WIN10 Mixed Reality ie MR or VR in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just searched here and no results....soooooo

I have been watching recently new reviews (YouTube) on Windows Mixed Reality and the new headsets being developed and now sold for this.... Can anyone from Linden Lab advise   what they may be doing etc...to enable this in Second Life....one has a field of view of about 210 degrees!!    very immersive... which means a much more engaging and immersive experience in Second Life...

The headsets are much cheaper than Oculus etc and only require one    lead attached to your PC... Headtracking is done off the headset itself using two vid-cams built in to "see" te hand held controllers....they have two screens etc....

It appears to offer a free walk around 3D type experience which would be a big leap forward for SL in my view and is what I have been hoping to see SL move up to and into....

I would really appreciate a heads up from Linden Labs on this especially with their recently announced big improvements etc for Second Life....   Regards Wirimu Dale (SL) 

• Like 1

FPS is the biggest issue with these type of devices,  SL has users still running SL with equipment that is 5 to 6 years old, they will not got the 60+ fps required to run the devices, it's why the current VR units are not implemented within SL.   Those of us whom can get 70+fps in croweded areas is rare, I'm built fully for VR.

to elaborate more on what bigmoe said, its not that SL's user arent running powerful PC's, its that VR is not a pleasant experience at under 120fps

you get motion sickness super fast at even 60fps, and even the toppest of top tier PC's generally struggle to get over that in SL

my girlfriend/roommate has a PC that makes mine look like a relic from 1987, and i own a relic PC from 1987, but that thing is packing high end render hardware and whats currently a top of the line workstation CPU, and at the best in places like social island she can maybe push 140fps

in very crowded areas or complex sims she drops to 70-90, and with any kind of VR headset that wouldnt be pleasant at all

you can use almost any VR headset in a similar mode to how mouse movement works, meaning if you were in first person in SL your head rotation would be like rotating in SL, and im sure you could bind the controllers to movement keys and everything

Edited by cykarushb

I think the future is going to be AR (augmented Reality) not VR. LL might’ve backed the wrong pony on that one.

I’ve been leery of VR since I was a little girl. Back in the day, Nintendo came out with Virtual Boy. I know it probably wasn’t true virtual reality, but I was about 10 or 11 when it came out. I got to play with it for about an hour. It gave me the worst headache I ever had in my life. I never forgot that, it was the first migraine I ever had.

People are aware of VR’s limitation. Until it overcomes the motion sickness and headaches,   I’d feel much more comfortable with something like AR.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:50 PM, Wirimu Dale said:

Just searched here and no results....soooooo

I have been watching recently new reviews (YouTube) on Windows Mixed Reality and the new headsets being developed and now sold for this.... Can anyone from Linden Lab advise   what they may be doing etc...to enable this in Second Life....one has a field of view of about 210 degrees!!    very immersive... which means a much more engaging and immersive experience in Second Life...

The headsets are much cheaper than Oculus etc and only require one    lead attached to your PC... Headtracking is done off the headset itself using two vid-cams built in to "see" te hand held controllers....they have two screens etc....

It appears to offer a free walk around 3D type experience which would be a big leap forward for SL in my view and is what I have been hoping to see SL move up to and into....

I would really appreciate a heads up from Linden Labs on this especially with their recently announced big improvements etc for Second Life....   Regards Wirimu Dale (SL) 

It's highly unlikely LL will provide information about a potential future feature.

Mixed reality implies AR, and SL doesn't fit in at all with AR. As for virtual reality, Linden Lab stopped development a year or so ago on a viewer for the Oculus Rift. They're not going to revive VR for SL when they already have Sansar to do VR. The money LL is spending on SL is for other changes or improvements. The biggest one I know of is moving SL to the cloud. That's a change; whether it's an improvement is TBD. The improvements are things like Windlight updates and animesh, and others they're not talking about yet.

45 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I think the future is going to be AR (augmented Reality) not VR. LL might’ve backed the wrong pony on that one.

Ya say that but we all know what happened to Google Glass. AR is cool but the actual uses are pretty slim. I think only doctors really use it as basically a HUD for their patient's stats like blood pressure and all that when doing surgery.

11 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

Ya say that but we all know what happened to Google Glass. AR is cool but the actual uses are pretty slim. I think only doctors really use it as basically a HUD for their patient's stats like blood pressure and all that when doing surgery.

Ah, but Pokémon go was AR and very successful. Apple just incorporated AR into their phones. It’s more accessible than you think.

• 9 months later...

There's apps out there developed for MR devices such as the Hololens, it's coming. I can already get a MR HMD from China for under 100, there's apps that have been designed for it. It's rudimentary, but it's happening.

As for 3D via HMD for SL, you can use that already with Android, the app is called Lumiya. It's somewhat rudimentary, but it does work and it's proof that LL doesn't need to be on board with this, it will happen.
The WMR headsets are not actually MR, the cameras are designed for tracking and depth perception, they are not very good visually. It's more of a budget entry into VR. They are not a standard screen though, which means any SL app has to be developed specifically for the MR platform. This may or may not be to our benefit.

There's one thing that is certain and that is that there is demand for this. There's social apps out there for "chill and build". WMR is also compatible with Sketchup, it's actually remarkably easy to export someone's creation and move into it, using it instead of the cliff house. You can also download environments for SteamVR. Both of these allow friends to visit and you can play games together. It took me no time at all to pick up and work with Valve's hammer, their editing app which allows me to build a "level", an environment to use within steamVR.

Let's hope LL gets on board with this as SL has advantages as it is already established. If not, you can be sure someone will write an app for it. Just keep in mind that it will have to render the surrounds of the player twice and at either 60 or 90hz. The lows are going to be significant.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aimi Sugarplum said:

Let's hope LL gets on board with this as SL has advantages as it is already established. If not, you can be sure someone will write an app for it. Just keep in mind that it will have to render the surrounds of the player twice and at either 60 or 90hz. The lows are going to be significant.

They have Sansar. It has an average of 16 people in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.