A Plan for the Glytches and Improving Cash Flow :D

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Paid for search rank boost on the other hand, that can be done in secret

I used to do exactly that, but I was never paid for it because those who I boosted in the search results never knew I was doing it. My objective was not to boost their rankings but to keep one specific place lower down the rankings. And I was good at it :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Quite right. Which means that it wouldn't work at all due to most merchants, those who weren't included, being up in arms against it. In fact, the idea of buying a boost in the search results is a non-starter.

I see a problem with your logic there. Even if hosting glytches for search engine ranking was completely transparent and above board AND if the amount of boost was related to the traffic generated on your land by the hunters (hence no inflating with folks just standing there) --- HOW is this not really different from the camping of old?  Land owners KNEW they were putting down camping pads (or cuter machines) to boost traffic and they also knew that their competitors were doing the same things. Even Calla who didn't have actual camping pads, had camp for hair stands (around 12-15 if I remember correctly), plus the lucky chairs (also a big traffic booster back then) AND trivia.  

Each of the people adding those incentives (and paying lindens out for the camping pads and tivia) KNEW that they are not the only people doing it. And still, camping was all over the grid. The knowledge that they were not the only ones getting a boost didn't seem to stop the phenomenon at all. 

I very clearly remember one camping place I used to frequent. It was a wedding event planner service run by two ladies. They had lots of camping for money (not items) chairs -- maybe 30 at one point. Obviously they were spending a TON of money on these. One day one of the partners was talking to the other and was SO VERY HAPPY because they had made it to number one in the search engine. For them, the whole camper hosting was just part of their individual SL "game within a game" experience.

I really don't see how hosting glytches would be any different than that. True, camping and increased faux traffic was put to rest years ago, but it could be resurrected legally and in this small niche way.  I am not saying that is the best plan, just saying it is possible.  It has never actually been clear how the planned glytch hosting would work -- and since it hasn't happened in almost two month, it may never really happen anyway. FIRST there needs to be enough players to make a "need" and except for weekends (Sunday WAS pretty busy -- at least relatively) there just aren't many people playing. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I see a problem with your logic there. Even if hosting glytches for search engine ranking was completely transparent and above board AND if the amount of boost was related to the traffic generated on your land by the hunters (hence no inflating with folks just standing there) --- HOW is this not really different from the camping of old?

It's not my logic that's flawed. It's my misunderstanding of your suggestion. I thought you were suggesting an arbitrary boost in search rankings.

Camping was legitimate back then, so it was all fair. An arbitrary boost would be totally unfair, and that's what I thought you meant.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's not my logic that's flawed. It's my misunderstanding of your suggestion. I thought you were suggesting an arbitrary boost in search rankings.

Camping was legitimate back then, so it was all fair. An arbitrary boost would be totally unfair, and that's what I thought you meant.

Ah OK. Not what I meant :D  

On 11/13/2017 at 8:00 AM, ChinRey said:

<snip>

In a week or three now, Linden Lab is going to launch this year's big christmas sale. They will give a chosen few merchants a huge marketing boost at the other merchants' expense and even give them access to promo channels we're not actually allowed to use according to the ToS. This happens twice a year - spring and christmas - and every time it triggers a loud choir of complaints from merchants who are quite justifiably outraged by this blatant favoritism against them. The protests die fast of course but every time the little faith merchants may still have in LL's trustworthiness is diminished even furhter.

This is an example how not to do it because there is no way LL can hide it from the people they discriminate. They still try - adding insult to injury offending people's intelligence - but it's too obvious, everybody can see what's going on.

<snip>

Maybe even less than a week ... see this blog post: Sign up to participate in an official inworld shopping event this holiday season  All can apply anyway. LL chooses the winners; I suspect it's not by random selection.

25 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Maybe even less than a week ... see this blog post: Sign up to participate in an official inworld shopping event this holiday season  All can apply anyway. LL chooses the winners; I suspect it's not by random selection.

I won't be able to apply.  Some of our content might upset the kiddies :$

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.