Mesh Body Dev Kits?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How exactly does one obtain a Mesh dev kit?

I know of the sites and the applications and such.. I have been through it all.. but never once have I been able to get my hands on one.. what is that somebody has to have in order to obtain a mesh dev kit?

I know a lot of mesh body dev kit applications ask for a marketplace store location/URL and such.. are they looking for something in particular that you must sell in order to consider you for access?

My original intent was to obtain mesh bodies to create mesh items for all of them, but not a single place I have tried wishes to allow me access to one of their kits.. is it because I did not first create stuff for standard avatars yet? What are they looking for? What must I have? I have a very very good understanding on how making mesh works, texturing for myself, and everything.. but I can't create clothing for mesh avatars because there is a lack of a something? I have no idea.. They won't take me seriously it seems when I mention how long I've been mastering mesh creation (lol)..

What will it take for Senpai(s) to notice me?

As I understand it from other post here (and logic really) most all mesh body creators want people who have proven that they can make clothes for mesh bodies. It is NOT EASY, really the hardest things (other than perhaps the mesh bodies and huds) to make (well) in SL. 

And yes you are correct. If you cannot show them that you ALREADY know how to make standard size mesh garments artfully, your chances are pretty much zero.  Look at it from the creator's point of view. They don't want you PRACTICING and selling beginner quality items with THEIR bodies. They are trying to protect their brand. 

So learn how to make fitmesh for classic avatars first, have good looking items on your Marketplace site WITH good vendor photos and you "might" get a body to work with. For a very long time there were only a few people that were able to create mesh for Maitreya WELL, as there were only a few people that had the body for the weight parameters.  Now there are more (or a few busy jobber creators that sell a lot to other brands (and good for them). 

That's the story. 

Swapping the order of the quotes around a bit. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Lexii Lungu said:

My original intent was to obtain mesh bodies to create mesh items for all of them, but not a single place I have tried wishes to allow me access to one of their kits.. is it because I did not first create stuff for standard avatars yet?

I believe the main reason why the mesh body brands tend to be reluctant to give away their dev kits is that they try to protect themselves from copybotters. It's fairly easy for any reasonably competent crook to steal any content from Second Life except weight schemes for fitted mesh. Oh and scripts too but that's beside the point. So the idea was that people could steal the mesh and upload it to Second Life and other grids but without the weights, those bodys would be useless. It did work to some degree. Unlike other fashionable items which tend to be up for free on the hypegrid almost before they're for sale in SL, It took quite a while before stolen copies of the popular mesh bodies and heads appeared there.

2 hours ago, Lexii Lungu said:

I know a lot of mesh body dev kit applications ask for a marketplace store location/URL and such.. are they looking for something in particular that you must sell in order to consider you for access?

I don't know. Have you tried recently? The copybotting issue is hardly relevant anymore since there's no point in keeping the barn door closed after the horse has fled.

But it's quite possible they also want some asurance about the quality and seriousness of your business.

What must I have?

About a year ago friend of mine decided he was tired of working for others. So he quit his well paid job making models for major movies and computer games and started planning for his own business making mesh clothes for SL instead. He has a portfolio of past work that nobody I know in Second Life can possibly match, a very carefully made business plan and a product range that is more targetted towards filling some holes in the market than compete heads on aganst the big established brands. And yes, he did have some samples of well modelled mesh clothes perfectly rigged for the system body to show. He had no problems at all getting those kits. Maybe that's all it takes? ;)

I have a very very good understanding on how making mesh works, texturing for myself, and everything..

So do I but wouldn't even dream of applying for those kits myself because I know I wouldn't qualify. I've only started learning the basics of rigging (I have to do that now with animesh coming up) and it is a completely different skill than modelling. It's different enough that the big clothes brands - or at least some of them - have hired different experts to model their clothes and to rig them.

If I understand you correctly, you haven't actually tried to rig mesh yet. If so, I recommend you go through Aine's mesh tutorial. It's pre-Bento so a bit outdated (remind me to remind her to update it some day) but it's very good and thorough and should cover everything you need to know for rigging clothes. Then, when you have some good system body fitted mesh to show, apply again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.