..... sheesh!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The question is - do we ignore abuse - or just pass by.

This is very different from who is kissing who or who wears a veil or not.

As I said - I have not worried about any other content before in SL. I did expect that people would simply say - just ignore and don't go there ( which obviously I will do ) - I guess you need to be more community conscious for this to be a deeper convo.

Anyway I put it out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshaShanti said:

Hi all, 

I have come across this group and full sim dedicated to : "watch her die as you *****". 

uh huh, how did you find this place and group?  What were you looking for?

I am totally shocked that there are people out there that would find this fun and entertaining.

fair enough

In RL this would be considered seriously sick and unacceptable.

But this is not RL.

Should this be considered as mere "roleplay" and be accepted.

Yes, because that's all it is.

The group already has 500 members

That's irrelevant

- it is saddening to know that someone ( actually at least 500 members ) glorifies suffering this way.

People are kinky and weird; welcome to the world.

People often tend to join groups without thinking at all what it is about

Do they?  Proof?

- the more members this group has the more "normal" it becomes to consider this entertainment and fun. 

500 is a pretty small group in sl, and you should provide something to back up this claim.

I have been in SL for 10 years running various creative projects and communities, and in RL I have been running a non profit for 10 years as well

That's admirable, but also irrelevant.

- I am aware how a project can influence the minds and hearts of people and all those that decide to create a sim, project, group of any sort should be aware of their responsibilities and the influence they have on the minds of their members. 

This isn't 'a project'.  It's a kink group, and safe to assume that anyone joining knows what it is and anyway, they can leave if they lose interest or don't like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AshaShanti said:

Ok lol I rest my case. 

This is one brutal place - this forum. My first and last post here. 

you all have a great day

This forum, brutal? Not by a long shot. Brutal is down the street and around the corner from the BDSM Dungeon.

What case exactly are you resting? You started a topic concerning a group you found personally distasteful, tried to bring real life sensibilities into it and claimed to have been an SL user for the last ten years - all in your opening post.

I'd avoided touching that last bit for a reason but it seems as if it does actually need to be touched upon: Unless you have been pointedly staying away from each iteration of the official forum for the last ten years then you already knew or had some idea as to how this thread would be received.

• Like 3

"watch her die as you *****". 

You should likely stay away from the sims and groups related to canabalism then. 

I am totally shocked that there are people out there that would find this fun and entertaining. In RL this would be considered seriously sick and unacceptable.

Welcome to reality. It's not however real life, it's a place for people to enjoy their fantasies. Kill em, cook em, eat em, as long as they are over 18.

I have been in SL for 10 years

I am shocked you have been in SL almost as long as me and don't know how depraved people can be!

pro tip, just ignore it, don't join the group and stay away from snuff and dolcett sims.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AshaShanti said:

I was merely trying to discuss this - but as you guys say - I must just go away.

nobody here said you have to go away, and discussion is totally welcome, just come with a real point to discuss, but you already put down your statement in your posts, what's to discuss?

And you send private messages... that's no discussion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Guys, this really can be a rough place for those who have a different opinion on something. Couldn't this have been discussed instead of being smashed down so completely?

What is there to discuss, exactly? Almost any potential angle of discussion that could be spun off of this has been done to death already.

Well how about this : 

"So don't go there.  Better still, go away." just scroll up to see it. 

Anyways mine is but one out of the billions of voices. Still I am sad that people glorify hanging, beheading, cooking, and killing people in the most horrific ways - even if it is within a game - given especially today's world. This is merely my opinion like it or not. 

That is all I had to say about this. I could have just kept quiet - but decided I would have to make this point - and got my answers. Thanks all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshaShanti said:

Still I am sad that people glorify hanging, beheading, cooking, and killing people in the most horrific ways - even if it is within a game - given especially today's world. This is merely my opinion like it or not. 

You are welcome to your opinion. And you will get comments in return that humanity is sick, twisted, warped and full of perversion and hatred.

For those who are not grotesque enough to participate in those groups, we stay away and nurture our own goodness.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, AshaShanti said:

Well how about this : 

"So don't go there.  Better still, go away." just scroll up to see it. 

Anyways mine is but one out of the billions of voices. Still I am sad that people glorify hanging, beheading, cooking, and killing people in the most horrific ways - even if it is within a game - given especially today's world. This is merely my opinion like it or not. 

That is all I had to say about this. I could have just kept quiet - but decided I would have to make this point - and got my answers. Thanks all.

One person reacts in an extreme manner to your post and you act as though such is the view of those who follow.

Welcome to a forum on the internet, some are going to react rather strongly to what you type, best get used to it.

That out of the way: By your logic anyone role playing a kidnapping, a rape or even just petty theft is "glorifying" such acts and that's using three different, milder by comparison examples.

I've seen that sort of "logic" before and frankly such thinking disturbs me far more greatly than even the most twisted role play out there.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AshaShanti said:

Solar - you have not seen me write about theft or even rape correct? My message was only about this specific kink - I could have then complained about stuff every day all these years - but I didn't and I don't. 

Way to miss the entire point: You are equating the act of role play with glorification and normalization of the real world equivalent. Writing about any other act is not required whatsoever for one to see the problem associated with that type of thinking.

Though I will give you some points for the dodge attempt.

Edited by Solar Legion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.